1953 M101A1 RESURRECTION

FandL

JK ADDICTION
I was able to get my pick out of six M101s that were manufactured in the 50s. The owner, a relative of a friend of a friend, had purchased eight of them in an auction and put them on their property where they sat for over fourty years. Where there was once an open field had now become mature woods, which posed little problem rolling through and over trees with the suspension on the on the trailer. I couldn't believe the tires still held air and the structural integrity of the frame and tub was still there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

FandL

JK ADDICTION
ASSESSING AFTER A QUICK CLEAN UP

After pressure washing the tub I got a better look at the job ahead. Impressively, for the most part, the majority of the issue is surfaced rust. But there are several areas that will require patching and areas of rust I'm unable to access that will require being sealed. The frame appears to be in great shape and the tires and axel will be usable for the time being. The side rails are rusted into the pockets on the side. Once out I will have to seal the rust inside the pockets in an attempt to stop the rust from progressing through the tub. The next move will be to take everything apart and see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 180

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice trailer to start.
Will you be removing the tub to access the frame?
It makes it much easier to fight the rust.
Post many pictures as you build.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Yes. I am literally going to dismantle the entire trailer and have frame and tub midia blasted. The plan is to rebuild the frame first. After reviewing you build Mark, I am adding a receiver hitch to the rear of the the frame, modifying the mounts for the tail lights, and adding bars to extend out from the frame to mount mus flaps. I also plan on purchasing a new axel, shocks, and most likely the leaf springs. This is the beginning of a long project.

And thanks again for your help Mark. I appreciate everything.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Thanks for the word "someday." After looking and comparing the M416 with the M101 I found the M101 better to suit my needs. The M416 Trailrs were just to small.

If anyone has any input, please send it to me. I've been reading and reviewing everything I can so to incorporate all the good ideas into my build.

All ideas, good or bad, welcome. Just let me know the outcome...

Thanks to all

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Thanks Mark. That is my plan. Also by cutting out all hardware for the braking system and the original heavy wheels and axel, I'm hoping for a significant reduction in wieght. My AEV Pintler Wheels are alumni and it's my understanding that the new axel is literally a fraction of the wieght of the original axel.

I'm also looking for replacement pins for the tailgate and It looks like you found replacements for your rig. Can you point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

FandL

JK ADDICTION
LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS

Today I picked up the taillights and marker lights. I went with LED Jeep CJ retro tail lights and LED side markers and rear identifier lights. Also continued lining up the different jobs to be done. I need a few more items before I can begin with the breakdown and build.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

BoarderMX

Observer
If you are going to run the Pintlers, plan on using 1-1/2" wheel spacers to accommodate the dust/grease caps not fitting through the hub of the Pintler. This may affect your axle length if you are trying to match the track of trailer and jeep.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Like the micro side markers. You just made me go and order a set. now what am I going to do with the rectangular ones I already bought?

FandL

JK ADDICTION
BoarderMX do you have any info or suggestions for the spacers? I'm using a Dexter axel and was looking at the Alloy USA spacers but I need to make sure the inner diameter is large enough to fit.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
REFLECTOR REQUIREMENTS

I received my replacement reflectors that are identical to the originals. A heads up for anyone looking for replacements, go to Kaiser Willys for the best price ( www.kaiserwillys.com ). The sellers on eBay are ridiculous.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 83

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior