1966 Travelall Ambulance Adventure Machine

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I drooled over this rig for a couple years, it would pop up on craigslist every so often but I never had the time or money at the same time. I finally had both together and got a hold of the seller. A deal was struck and off I went on a road trip with my three kids and a dog, it was the beginning of August 2010. It was quite the adventure and something my kids still talk about. Once I got it home from Kansas City MO to Eureka CA I didn't do a whole lot to it, rebuilt the carb so I could move it around the yard but that was about it. In 2011 my wife and I decided to move out of CA so it got to do another road trip to northern ID. Up to this point it has racked up quite a few miles in my ownership but all on a trailer.:( Here are some pictures of it. Its almost my bedtime so will give some more updates tomorrow.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 160
  • sale stuff 051.jpg
    sale stuff 051.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 157
  • sale stuff 053.jpg
    sale stuff 053.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 157

Johnston

Observer
Pretty cool. Going to have to watch this build. I Have the same wheels. painted mine black. Don't see them that often.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
1966.....well I would be cool with another old iron rig on the maya rally even if you did bump my 70 burb as the oldest rig
I really like the Travelall's and an ambo conversion is even cooler

get working on it and let's see some trip reports!

Balzer

Adventurer
Although my own experiance with IH rigs wasnt pleasant, This is a very cool truck! What are some of your plans for it? Is there a cummins in its future?

I would very much like to see interior pics, does it have seating or is it all flat floor?

WAIT A DARN MINUTE! Do I see a portal axle?????????

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
"WAIT A DARN MINUTE! Do I see a portal axle?????????"

I had to clean my glasses, I am seeing the same double flange.
We need more information!

Toyotero

Explorer
I would very much like to see interior pics, does it have seating or is it all flat floor?

WAIT A DARN MINUTE! Do I see a portal axle?????????

Ditto on the interior photos... and on the portal axle :Wow1:

Last edited:

Soobarubin

Observer
Great looking rig! I'm sure when it's finished I'll see it driving around, we aren't far from each other at all!

-Jaren

belkar

I love seeing more Travelalls. I've never had a vehicle get as much attention as our '73. It drives great too.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Shortbus knows I've wanted his rig for a long time. I watched it when it was listed for sale in the mid west, but I could not get out there to get it. I can't wait to see the progress on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior