1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

colierar

Observer
Sorry, I thought it was RetroFit but it's actually RetroSound. Check out JC Whitney (link below)--that's where I got mine. They should have one for a 77, not positive though. I really like mine, although I wouldn't consider myself a sound system guru. It plays my tunes and does hands-free calling for me. Only downside: the directions aren't very good on installing and setting the options. For example, setting the clock is entirely too complicated. Setting the clock was more difficult than installing the dang thing. Other than that, no complaints. I zip-tied two small speakers up under my dash...they work great!

http://www.jcwhitney.com

Awesome thanks. What you have is basically what I am looking for. Nothing fancy, 2 speakers is all I need. BTW sweet truck, its hard not to like the old Heavy Chevys..

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting pics of your recent upgrades Snekvasil. The paint really does look good with all the buffing you have done and I am sure that the new distributor gives a much better spark. Glad to see you enjoying your truck and hauling firewood... Cheers, Chilli....:)

rdraider

Adventurer
Absolutely Awesome build! I love the fact that you are keeping it as original as you can while making a few modernizations.

Great job and keep us updated!

dieselfuel

Adventurer
heck yeah man, that's an awesome truck! i'm glad to see you're keeping it as stock as possible, especially given that its been in your family for so long. i'm looking forward to seeing more updates on this one.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Love the straight six chevy gassers never been fond of diesels, how about a few shots of the injection setup and some details of the install? that should be a pulling bastard!

snekvasil

Adventurer
Love the straight six chevy gassers never been fond of diesels, how about a few shots of the injection setup and some details of the install? that should be a pulling bastard!

that's a good idea...I'll put some pics together to show the EFI. it was a lot more time-intensive then i realized, but totally worth it!

bjowett

Adventurer
Do you have the stock exhaust manifold on there? It's a very large bottleneck on this engine.

Last edited:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Do you have the stock exhaust manifold on there? It's a very large bottleneck on this engine.

Here's the back-story with the exhaust: when I got it last summer (2013), the exhaust had a lot of small leaks toward the back end of the truck. The rest of the exhaust, from the middle of the truck to the front, was fine. So my buddy and I just shortened the exhaust in order to get rid of the leaks. We cut the back pea-shooter pipe off and capped it toward the middle of the truck. So yes, the stock exhaust manifold is still on there.

bjowett

Adventurer
Inline six cylinder engines like two exhaust manifolds, one for cylinders 1 - 3, and the second for 4 - 6. This eliminates the interference of the exhaust pulses, which really kill off the power. I can elaborate a bit more on that, if you would like. Look at any decent inline six and you find dual manifolds and a Y shaped down pipe, though dual exhaust can be run, too. I've built several high performance inline sixes, one being the 292 in my brother in laws 68 C10 long bed 2WD.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Inline six cylinder engines like two exhaust manifolds, one for cylinders 1 - 3, and the second for 4 - 6. This eliminates the interference of the exhaust pulses, which really kill off the power. I can elaborate a bit more on that, if you would like. Look at any decent inline six and you find dual manifolds and a Y shaped down pipe, though dual exhaust can be run, too. I've built several high performance inline sixes, one being the 292 in my brother in laws 68 C10 long bed 2WD.

I'm definitely interested in knowing more; what is the stock exhaust manifold like? I'm assuming it doesn't have 2 exhaust manifolds? Also, when you say the dual exhaust manifold would improve power, do you mean pulling power or speed? I don't really need more pulling power, but more speed would be nice...

bjowett

Adventurer
The dual manifold will help everywhere, including top end. Your top speed, as you probably know, is also limited by gearing.

The stock exhaust manifold feeds all six cylinders into one pipe. From both a gas flow and wave tuning view, it's not so good, but it serves the purpose GM intended.

This is one of the better leak free solutions (also the one my brother in law chose), and the price isn't too bad. http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/st...230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=412417

snekvasil

Adventurer
The dual manifold will help everywhere, including top end. Your top speed, as you probably know, is also limited by gearing.

The stock exhaust manifold feeds all six cylinders into one pipe. From both a gas flow and wave tuning view, it's not so good, but it serves the purpose GM intended.

This is one of the better leak free solutions (also the one my brother in law chose), and the price isn't too bad. http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/st...230-250-292-engines/p/1395980/category=412417

How difficult is it to install the new dual manifold? And do you have any numbers that I could wrap my mind around to tell me what the actual difference will be in converting to a dual manifold? I just would like to know the estimated statistical benefits in changing the current setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles