1974 FSJ Expo Rig... Is it possible?

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Im wanting to go the expo way with my 74 FSJ Jeep but I dont want to lower it and I dont want to go diesel right now... Think a Diesel will be in order down the road though. The nice thing about the ole girl is I dont mind hacking on her to make improvements and scratching her up a bit isnt even an issue. Thinking a roll cage / roof rack is in order soon. Then a false floor in the back for storage? Is there a list of mods that should be concidered and in prioriy?. Id like to do the conversion in some type of order and to a plan. if possible. Im thinking Safty issues and items should be highest priority then creatcher comfort changes? What should come when?

I have dana a 44 in the front with a 12 bolt in the rear. 350 Chevy with a TH350 tranny. Winch is installed as well as on board air. Lockers are on the short list as well as a cage, or at least roll bar. A roof rack will be fabbed up soon after that. But what then? Suggestions are very welcome here! Thanks guys for your thoughts and ideas.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
What kind of FSJ? I would probably make sure the drivetrain is up to snuff because it is an almost 40 year old vehicle. Nothing ruins a good trip like breaking down in BFE. I would put electronic ignition on the engine. I would also probably put a throttle body EFI on or a Q-jet carb. Both the ignition and EFI/Q-jet would maximize your MPG's.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
yeah, Your right... Im already past the mechanical obsticals. It's pretty reliable as it is. Maybe a pic would help?

ebay106.jpg

The inside is gutted short of the driver seat so I have a clean slate to work off of inside.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Put some comfortable/safe seats/seatbelts in it and go exploring. Put a sleeping platform in the back and go. It looks to me like its ready to go right now.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
One thing to consider is wheel bearing life. If you have wide tall tires, the wheel bearings might become a weak link. If you have the coin or can find a buyer for your current tires to help finance, I'd say keep most of the height, but go with a thinner profile. It'll help the highway manners and the mpg's, as most overlanding miles are usually spent on the highway getting from location to location.

Also, I'd say resist the urge to get a roof rack. I'd recommend a couple thule aero boxes on top (if needed) for lightweight, bulky items, and work on organizing your rear load area. I think BJ's had a nice swingaway setup for a tire, fuel and/or water last time I checked.

Very nice, simple rig, that will probably be more machine than you'll need for exploring, but then again, you have it already and it's paid for, so why not use it, right?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Put some comfortable/safe seats/seatbelts in it and go exploring. Put a sleeping platform in the back and go. It looks to me like its ready to go right now.

That's pretty much my take too. I offered some suggestions to tweek it a bit, but with some cargo, sleeping and comfort mods, I don't see any major changes needed...

1. order some seats and install
2. get some action packers from costco
3. get a thule box from sport chalet or off craigslist for $100.00
4. gas up and go. :)

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated

Oh its off roadable but not a Expidition Vehicle by any streach of the imagination. It was built more for the weekend Desert trip which it does very well. Im thinking extended trips for a few weeks at a time away from friends, foes and anything man made.

Good point on the wheels and tires... I have a few sets and I do have some narrower wheels and tires that will fit this. Might dig them out and give them a try.

Im planning a little different interior... Being I build seat frames I was thinking a unique platform in the place of the back seat for the mutt. Then some nice seats will be in order. Right now Im running late model Explorer seats. pretty comfy.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
If you plan on a few weeks at a time here in the US you will be going by some civilization where you can stock up on supplies. If you go to BFE and stay there for a few weeks at a time then you will need some more storage options for supplies. I guess it depends on if you are going to be traveling or staying in one spot for those few weeks. Depends on where you go too. Down in the desert I would make sure I had plenty of water storage. Up here where I live I am not so much concerned about water, its easy to come by. Nice rig too.

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
HOLY COOL FSJ...nice rig! Narrow tires, a toilet paper holder, cooler full of beer ....POW its expo enough as the next rig.

All humor aside, that thing could be ready for extended "back of beyond" trips in a matter of days. Little storage, maybe a sleep platform...awesome.

My bro has one of those as well....I love the FSJ's.

mutt550

Observer
Nice Jeep!!! Don't get all hung up on all the cookie cutter expo stuff. I agree with what was said earlier. "Its paid for" so run it and enjoy it. Dare to be differnt and have fun with it!! Keep the rubber side down:victory:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Yeah your right guys... Guess I was thinking too much about the "Cookie Cutter" Stuff more than anything. I do need to add some storage and Im not a big fan of Tubs, Boxes, and Pods so some type of second floor in the rear is in order I think. Its also just tall enough and only having 2 doors access inside isnt the easiest. Id like to open the side of the body to access shelves that would hold tow ropes and regularly used items. This would make getting items easily from the outside of the vehicle on the trails. Daring to be different! LOL Thanks again guys for the input. Guess I am on the right track after all.

Super mud

Cool fsj. My friend has an 81 cherokee 360 stuffin 33x12.50s on no lift. Hell a fsj would be my first choice to build into any type of rig. Say swap in a chevy 5.3 with a 4 speed auto and your getting better mpg than a Jk while smokin it too. Also screw the bed platform. I'm 6 3" and can lay down in the back with the back seat just folded up. Personally I used to think 4bt swaps were the way to go but are probobly more difficult and expensive compared to a modern junker v8 swap. Also will make more power and torque without driving you insane with you know what.

Kardec

I traveled a bit in one of these. Fuel mileage was always a limiting factor but a diesel swap could be a nightmare. A more efficient V8 or just throw some gas cans in a rack on the back and tune the heck out of her ... back when gas was not only expensive but hard to get I had a hot rod Mustang and a great mechanic squeezed about 2.5 mpg more out of it by just getting everything set up precisely ... really precisely. I brought it in every couple of weeks for awhile and he'd pull a plug and examine it to determine how well the fuel was burning and then adjust things a bit more. It was pretty impressive.

I love these old jeeps ... absolutely classic.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
The only thing Jeep is the body... I streched a K5 Jimmy frame 2.5 inches and put the body on it along with the 350ci, TH350 auto trans, D44 front and 12 bolt rear. I think it works just fine now to finish it up into the rig I want it to be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior