1973 Sears Clamshell rebuild

Swiftone

Sweet build! Glad you saved the vintage trailer. Being it now looks presentable, I'd doubt you would have a problem unloading it when the time comes.
Me too. It was a fun project and it is a strong reminder of how things were built "back in the day". My "finished" post comes across like I was not happy with it. Bad choice of words on my behalf. We are very pleased and it will be a valued part of our stable. Having more fun with it today adding solar panels to the roof racks.
Because you can leave it packed and ready to rock!

It's like a bug-out bag, but for camping. Never know when the boss won't let you sneak out after lunch on a Friday...

Exactly! and my wife also brought up another good point. When on the road we can lock up our stuff instead of leaving it in the bed of the truck and possibly stolen.

Today's efforts: This picture was taken as I was figuring out angles and how to mount the panel so it can be deployed. Going for a horizontal panel with the lid opened to the stops. Going to have it pivot on the back rail and make new legs that will lock into the front rail. Pretty much have it figured out and will do the work sometime this weekend.

Reactions: plh

old_CWO

Mount the panel fixed to the lid horizontally. Make the lid height adjustable so you can angle the panel based on season and latitude.

much simpler and your solar will be more effective.

just a thought

Swiftone

Mount the panel fixed to the lid horizontally. Make the lid height adjustable so you can angle the panel based on season and latitude.
much simpler and your solar will be more effective.
just a thought

I agree, but that lid is heavy. 100% steel and I rigged a folding lock that keeps it open at a set height. Easier and safer to adjust the panel. It is only charging a 40 ah LiFep04 battery and in use it takes only 3 to 4 hours of CA winter sun to top off overnight draw from my CFX 35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior