1971 VW Campmobile

VashonVW

I don't see too many buses on this site but this is a really cool adventure vehicle that comes with an awesome story…

In 2013, I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire (yes that show is still on, and yes they still give away mad cash). Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JouLJ-iGMwA

At around the 1 minute mark I start talking about what I’m going to do with my winnings, which is to buy an old *** van (they wouldn’t let me say VW bus) and drive to South America. While the trip never materialized, I did go out and buy this bus less than a month after receiving my winnings.

Selling this thing is one of the hardest things I’ve ever decided to do. I effing love this bus but, with a new baby and a wife who doesn’t trust the safety features from a vehicle produced over 45 years ago, it’s time for Aggie to find a new home. It’s a ’71 Campmobile so it has all the things people love about the best year (disc brakes, low lights, accessible dual port engine, pop-top) with a completely rebuilt, custom interior, and nearly zero rust (only spot is a credit card sized patch under the driver’s seat). The PO was a woodworker and rebuilt the cabinets, Z-bed, and jump seat to a more functional setup (IMO). He also installed wood floors with a vapor barrier beneath. My favorite part about this is he brought the cabinets on the slider side down lower so the back left window is accessible and lets light in.

I’ve spent thousands of dollars on this girl over the years with a complete engine rebuild about 2,000 miles ago (done by Adam Bruno, former mechanic for Wolfsburg Motorwerks in Seattle), new heater cores, new oil cooler, completely rebuilt front brakes, new door panels, cv boots, starter motor, etc, etc, etc. She runs great, has had all her major needs fixed and is ready to rock for summer adventures.

Outside, she was rear ended about 2 years ago and the apron and rear deck lid took the brunt of the force. They are a bit dented in but it didn’t effect performance and isn’t super noticeable so I held off on getting it fixed. In addition, when I was living in the hood and parking her on the street she tried to break up a gang fight and got shot in the ***. Even if I were to repaint it I think I’d keep the bullet hole as a reminder of what a selfless bus this is.

There are a few minor issues (no radio, pop top canvas is hand stitched and, while functional, could stand to be replaced, deck lid and apron dent mentioned above) but overall this bus is in great shape and ready to be camped in today.

Thanks for checking her out!

Asking $11,500

busexternalsmall.jpgbusscout1small.jpgbusclairesmall.jpgbusinterior1small.jpgbusslideopensmall.jpgIMG_0041small.jpg

VashonVW

it does come with 4 wheels plus a full size spare with rim, so yes, this would serve as an epic cross country road trip vehicle. You might have to take like a month off work to make it happen, but it's probably worth it. We drove it to the middle of Montana (over the continental divide) in about 20 hours, and you'll get a great view of the rockies from that far right lane...

open to international buyers and helping with shipping as well. If you live east of Utah and north of the Mason-Dixon it's gonna be near impossible to find one in this condition...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
seems to in the photos - but not "light blocking" type...

Looks like a nice bus.

VashonVW

yeah my wife sewed curtains for the side and back windows, nothing for the front. We've stealth camped in neighborhoods and we just bought a cheap shower curtain rod, hung a sheet over it, and put it up behind the front seats.

i think 95% of the time you see a bus parked with shades drawn someone is inside either:

A. sleeping or B. smoking something illegal (depending on the state).

vashonz

Great van. My Dad had one similar when we moved to Vashon in '89. If it were just a little faster girlfriend and I would be totally down.

VashonVW

SOLD! (for asking price)

It's a sad day and I'm already looking forward to my next opportunity to own one of these buses down the line. Or maybe a VW Thing next...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier