1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
So, this was the most recent trip, and this was a trip that brought up some issues.

Angles Peak.

the trail goes up over 8000', up to the observatory on Mt. Charleston. I wasnt worried about the elevation, but I was told the last mile or two of the trail gets kinda sketchy.

Started out as normal, just gaining alot of elevation. I was with 3 rubicons and a mostly stock TJ.
IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

And here we come. You can see the phone poles are gaining elevation quick.
IMG_5284.jpg

The rubi's all shifted into 4 low and flipped their cute little locker switch. I got ready for some fun.

In this pic, up where the red jeep is is about as far as I made it. I got past the tight turns where the white one is, and we all paused for a little bit to take stock of the hill. decently sized rocks, lots of loose sand and shale, and a pretty steep incline with uneven footing.
IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

2012-08-04_09-30-21_710.jpg

Well, This is as far as I got.
IMG_5291.jpg

I was maybe 50 yards further up the hill (right where the base of that 2nd phone pole is), bouncing around, getting dug in, and giving it plenty of skinny pedal to power my way up the hill. Soon as i got dug in and let off the gas, the truck would shut off. I could start it up if I tried, but the steep angle, bouncing, and off camber stance did me in. My carb just kept flooding. I could keep it running my opening the throttle but soon as I let off it would die out. I backed down to where that pic was taken, and told the rubi's over the radio I was turning around. The stock TJ behind me followed me out because he wasnt too keen on trying the hill either.

Afterwards the Rubi guys said they were definitely slipping and sliding too, but after that hill it got smooth for a while, then the next uphill section was just as bad.

So, my truck was bested by a hill. Sad. Carburetors have their limits, especially street carbs. I've got some mods planned for my carb (off road needles and seats, lowering the floats, putting fuel line in the bowl vent) that should help me out, but I'm not about to drop $400 on a truck avenger, or $1500 on fuel injection at this time.

So, that pretty much catches us up to now. That was a month or two ago, and here we are. The truck is running great, I used it to tow around the camper all weekend, and we've got 2 trips planned in the near future. This weekend we are headed back to Carpenter canyon (sans camper) for an overnighter, and in 3 weeks we are headed back up to Ely for a 2 nighter. I'm planning to bring the pop up for that one!

Thanks for reading, I'll keep updating!

00XJ

Awesome build! I've been following it on JF. Have you built a gun rack for you shooting trips yet?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Did you guys air down at all for that hill attempt? That can make a large difference in how one can handle the off pavement trails.
Keep your eye peeled on CL or do your research for a DIY TBI conversion. I can tell you the difference between it and a carb are amazing! And by using junk yard parts you can do it pretty cheap. You have the skills and if you do it right it will be nearly a "stealth" mod that nobody will really notice which keeps with the theme. :)

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I had similar issues with my 6 cyl. Eagle when I was in Moab. I've had everything to install fuel injection for over a year, but just been putting it off since I will be using Megasquirt and it needs custom tuning. My 87 Eagle with the Chevy 5.3L EFI works wonderful offroad.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Awesome build! I've been following it on JF. Have you built a gun rack for you shooting trips yet?

No, not yet, but I was wondering about that. It wouldnt be for shooting trips though, i take too many guns, i'd need a hell of a rack.

Did you guys air down at all for that hill attempt? That can make a large difference in how one can handle the off pavement trails.
Keep your eye peeled on CL or do your research for a DIY TBI conversion. I can tell you the difference between it and a carb are amazing! And by using junk yard parts you can do it pretty cheap. You have the skills and if you do it right it will be nearly a "stealth" mod that nobody will really notice which keeps with the theme. :)

I didnt air down, simply because I didn't want to have to air back up.

And i've barely begun looking into fuel injection. i need to better decide what i'm going to be doing with the engine before I go that route.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I always found that with the lowest possible air pressure on my 83 F/S Cherokee (6cyl, 4sp,33x10.50 BFG muds) I encountered a lot less wheel spin and seemed to get more grip. Helps get you where you want without much freaking out... ;)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I always found that with the lowest possible air pressure on my 83 F/S Cherokee (6cyl, 4sp,33x10.50 BFG muds) I encountered a lot less wheel spin and seemed to get more grip. Helps get you where you want without much freaking out... ;)

Yeah, i will sometimes air down, I would have been SOL this time though because I dont have a compressor.

The biggest issue was the bumpy off camber stuff, wreaking havoc on my carb's ability to maintain that ever so perfect air/fuel ratio.

Diesel swap!!!

If you don't have anything constructive to add, pipe down!

bahaha....see you on saturday dude.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Just got back from a camping Trip with vegasjeepguy and photojared.

I'm sure I'll update with everything a little later, but all went well, no real issues (though i did break a shock mount that I broke once before).

392084_10151135416913346_1436762256_n.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
Beautiful FSJ! You have me wishing i still owned my 82 GW. I really like what you are doing with this truck, and the fact that you are out there using it!

It's tough to tell if the above picture was taken 20 minutes, or 20 years ago....perfection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior