1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
I understand your frustration, if you decide to sell i hope someone that gets it appreciates it. You've done a great job with it and i've thoroughly enjoyed following along. Best of luck whichever direction you decide to head.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I've really enjoyed reading this thread..... and I've learned a lot too!
Your part of the reason I bought a Wagoneer for myself!...... I'm even eyeballin' pop up trailers too!
Good Luck in the future........ whatever direction you take!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
X2!
Great manifold. Will look good all dressed out. :)

This could beocme a very slippery slope.

Well, i'm pulling the intake....might as well do the timing set.....well, timing cover is off.....

fast forward a year and the engine is still in pieces in the garage and at the machine shops.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
This could beocme a very slippery slope.

Well, i'm pulling the intake....might as well do the timing set.....well, timing cover is off.....

fast forward a year and the engine is still in pieces in the garage and at the machine shops.

That's my M.O. :eek:
So, just swap the manifold and call it good.
Or buy a spare engine, and build that one. Then just do the swap when you're ready. :)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Or buy a spare engine, and build that one. Then just do the swap when you're ready. :)

thats kind of what I did last time. My engine had a bunch of bottom end noise "well, i just need a runner that i can use until i build my original engine"

Went and picked up one from a 1987 grand wag with 155k on the odometer for $225. "This should work" and dropped it in the wag and put the original one on a stand.

Flash forward 6 years and like 20,000 miles.....still running that one from the 87! Gave my other one to a scrapper when I left Vegas because I didn't feel like moving it.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm in the "Swap and call it good" camp too! I'm finding that a running Jeep is WAY more fun than a high performance Jeep that needs tinkering with or is in pieces.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm in the "Swap and call it good" camp too! I'm finding that a running Jeep is WAY more fun than a high performance Jeep that needs tinkering with or is in pieces.

Amen Brother!
I pulled the front axle out of the Scout a year ago (literally), and still haven't made time to rebuild it...
So sits the Scout. :(

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Sooooo after I had to reach back out to MSD they're telling me, literally in as few words ‘it's your HEI'

Apparently HEI's put out a weak tach signal and that's MAYBE what's causing my issue.

So I can run an MSD 6A type box...or something. We'll see if I act on this. If I'm changing up my ignition and spending money I'm going to get t set up for timing control which I do not think is possible with a standard HEI distributor so that will need replacing as well.

Andrew_S

Observer
Just read through the thread. Seriously what a great jeep! Love all the work you've done to it. Very good mix of build and adventure pics. Looking forward to seeing more.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sooooo after I had to reach back out to MSD they're telling me, literally in as few words ‘it's your HEI'

Apparently HEI's put out a weak tach signal and that's MAYBE what's causing my issue.

So I can run an MSD 6A type box...or something. We'll see if I act on this. If I'm changing up my ignition and spending money I'm going to get t set up for timing control which I do not think is possible with a standard HEI distributor so that will need replacing as well.

I've been following along for a while as well, thought I would chime in. I did a megasquirt EFI conversion on my 1973 Land Rover Series 3 with the stock 4 cylinder. Total home brew.

Your description sounds like what I had with ignition issues. Specifically, tach signal to the computer. Initially, I didn't strip the wire correctly. Tach signal wires are shielded, and I didn't strip back the shielding. So a bad connection there. Then the spade connector that connected to my coil wasn't any good! So I experienced the same problem you did, randomly, no tach signal, no injection. Like you, had no problems for a long time. Then all of a sudden, cutting in and out. Over time the connection wiggled loose and that was it.

Also I had a couple of bad coils. When the car was cold, no problems but a few miles down the road, issues.

But yes, I think ignition is where you need to be looking at. I'd start by looking at all of your connections. Do you have a way to data log? That is what will help you determine where you need to look. When you have an episode, you can see what goes to crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94