1949 International/Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawling & Overland Build

GoldiesGarage

I had an O2 sensor go out and it threw everything into limp mode, that was annoying.
I’ve had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts because they rusted and broke causing a leak.
I recently changed the serpentine belt/ac belt/tensioner pulley/idler pulley because something was making noise. It’s quiet again.
I’ve had the truck from 90k to now 155k. It’s been reliable enough. Makes enough power. I’ve never seen the trans temp go over 185ish.

Towing my 30 foot travel trailer loaded up we were 18,000 pounds combined truck and trailer going over all the Colorado passes. We were slower than the turbo diesel/eco boost trucks but still faster than the semi trucks. I wasn’t pushing it as hard as I could have.
I wish it made its power a thousand rpm slower. I get weird about holding it much above 4,000rpm for an extended period of time, even though supposedly it doesn’t mind.
That’s with stock tuning, all the factory coolers, 4.10 gears and 33’s.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.
I'll put new O2s once its closer to driving
I bought some ARP header bolts for it. I took out 2 broken bolts from my brothers LQ4 and I don't want to do it again,
I plan on changing all the front pulleys. In December, my 06 D-Max had the lower idler pulley break in the middle of the desert while I was towing a car. I drove it 30 mins to get to the freeway and cell reception. 2 footing the brake pedal, over shooting stop signs and having manual steering is not fun. It was a beautiful morning once I got to the freeway.
20201128_064950.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.
I'll put new O2s once its closer to driving
I bought some ARP header bolts for it. I took out 2 broken bolts from my brothers LQ4 and I don't want to do it again,
I plan on changing all the front pulleys. In December, my 06 D-Max had the lower idler pulley break in the middle of the desert while I was towing a car. I drove it 30 mins to get to the freeway and cell reception. 2 footing the brake pedal, over shooting stop signs and having manual steering is not fun. It was a beautiful morning once I got to the freeway.
View attachment 641073
I should have mentioned I had to go to three parts stores to get the right O2 sensor. They tried giving me one with a male connector when I needed a female, or the opposite of that I don’t remember. Napa gave me the correct one finally.

ITTOG

I am at the point where I need to think/build an exhaust system. I know I have to put stacks on my truck because I want to match my brothers Dodge B2B. My neighbor gave me a set of glass packs. I also stole off my CorVuck project, the Magnaflow mufflers I was planning to use. So This truck will have four mufflers two under the cab and the two Glass packs stacks. If I want to, I can remove the sacks and just have behind the cab dumps. This whole system will be 3 inch. I bought a set of Flowtech Headers, 4 ft. straight pipe(for Pie Cuts), 2 - Flex couplers, 4 - 45* bends, and 2 - V-Band clamps, I cut a hole in the rear of my Cab and went to work.

View attachment 641007
View attachment 641019
View attachment 641020
View attachment 641008
View attachment 641013
View attachment 641009
View attachment 641012
View attachment 641010
Grinding all the welds took over a hour. And then I would have to do the other side...I really wish I knew how to TIG.
View attachment 641011
View attachment 641022
That is a lot of patience to weld and grind those bends. Good job.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GoldiesGarage

I should have mentioned I had to go to three parts stores to get the right O2 sensor. They tried giving me one with a male connector when I needed a female, or the opposite of that I don’t remember. Napa gave me the correct one finally.
That is a lot of patience to weld and grind those bends. Good job.

For the O2s on my new harness I went with the 2010+ Corvette. It should be the same as the Chevy trucks. So the harness guy says.
Weld time didn't take that long. I used a thicker piece of 3 inch tube so I could use a hotter setting and not chase holes. Grinding for a hour straight with no breaks wasn't very fun. My hand was hurting and acting weird but I wanted to see what it looked like finished.

You ever heard the saying "My welding skills made me into a really good grinder".
Nice build.
I would say my LACK of welding skills made me a better grinder. If I was a "master" at welding would I be able to dabble into every aspect of my truck? Personally, I don't think so. I guess it is a perk of being a master at none but good enough... I think

GoldiesGarage

Due to the weight of the truck - V8, full skid plates and whatever else is going on this truck. I've been thinking I should be looking into some more lift. I don't want more lift but having a very short suspension up travel/riding bump on stops sounds terrible. My goal is biggest possible tires with the lowest lift. That being said Ish (my brother) was surfing through good ol' Craigslist and found a set of 6 inch Tereflex springs with limiting straps and spring isolators for $300. Seemed like a great deal since a pair of springs are $200. I don't think I can install them yet since it will make taking the motor out harder. Just thought I let you know I'm still trying to figure things out..
20210129_065311.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94