1966 FJ40 Stage 3 Frame off restoration, 4BT Cummins, H55F, ARB locked Sale or Trade

I posted this over on IH8Mud here, with a few interesting trades offered, but figured there may be some interest on ExpPortal as well. I would entertain trades for built overlanding rigs, partial or straight across. Toyota preferred but others considered. $39k asking price.

1966 Land Cruiser FJ40 Restomod

20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

My other ad became as much of a build thread as advertisement, so here’s a more streamlined version, and another price drop. Here’s the LINK to the old thread for those interested in a bit more back story.

$39k. Trades always considered, sometimes those work out well. Going up on Ebay and Craigslist as well shortly.
  • Full, Frame off Stage 3 Restoration by Proffitt’s Cruisers in 2007-8
  • Top Rated Custom Toyota Land Cruiser Company | Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruiser
  • 3700 miles since restoration
  • Full Aqualu tub. Later model windshield.
  • Dune Beige Paint, clearcoat
  • Grey Vortex liner inside tub, with overlying carpet
  • Garage stored and no winters.

• Cummins 4BT conversion
  • H55F 5 speed
  • Split case
  • Dual Battery set-up, 2 new batteries
  • Saginaw Power Steering conversion
  • Spring over axle conversion.
  • Front Power Disc brake conversion and updated axles (Birfs not 66 ball and claw)
  • ARB front locking differential
  • Rear Disc brake conversion with parking brake
  • Rear auto-locker

• ARB front bumper
  • Warn 8274 winch
  • Proffitt’s Cruisers Custom dual swingout rear bumper with spare and jerry can holder.
  • ARB Safari snorkel

• New 16x7 steel wheels (still have the 15x10 alloys if someone would rather not have skinnies, price drop if so)
  • New Maxxis Bighorn 255/85r16 tires (200 miles, October 2019 install)

• Full roll cage, 3 point seat belts
  • Rear 22 gallon fuel tank, underseat tank deleted
  • Bucket seats
  • Tuffy locking center console with stereo
  • Vintage air AC and Heat

Build as above. This is an older Proffitt’s restoration with many new parts that has not seen a lot of miles since its restoration. I spoke with Jeremiah Proffitt and he confirmed that this was a stage 3 build from his shop. I picked it up as part of a trade deal for a Jeep LJ that I had built. I am keeping the other parts vehicle and motor that came in the deal, and using them to build a patina restoration. This a great truck, but I don’t need 2 FJ40s in my life.

This build is well done, but it was finished over 10 years ago and though low mileage, in full disclosure there are a few issues that will need to be addressed.
  • It appears the hood was new, but had some incomplete prep when painted. There is some paint loss on the underside and a small spot on the top surface. It will need to be stripped and repainted
  • Small spot of rust at a door seam (driver) and the driver hard top panel. Pics below. Thus, the driver door and side panel will need a repaint. Door bottoms and edges are clean, there is no evidence of extensive rust and this was a reputable shop full restoration.
  • Fuel gauge does not read correctly. I have not tracked this as the sender vs gauge electrical
  • Volt gauge reads low. Resolves with some manipulation of the wiring on the dash. Alternator is putting out appropriate steady power.
  • The combination above makes me believe this is wiring related, and may be an easy fix. I have not sorted it at this time, but it would be best to assume that some electrical sorting is in order. There is nothing unsafe or inherently wrong with the wiring in this truck, but it is not as clean as I would have personally built. Some terminals directly on the batteries, wiring color changes on runs, etc.
  • It’s missing the trim/weatherstrip between the hatch and lower tailgate doors
Bottom line, this is a complete restoration that is old enough to need a few things done to get it back up to perfect. Paint work on the 3 panels would be straightforward. Or, this is a good time to change the color to whatever you like. And the truck is very presentable as it is, especially if the truck is to be wheeled. Electrical could use some tidying up, but is functional and safe as it stands.

A current Proffitt’s restoration will run you over $100k, and there is a long wait. A reputable shop diesel repower of an FJ40 will approach $30k just for the swap, no truck. This truck can be purchased, shipped and sorted for well less than half of the cost of entry for new, with just 3700 miles.

I am happy to answer any questions, take pictures of anything not shown below, video, etc. I will meet with your shipper to get it loaded and on its way. I do have a local shipper who may be interested depending on destination. Truck is in Bar Harbor, Maine. Clean Virginia Title in hand.

20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_174325_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_171929_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_171902-L.jpg

20191003_171849_HDR-L.jpg

20191003_171956_HDR-L.jpg

IMG_0873-L.jpg

IMG_0875-L.jpg

IMG_0876-L.jpg

Last edited:
Probably one of the best communicators I've ever spoke with. Navydivedoc and I almost had a deal for a pair of my old toys and his impeccable LWB epedition jeep. This guy certainly likes the best of the best, L.

nomad661

Not a sure thing but this post on Mud seems to sound like it may be gone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-214605.png
    Screenshot_20191119-214605.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 130
Sorry for the delay, I hadn't been here in a couple of days. Still in deposit pending payment status, still looks to be tracking, but until the wire lands anything is possible. Thanks for the interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles