1966 Johnson Furnace M416 build - The Odyssey...or Homer for short.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Plans... I've got them. And then they change a bit. Lovely bride found a new house a 2 weeks ago so any spare do-re-me $$$$$ is going into little projects to get current house ready to sell.

Homer worked great this last weekend when pressed into U-Haul duty.

Mark, you are right on about the matching paint... but I think i am looking for something a bit more subtle. Like Toyota Sandstorm 4U0...

More to come. Axle over is a go... :Wow1:

IMG_1130.jpg

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Heading out on our first trip this week. Tour up the North Shore of Minnesota with the five of us. Will add photos as I can.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
It has come a long way in a short time. You are really going to like the extra room the trailer gives. New house needs more garage space for work and trailer storage!!!

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Homer gets new shoes... a tent... and the first run out.

Did I mention we bought a new house...

So Homer didn't get all the love he deserved, but I did get it pulled together enough for a nice trip to the North Shore.

New tires... 235/85-16 BFG AT on the factory wheels.

IMG_1234.jpg

Lid painted camo tan, load bars and tent mounted. Cheap set of lights for now... Didn't get the LED retro-fit Gama Goats put together. Bobby came through in fine fashion. He said I would have the tent for a trip over the Fourth and he was true to his word.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Homer and TED ready to head out!

IMG_1245.jpg

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
On the road with Homer

I will do a formal review and give it the attention it deserves... but here is two teaser shots.

10481552_10204579548317457_6648718151549490908_o.jpg

Deployed....

10496985_10204579598758718_7094894112118706116_o.jpg

4runnerteq

Explorer
Looks great. Can the lid still be opened with the tent opened? I like the thought of the set up but after just getting back from 4 nights camping Im in & out of the trailer multiple times a day. I keep everyhting inside it in totes & the coolers. As I use stuff & get finished I put it back in the trailer where it belongs.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Yes, the storage area can be accessed while the tent is opened. Like you, I try to keep an organized camp, and if it is in the trailer, I don't have to go looking anywhere else. In fact, it is easier now to get into the trailer with the tent opened up than when it is closed. With the trailer all set in road mode, it take significant effort to start the lid moving upward. More than 50# of effort. I am going to have to rethink the placement of the struts. They are too near horizontal when the lid is closed to give any assistance.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Copy of IMG_0011.jpg

Made it out while it was still a bit cool out and ran into some snow.

Hey folks... looking for ideas to mount an awning. I'd like to mount it to the tub, not the lid, and have some clearance for my fender mounted table.

What have folks done and what works and doesn't? I have seen some photos and they all look a bit ungainly.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Have you thought about a mount similar to the one AT makes? Look on AT's site under awning and see what you think. I keep wanting to get one of my more talented friends to make me a set.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Took a trip north and have decided I need
to rethink balance and weighting. Homer gets a little squirrelly at speed with the spare on the rear, the very tall sidewall tires and a short tongue. I’d like to move the spare off of the back, but then I would want to fashion another alternative to use the trasheroo, that’s too handy not to have around. I’ve been carrying water and fuel in the front of the trailer as ballast but when you use the fuel or water, the tongue weight goes away.

IMG_2282.jpeg
IMG_2247.jpeg
Perhaps I need to put the tire ahead of the axle but underneath the trailer.

For those that have kept their M416/M100 close to stock, what are you doing to weight the tongue. Guess there are always John Deere suitcase weights!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier