-1973 K5 - Project Canyonero

mekcanix

Camper
Very sorry for your loss. From what I have read here you are doing it right making good memories with the kids, cause in the end thats whats most important. From one sentimental guy to another good luck and make the best memories

Condolences. My father passed when I was 10 and my mom (now 86!) made sure I spent lots of time on outdoor adventures. Keep it up with the kids...they’ll thank you for it.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Just read the entire thread. Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss.

There is a 35 gallon tank and matching skid from later K5's (available at least from '81 to '91) that should fit in the factory location on your truck.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Like everyone else I am also sorry to hear about your loss. I have follwed your thread forever and have admired your good work. I too lost a loved one. {lung cancer} So I know how you feel. Our projects are sometimes the only things that keep us going. The struggle is long and hard but in the end you emerge stronger and sometimes with a more fullfilled life. At least you have the children to love and give you strength. I wish you the best. Cheers,
Chilli.. ?

arveetek

Adventurer
I can't imagine what you've gone through. But I commend you for making the effort to carry on with the kids and get them out exploring. You got the right attitude for sure. Keep the truck as it looks very capable to get you and the kiddos out into the boonies.

Ditto! Praying for you and your family during this difficult time.

Casey

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Like everyone else I am also sorry to hear about your loss. I have follwed your thread forever and have admired your good work. I too lost a loved one. {lung cancer} So I know how you feel. Our projects are sometimes the only things that keep us going. The struggle is long and hard but in the end you emerge stronger and sometimes with a more fullfilled life. At least you have the children to love and give you strength. I wish you the best. Cheers,
Chilli.. ?

Good to hear from you man. Thank you.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I can't imagine what you've gone through. But I commend you for making the effort to carry on with the kids and get them out exploring. You got the right attitude for sure. Keep the truck as it looks very capable to get you and the kiddos out into the boonies.

As far as the Blazer goes, keep at it. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it in the end. Break it up into smaller jobs that you can knock in a couple of days or less. Keep them small so when you do get it done you get the feeling of accomplishment crossing that task off the list. When the kids can help, get them involved. Even if it's just cleaning up the Blazer or picking out accessories. It will be a lasting good memory working on it together. You have any questions about it you need help with hit me up. I'm always happy to help.

That's the advice my dad is giving me too. I wanna start cutting body panels and he says, "well let's get the steering column fixed". I have tried to include him in this since I got it, for the same reasons you mentioned. It's good advice.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'd get parts together and have them on hand before tackling an individual job. This way you can pull the part and get to work installing the new one. Doing it all the same day or weekend keeps the memory fresh on how stuff goes together too.

Body panels are a little more complex but the same concept applies.

It's the same way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
It's the same way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

That is something else my dad said to me, start with a toe...

I think I have all of the parts to start with the front end. I have a whole 2nd truckl, sort of just in case.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Yes! Thanks so much for the bump. Not a lot of progress on the K5 though but the Silverado looks very different. I can't believe it has been two years since that last post. I have remarried, lost 100 pounds, lost my job of 16 years due to Covid, lost more and more and more family, moved across Texas, and got rehired. So much has changed in my life, but the K5 is still sitting. Plan was to get my shop built and get to work on it after but I think the new plan is:

1) buy my wife a GMT-600 burb 2500/8.1
2) rebuild the K5 this spring

We have 2 trips planned in the Silverado cor this year, one to PINS in about 6 weeks and one across the west from Arizona to Kings Canyon.

I'm strongly considering selling it if I can find a Sqaurebody Crew Cab I like.

I am in Oklahoma at a funeral, but I will post pictures of the Silverado and K5 when I get home today or tomorrow.

ThundahBeagle

Read the whole thread. Big big fan of full size Blazers. Had 2 1990's full size Blazers, obviously a slightly different animal but overall the same. I finally gave up on them when the frames went. I'm in the Northeast.

At times I thought, what the hell is this guy doing, that he keeps destroying this thing we love so much. But then you kept rebuilding.

Very sorry to hear of your wife's passing. I can understand how that must have been. Glad you are keeping the kids adventures alive with a newer truck. Safer. Longer range. More parts availability. Less time in the shop for needed repairs.

Congratulations on getting rehired and finding a new bride to share your days with.

Colorado Jon

Thanks for sharing your story so far... I really enjoyed reading your journey with the K5, I have been enticed by them for the past few years and your story gives me a great reality check. It is crazy how much money they are fetching these days.

Sorry to hear about your family and it sounds like things are going better, glad to see that. Happy trails to you and the fam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles