1964 Land Rover Defender 110 NEW Hi-Cap Pickup

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Hey now... I see alot of those 50's and 60's defender 110's riding aournd here. :) Makes me want to pick one up and bring it back to the states with me since it seems so easy for eveyone else.

58 grand? There is a sucker born everyday, he may just sell it.

~James

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Run away. Far away. Most likely a newer Defender re-titled as a 1964 to get it into the States. If you buy and get pulled over by someone who really knows what they are doing, they will impound it and you will see your $58K thrown into a crusher. Or, get into an accident and get an insurance investigator who knows what they are doing, and you get sued. Pick your poison.

But other than that, yeah, it's nice.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
stevenmd said:
Run away. Far away. Most likely a newer Defender re-titled as a 1964 to get it into the States. If you buy and get pulled over by someone who really knows what they are doing, they will impound it and you will see your $58K thrown into a crusher. Or, get into an accident and get an insurance investigator who knows what they are doing, and you get sued. Pick your poison.

The odds of getting pulled over by someone with a clue are fairly insignifigant. The majority of officers out there haven't seen enough of these to know what they are seeing. I'd be more worried about the insurance guys in case of an accident. There are several newer rigs running around the US titled as older rigs that I know of.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Cops don't care if a vehicle is gray market or not. I have good friend who is a cop with a gray market Land Cruiser. There may be some legitimacy to the insurance statement but the biggest loser in a insurance claim will be you, not because you will get sued but because you will get what a 1964 Land Rover is worth and not the true value of a Defender.

There are always stories of trucks getting impounded and crushed but it's always told by a friend of a friend has a cousin who's brother had a Defender impounded and crushed.
If the truck is already in the country and registered it is "probably" not going to be an issue in the future. That being said, $58k is way to much to pay for a Defender.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
stevenmd said:

How's that different than a 68 Camaro or 66 Mustang entirely redone with new suspension, engine, dash, etc? Or even a 1934 Hot Rod?

Nothing wrong with that.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
2aroundtheworld said:
How's that different than a 68 Camaro or 66 Mustang entirely redone with new suspension, engine, dash, etc? Or even a 1934 Hot Rod?

Nothing wrong with that.
That is not what I am saying. I am saying to be careful, very careful. To redo a 1964 SII to "look" like a newer Defender takes a lot of work and some skillful modifications - heck, just read all the threads about it in the Land Rover section of this forum. It is not as simple as redoing a 68 Camaro or 66 Mustang.

I think kellymoe said it best:
kellymoe said:
the biggest loser in a insurance claim will be you... because you will get what a 1964 Land Rover is worth and not the true value of a Defender

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Exception would be if the person that buys it has a professional appraisal done and has a copy of that appraisal with their insurance company.
They may even have to have a rider on it ... like you would jewelry.

If there is a legitimate 1964 VIN and the thing was restored using newer defender parts, ... then there is nothing wrong or illegal about that. IF it was a 2000 defender that they have stuck a 1964 Series VIN on, ... then there is a "Danger Will Robinson" sticker all over it.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles