1974 Coleman Valley Forge - Complete gut job

slepe67

Thanks bud!

It hasnt been too bad, but Im getting impatient of all the little things. i just want to go camping! LOL

I cut out the damage as a nice 3 x 13" rectangle.

I laid in the top sheet of 7/16" OSB and bolted it down.

I cut a patch piece of 3/8" ply to replace the damaged area and ran a couple wood screws from the top to temporarily hold it in place while I fit my steel plate underneath.

Gorilla Glued in the patch piece from the bottom.

Bolted in steel plate.

Transcribed measurments from where the brace attaches to the bed.

Drilled from top to bottom, thru plate.

Riveted mount from bottom side to plate.

I see no reason why it wont work. Will see next weekend.

20200516_145138.jpg

As you can see, everything is masked off so I can paint underneath. it still had a tinge of mouse urine, so I Kilz'd it and painted over that.

Photo above should help describe what I did. if not, please let me know.

Lastly, I went to the local fabric store to price foam cushions for the dinette. It wssnt cheap, so I may go to WalMart and pick up a 4" memory foam mattress topper.

Thinking burlap seats with the backrests in this pattern. 20200514_181401.jpg

Attachments

• 20200516_145138.jpg
    20200516_145138.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 5

slepe67

Dinnette boards are cut and in.

I didnt like how the seat structure was held in place by a couple 1/2" long screws, so I made a quick brace and screwed it to the inner wall. Again, no idea if it'll work, but feels stronger than it was.
20200516_185241.jpg

20200516_185456.jpg

I actually think I'll get canvas on tomorrow!

slepe67

Canvas is ON!
A little BEFORE/AFTER for posterity!
20190330_163445.jpg
20200518_161522.jpg

Had my Little Helper out with the padding.

One end fit PERFECTLY. The other was a 1/2" too wide and required trimming. Both beds are the same measurement, but the foam pads are different sizes. Even though we bought a full box of the floor mats, they are slightly different. Oh well, looks good. Onto the next task.

Dinette seats.

There's a place called Joann's Fabrics and they have great deals. Saved $80 via my Mom's coupons!!!

I felt soooo out of place here, but friendly and VERY patient and helpful staff.

Trim to fit. this stuff is EXPENSIVE!
20200518_181229.jpg
20200518_164648.jpg

I have a few things to tidy up, and check wheel bearings, but I think Im ready to camp this weekend!

Attachments

• 20190330_163445.jpg
    20190330_163445.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

slepe67

New wheel bearings installed. Didnt install races. They seemed OK....tired tapping one out, it wasnt budging. It was 10PM & I was tired. History shall decide...

20200519_132358.jpg
After thrashing for the last week or so, it's a usable camper. I was BUSY and didnt take any photos as most of what I was doing was mundane and not really pertinent to the camper.

The wife went inside & was giddy as a schooo girl. "It smells brand new!" (It should, it IS brand new!?)

Installed a few AAA powered LED pucks for easy access lighting, as well as a few LED lanterns for cabin lighting.

A lot of things arent in stock, like memory foam mattress toppers. COVID?

I needed 2x Full mattresses for the beds. three stores later, I just grabbed a 4" King size and trimmed it down. The remainder piece actually fits the dinette bed nicely!

For the other bed, we'll use our inflatable mattress. Hoping it fits. Something about waiting until the last minute...

Cushioned covers added also.

So, here I was...the night before departure, breathing a sign of relief, when my 11 yr old son says, "Dad, the tires look low." Crap! Spaced that OUT! So the tire needs to be at 70 PSI...they read 40. Went to fire up my okd trusty, dusty pancke conpresser (which I used yesterday). It' s toast. Great. Wonderful. Terrific.

Hook up trailer and tow to a friends house and 9:45PM and air up all 3, and have a couple Busch Lattes while talking about our trip tomorrow.

Via con Dios, amigo!
20200521_210054.jpg

⚡The way forward⚡:
We'll use it this week and get things where we like them and discuss future options for power, etc.

Pictures to follow!

johnmcfarlandaz

New wheel bearings installed. Didnt install races. They seemed OK....tired tapping one out, it wasnt budging. It was 10PM & I was tired. History shall decide...

View attachment 587351
After thrashing for the last week or so, it's a usable camper. I was BUSY and didnt take any photos as most of what I was doing was mundane and not really pertinent to the camper.

The wife went inside & was giddy as a schooo girl. "It smells brand new!" (It should, it IS brand new!?)

Installed a few AAA powered LED pucks for easy access lighting, as well as a few LED lanterns for cabin lighting.

I needed 2x Full mattresses for the beds. three stores later, I just grabbed a 4" King size and trimmed it down. The remainder piece actually fits the dinette bed nicely!

For the other bed, we'll use our inflatable mattress. Hoping it fits. Something about waiting until the last minute...

So, here I was...the night before departure, breathing a sign of relief, when my 11 yr old son says, "Dad, the tires look low." Crap! Spaced that OUT! So the tire needs to be at 70 PSI...they read 40. Went to fire up my okd trusty, dusty pancke conpresser (which I used yesterday). It' s toast. Great. Wonderful. Terrific.

Hook up trailer and tow to a friends house and 9:45PM and air up all 3, and have a couple Busch Lattes while talking about our trip tomorrow.

Via con Dios, amigo!
View attachment 587352

⚡The way forward⚡:
We'll use it this week and get things where we like them and discuss future options for power, etc.

Pictures to follow!
Working on a 1975 Valley Forge. Outer bearing

View attachment 587351

Via con Dios, amigo!
View attachment 587352

⚡The way forward⚡:

Pictures to follow!

View attachment 587351

Via con Dios, amigo!
View attachment 587352

⚡The way forward⚡:

Pictures to follow!
Working on a 1975 Valley Forge and wondering if the outer and inner bearings were both 11949 i.e straight 3/4" spindle. I was hoping to find a spare hub to take on trips but no luck so far. Where did you find the bearing kit with races and seals? Thanks!

Last edited:

slepe67

Ah, welcome to the Coleman Club! LOL

We've spent a fair amount of time in ours after the "restoration". My wife has been hinting that she misses using our 5th wheel....so I may sell this little guy and get an old truck camper to restore/modify much like the Scout Truck Campers.

As far as the bearings go, I think you may be on the right path regarding pre-loaded spare hubs...but if you aren't driving over 60/95mph, I think your bearings are good for about 3,000 miles between servicing.

I actually went to a local bearing supply company. I live in a small town in Montana, so I imagine those types of stores aren't too difficult to find. Just bring in the old ones and they should have them in stock. The guy said the size was fairly common. Make sure you buy spares, too!

My next update for this trailer (if I keep it) is going to be larger leaf springs, wheels and tires. I went through 2 brand new tires this summer, pinhole leaks, no roadside repairs. Montana roads are rough.

Again, welcome to your new project. These things are super easy to work on.

Hilt me up if you have any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94