1973 K10 Wilderness Camper Budget Build

chasespeed

Explorer
Looking good man... overall, how was the labor itself with the roller method? I am looking to do my truck in Satin Black, because there are just so many ding and crap, I am dont want anything TOO shiny...

Second... I love the c-clamps.. been there, done that...

IF you want, I have a slew of the camper clamps that I am not using... mine is BOLTED to the bed rails... so.. these are nice aluminum clamps...

Yours for the asking...

Another thought on the span of the bed... You could always use some angle iron, just above the wheel wells, along 3 sides... and span it with that. That will allow more headroom, while a little less storage, bu, careful thought and planning should solve that as well...

Chase

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind comments.
I think its important to say that the truck looks better in the pics than it does in real life, but having said that the whole purpose was to make a no nonsense daily usable driver that you can take out and abuse without fretting over scrapes and scratches.
The rustoleum pain seems to hold up well, altho around the gas filler it has peeled a little.

And here was my sunday workout..
Herculinered!
Prep
IMG_3156.jpg

Coat 1
IMG_3159.jpg

Coat 2
IMG_3161.jpg

Keyblazer

Adventurer
A few of you asked about the effort required..
I thought it was less work than a conventional paint job, but then I think the results are not as good. Cost to paint was less than $100 at a guess, and was done over several weekends. You can roller it and drive it within an hour!
Lets face it, this truck is gonna get desert pinstripped, scratched and scraped. I wanted something that didnt make me wince when it got damaged, and if I needed to I can fix it at home!
I rerollered it after the buffed out pics, and I kinda like the shiny but textured finish because it does not show the bad sheet metal as much.

chasespeed

Explorer
A few of you asked about the effort required..
I thought it was less work than a conventional paint job, but then I think the results are not as good. Cost to paint was less than $100 at a guess, and was done over several weekends. You can roller it and drive it within an hour!
Lets face it, this truck is gonna get desert pinstripped, scratched and scraped. I wanted something that didnt make me wince when it got damaged, and if I needed to I can fix it at home!
I rerollered it after the buffed out pics, and I kinda like the shiny but textured finish because it does not show the bad sheet metal as much.

Exactly why I am thinking about going this route.....I got some dents, and dings and all... but, I really want it ONE COLOR.....

And, I will get those clamps out soon... just running ragged here....

Chase

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer

Nice project you have going. Got to love the old GM trucks.

Here is mine… 13 years of a project and still going at it.

3571974956_ee244e2e36.jpg

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Just more distractions....
A 1983 Yamaha XS650 a friend of mine asked me to remove from the side yard.. been there for 18 years!
Only too glad to help!

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

Thats why the Camper shell was off...and I had a Herculiner kit waiting...

Last edited:

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Oh, and if that was not enough...
Here is some more of my collection of distractions...

1973 Blazer
Blazer001E.jpg

1974 Alfa Spider
AlfaTopE.jpg

1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 454 2wd (Before you ask thats the main frame for my restoration Auto Rotissary in the foreground!)
Rottiserie3E.jpg

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9
Jeep20E.jpg

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
I'm loving these "budget" domestic builds that are cropping up lately. Very cool to see what the inginuity of expo members can put togeth with little monetary investment. Lots of good ideas here.

Also digging that alfa spyder! I've never seen one with a hard top before. That and the headlamp covers really change the "attitude" of that car. Mini-lites/panasports don't hurt either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles