1959 Rover questions

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
So I was driving a local road yesterday and saw this old rover on the side of the road. Today I stopped to take a look at it. It has for sale signs on it. IT looks to be in pretty good shape. There are some small dents in the fenders but no rust.

Not knowing anything about old rovers I pose a few questions here before I call.

What is it worth? I tried to look it up can not find any info on used pricing that far back.

Is it worth it to get involved in a vehicle so old?

Are parts available?

Anything I should look for that has been a known issue with this vehicle?

All help is greatly appreciated.

justfred

Adventurer
What is it worth? I tried to look it up can not find any info on used pricing that far back.

About a million dollars. Perfect/Restored? $15K. Decent? $5K. Rotten? $500 or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

It's most likely a "Series II". Long wheelbase (109) or short wheelbase (88)? Hard top, soft top, cab, no top?

Send us pictures!

Is it worth it to get involved in a vehicle so old?

I love those old trucks, so I'd say yes, if the price is right. Depends a lot on you, and the truck!

Are parts available?

Yes. Atlantic British, British Pacific, others have full parts supplies for these trucks. Rovers had a LONG parts lifespan.

http://www.roverparts.com/ Atlantic British
http://www.britishpacific.com/ British Pacific
http://www.roversnorth.com/ Rovers North

Anything I should look for that has been a known issue with this vehicle?

Frame and bulkhead rust (replacement galvanized ones are available, but that's a BIG job!). Most parts of the body don't, the're aluminum alloy - but they're also harder to repair dents (if you care).

People complain about the electricals, but I really don't think they're as scary as rumored. One of mine had water sitting in the taillights for years, and they still worked.

Last edited:

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
alright so I called the guy up.

Now mind you this is one town over from me and I have never seen this car before.

Here is how the call went....

Me - Hi how are you I am calling about the land rover.
Him - Hi, what can I tell you about it
Me - well it is a '59 so I am sure you can tell me alot about it.
Him - yeah I could He laughs hehe
Me - {In my mind} man that laugh sounds familiar
Him - well I bought it from a guy in North Caroloina and brought it up
Me - B*****?
Him - yeah whos this?

Turns out I know this fella. Pretty well. He is in my firehouse. An avid collector of cars and an all around great guy.

The world is small indeed

Will let you know how this turns out.

If it does not work out for me I will let you know in case someone else is interested.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I missed out on a really, really nice 59 series II a guy in Nova Scotia was selling for a very reasonable price, still kicking myself over that one.

I'm not studied up enough to tell you what is unique about 59 but I have been researching old rovers in general and parts are available and they appear to be very simple machines, very straight forward and easy to access.

+1 we need to pictures!

JSBriggs

Adventurer
'59 trivia: They have knobs instead of levers on the vents, and the vent hinges are bolted on galv. steel rather than spot welded aluminum tabs. The tailgate hardware is thicker steel, and there are 3 bolts on each hinge instead of 2. The fender to bulkhead bolts are threaded directly into the bulkhead rather than into clip nuts. There are a few others but those are off the top of my head.

-Jeff

evilfij

Explorer
Dip switch on the floor, horn on a stalk, turn signal is a switch bolted to the dash, front apron is flat with a galvanized front end, head/waterpump etc slightly different on the motor, two drain holes not four on the side windows, different rubber bumpers on the tire carrier, etc. etc. etc.

Ron

Owner of 1959 SII "Noah" -- No "a" get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles