1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I've been lurking on your thread for a while and have been so impressed with your ideas and work. It would be interesting to read how you decided to make the transition from the Wagoneer to the Rubicon. I imagine there are a lot of folk wrestling with the same decision. Probably as many as would want a chance to pick up the Wagoneer.

The decision was based on the following:

I was tired of being uncomfortable.
I was tired of being hot.
I was tired of being dusty
I was tired of breathing exhaust.
I was tired of water coming in.
I was tired of rattles and tons of road noise.
I was tired of incredibly harsh ride both on and off road.
I was tired of having a not very capable 4x4
I was tired of having a not very reliable 4x4
I was tired of having an incredibly inefficient (12mpg on a good day) 4x4 with a 20 gallon tank.
I was tired of always feeling worried and nervous any time I was more than like 50 miles from home.

Wife needed a new daily, it made sense to use that opportunity to get something that will help further our lifestyle, and be a help, rather than a hindrance, to the things that are important to us. So we went out and got a car that would NOT limit us in the ways that the wagoneer did, and something that I don't have to build or mod. I cant fathom anything other than some skidplates and bumpers until these tires wear out in like 50,000 miles.

The wagoneer had become the limiting factor to our exploration and adventures. Physically and mentally. Over the last 9 years I've put 30,000 miles on it, all over NV, AZ and CA. I've made it significantly more reliable, and made significant improvements in every aspect of its performance, but.... I'm not a poor recently graduated guy in my20's anymore, and it was time for something I don't have to worry about. If i was making half way decent money back then, i'd have had a Rubicon TJ or LJ instead of my wagoneer.

As much as some folks tell me they "love" seeing my pictures and how much "cooler" the wagoneer is, my answer stays the same as it has for several years. "you say all that, but you're not the one driving and maintaining it." I dont "do it for the gram" like so many folks these days, and while I like that folks like my rickety old wagon, I dont do it for them. I do it for me, my wife, and my dog. Our safety, comfort, and ability come first.

Theres no animosity towards the wagoneer in this post, I'm just saying how it is. I still have it, not planning to get rid of it any time soon, still plan to fix up the interior so its presentable, but beyond that, it's just around for nostalgic reasons now.

Last edited:

Umnak

Adventurer
Well, you lay out an excellent argument for your decision. Your list is especially relevant to me as I look longingly at the older Land Cruisers, Defenders and domestic vehicles that catch my eye, but get passed on for something with greater comfort and reliability. You've done impressive work on the Wagoneer, now you get to spend more time playing with and less working on the vehicle. It will be nice to watch that story unfold.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, you lay out an excellent argument for your decision. Your list is especially relevant to me as I look longingly at the older Land Cruisers, Defenders and domestic vehicles that catch my eye, but get passed on for something with greater comfort and reliability. You've done impressive work on the Wagoneer, now you get to spend more time playing with and less working on the vehicle. It will be nice to watch that story unfold.

Yup! Pretty much all of that.

The Wag has been great, and obviously has given us so many great experiences, but as I mentioned above the people who don't drive it really don't understand the cost, or toll involved in that. We find old vehicles attracxtive because they look neat and arent seen as often, and because of a supposed "simplicity" that we somehow equate to "reliability".

Look at my wesome old EMP proof wagoneer! Carburetor! Points! Oldschool ruggedness!

Well, my carburetor gave me massive headaches due to lack of ability on rough trails, as well as issues like vapor locking and running right at altitude. So, eventually I went to electric fuel pumps, then electronic ignition, then eventually added a whole fuel injection system full of computers and whatnot. So much for rugged old simplicity. Even with all of that, it still doesnt perform anywhere near as well as even a factory TBI vehicle.

Then you get to the creature comforts, etc.

It's definitely a romantic image, thinking about cruising around the world in an old vehicle. But after you've done it, you realize there are much better alternatives that might be available.

Anyway...This wagoneer isnt going anywhere soon so no worries!

pittsburgh

tacocat

The Wag has been great, and obviously has given us so many great experiences, but as I mentioned above the people who don't drive it really don't understand the cost, or toll involved in that. We find old vehicles attracxtive because they look neat and arent seen as often, and because of a supposed "simplicity" that we somehow equate to "reliability".

Look at my wesome old EMP proof wagoneer! Carburetor! Points! Oldschool ruggedness!

Well, my carburetor gave me massive headaches due to lack of ability on rough trails, as well as issues like vapor locking and running right at altitude. So, eventually I went to electric fuel pumps, then electronic ignition, then eventually added a whole fuel injection system full of computers and whatnot. So much for rugged old simplicity. Even with all of that, it still doesnt perform anywhere near as well as even a factory TBI vehicle.

It's definitely a romantic image, thinking about cruising around the world in an old vehicle. But after you've done it, you realize there are much better alternatives that might be available.

It’s funny I keep telling myself the LJ I should more reliable and easier to work on blah blah blah then getting a JKU or JLU. But, I am afraid to drive it from Pittsburgh to Moab to Denver. I am currently looking into what it will cost to make me feel confident driving it across country but sometimes I think I should sell it to pay off my Tacoma and use it as a platform for a mild expedition/off-road build. But that nostalgia gets me every time, and then I wouldn’t be a Jeep guy. I would just be some dude happy and smiling on the trail ?

Umnak

Adventurer

Our decision to sell our 2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter after a 3-year road trip was pretty easy. A truck camper gave us a second vehicle that could be used on bad roads and was almost 4 feet shorter. Turns out a truck camper would have been a better choice for the road trip, knowing what we do now.
Still, there was that 1990 Defender with a pop-up that almost took 1st place. Then I thought about being in central Oregon high desert and needing someone to work on it; bought a domestic truck instead.

Last edited:

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well, nothing new here.

I drove it the other day for the first time in forever. Just to blow the dust off of it, and damn the thing runs great.

I have had pretty serious discussions with 3 or 4 interested parties., even had transport arranged, a deposit about to be made, etc. But, as always, things fall through. So, while its not openly listed on the market, I've been entertaining offers and having discussions with a few people that I feel would be the right buyers to carry this thing into its next phase of life.

Anyway....its still alive and kicking, but mostly just sits in the garage covered with boxes. Pics fropm when i drug it out a few weeks ago:
1589219666240.png
1589219671760.png

Bushmaster5K

Nice to see a few fresh pic's. I would of loved to see it in person on the "*umbo grade" run a little bit ago. Look forward to seeing what you do with the JLR. Love the classics, someday we are going to get a Waggy project.

SVTRIT

The decision was based on the following:

I was tired of being uncomfortable.
I was tired of being hot.
I was tired of being dusty
I was tired of breathing exhaust.
I was tired of water coming in.
I was tired of rattles and tons of road noise.
I was tired of incredibly harsh ride both on and off road.
I was tired of having a not very capable 4x4
I was tired of having a not very reliable 4x4
I was tired of having an incredibly inefficient (12mpg on a good day) 4x4 with a 20 gallon tank.
I was tired of always feeling worried and nervous any time I was more than like 50 miles from home.

Wife needed a new daily, it made sense to use that opportunity to get something that will help further our lifestyle, and be a help, rather than a hindrance, to the things that are important to us. So we went out and got a car that would NOT limit us in the ways that the wagoneer did, and something that I don't have to build or mod. I cant fathom anything other than some skidplates and bumpers until these tires wear out in like 50,000 miles.

The wagoneer had become the limiting factor to our exploration and adventures. Physically and mentally. Over the last 9 years I've put 30,000 miles on it, all over NV, AZ and CA. I've made it significantly more reliable, and made significant improvements in every aspect of its performance, but.... I'm not a poor recently graduated guy in my20's anymore, and it was time for something I don't have to worry about. If i was making half way decent money back then, i'd have had a Rubicon TJ or LJ instead of my wagoneer.

As much as some folks tell me they "love" seeing my pictures and how much "cooler" the wagoneer is, my answer stays the same as it has for several years. "you say all that, but you're not the one driving and maintaining it." I dont "do it for the gram" like so many folks these days, and while I like that folks like my rickety old wagon, I dont do it for them. I do it for me, my wife, and my dog. Our safety, comfort, and ability come first.

Theres no animosity towards the wagoneer in this post, I'm just saying how it is. I still have it, not planning to get rid of it any time soon, still plan to fix up the interior so its presentable, but beyond that, it's just around for nostalgic reasons now.

This is exactly why my dad sold his one owner Cuda (he bought new)and bought a new Mustang. Tired of all the old, and ready for comfort.

As much as I wish I could have bought it, I know I too would have become tired of the old, as wrenching on my YJ is starting to hurt me more than I’d like to admit. Good luck with the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Nice to see a few fresh pic's. I would of loved to see it in person on the "*umbo grade" run a little bit ago. Look forward to seeing what you do with the JLR. Love the classics, someday we are going to get a Waggy project.
I should have brought it out, but i was so caught up with the shiny new doorless one, lol.

And sadly, not really ever going to do too much to the JLUR, because it doesnt need much, and because I'm a poor, and because its my wifes daily driver. I've gone from being the guy with the rig that everybody asks about, to having the most stock, run of the mill, even most boring color jeep on any given run lol.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Forgive me if I missed it but what are you asking for it?

I'm not openly asking anything for it, as its not actually on the market. This isn't a "looking for interest" type post, sorry if it came across that way. I constantly get "Let me know if you ever wanna sell it!" type comments, and of those a few here and there are people that are actually kinda sorta seriously interested, so I have a discussion with them.

If you're legitimately interested in it you can let me know via PM.

Bushmaster5K

I should have brought it out, but i was so caught up with the shiny new doorless one, lol.

And sadly, not really ever going to do too much to the JLUR, because it doesnt need much, and because I'm a poor, and because its my wifes daily driver. I've gone from being the guy with the rig that everybody asks about, to having the most stock, run of the mill, even most boring color jeep on any given run lol.
It's all good. The JLUR is so capable, you really don't need to do anything to it. Hope to see yah on a future run.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I've enjoyed reading about your adventures in this truck for a long time. Would love to own a rig like it. How much are you asking?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne