1949 International/Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawling & Overland Build

ITTOG

One of my favorite builds on this site. It’s old school cool and home built. You don’t see much of that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This truck and his brother's truck are awesome. I like seeing the old school too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ITTOG

It's a shame you weren't able to get video of him going over that berm. I am sure that would have been good.

How much left do you have on your truck? Looks like you had plenty of clearance on some of those larger rocks, whereas the Jeep was pretty close to dragon. Or would have dragged if he tried to go over them.

GoldiesGarage

It's a shame you weren't able to get video of him going over that berm. I am sure that would have been good.

How much left do you have on your truck? Looks like you had plenty of clearance on some of those larger rocks, whereas the Jeep was pretty close to dragon. Or would have dragged if he tried to go over them.
Yeah, I missed it, but its all good. We both just enjoy off-roading. But for being a factory Wrangler, it does pretty good. If he starts building it the way he wants it, the factory warranty will be voided. It is also his daily driver so can't really have it down for heavy mods.

Mechanics wise I'm pretty much done. I do need a new front axle though. The front passenger side has some camber for some reason, but I'll run it till it dies or a large sum of money finds my bank account. Front axles are expensive and I want to focus on the camping side now.

Camping goals...
Build a Bed Shell I have two aluminum camper shells I need to cut and make it fit the bed.
Slide out kitchen (stove, Refer, and random storage space.
Add a pop top to the shell Like RTT or just lifting the roof up.
Get a 12v system something like RedArc

Protection
I still need to the the truck apart and spray on something (Line-X or Lizard Skin or something similar)
Stain clear the body
Maybe re paint the frame

I also want to get air conditioning for the cab, I think it will cost about 3k☹

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

Build Summary.
As the build sits right now I have invested just over $34,000 and an unknown amount of hours into this build. I have a spreadsheet with 99% of everything I purchased with links.
If you are curious, Here is the link for the **Spreadsheet**.
I use Open Office software to create the spreadsheet.

Before
20190823_092054 50.jpg
After
20211230_145325 50.jpg
Body
1949 International Harvester KB-2
Chassis
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Drivetrain
GM - L96(6.0L or 364ci) (2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4)
GM - 6L90 Transmission (2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4)
Advance Adapters - Atlas Transfer Case 3.8:1
Adams Driveshafts - Driveshafts
SpearTech - Wiring harness
Cooling System
Summit Racing - Radiator
2006ish Saturn Vue V6 Radiator Fans
Front Axle
TeraFlex - Tera 44
5.13 Gears Vendor- Unknown
RCV Axle Shafts
PSC - Hydro Assist Ram
Rear Axle
TeraFlex - CRD 60
5.13 Gears Vendor- Unknown
Suspension
TeraFlex - Long Arms Front & Rear
MetalCloak - 5.5 inch Front Coils
TeraFlex - 4 inch Rear Coils
Fox Shocks - Front - Valved for a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4
Fox Shocks - Rear - TeraFlex Pre-Runner Spec
Wheels & Tires
AEV - Borah With Beadlock Ring
37 inch BFGoodrich KM3
Off-Road Mods
MetalCloak - Skid Plates
Viair - Dual 485C Gen. 2 Air Compressors
Custom Front Bumper
Apex - 12k Winch
Expedition One - Rubi Skid Plate
Evo MFG - Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect
Rough Country - Muffler Skid plate
Interior
2006ish Volkswagen Golf Front Seats
1967 Corvette Walnut steering Wheel
Summit Racing - Steering Column
Auto Meter - Old Tyme Gauges with GPS Speedometer
Bed
BedSlide - 1000lb side
US Cargo - L tracks
Home Depot - Pine Wood
Custom Tailgate

If you are ever in the area and want to go off-roading let me know (Instagram - @Goldies_Garage). If I don't have plans, I'm always down to meet new people and go on adventures.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Are you happy with the money you spent or would you have preferred to save it and bought something already built or new?

GoldiesGarage

Are you happy with the money you spent or would you have preferred to save it and bought something already built or new?

I am extremely happy with the money I spent. I can't spend $34k and get a truck like this. This truck is a monster and super capable. This is exactly what I was envisioning over 3 years ago. It ticks all the right boxes for me. Looks good, stands out, different, capable, most people love it and I was able to give this truck another chance to put in some work. Owning & building this truck has opened doors for me which I never thought would be possible.

If I saved and bought something capable I would be like everyone else. ** No disrespect intended** with a cookie cutter build. I'm semi-young with very few responsibilities and I would rather have a smile on my face than money in my bank account. Only time will tell if future me will agree.

if I had to do it again... I would in a heartbeat. No Ragrets?

GoldiesGarage

I took the opportunity to volunteer at the 2022 Mint 400 desert clean up. They are supported by Republic Services and they bring out a lot of garbage trucks as well as some rolloffs. Most of the trash comes from people shooting in the desert and the dumpers. Many hands make light work. The 1st truck load was from a dumper and the 2nd was walking around and picking up trash in almost every bush. It was super windy and that didn't help things. But all together we got a lot of trash out of the desert.

International truck doing truck things.
20220305_103755.jpg
20220305_125603.jpg
20220305_123909.jpg

GoldiesGarage

My Truck got to play pit truck at the MINT400 for Team 7388. All it had was fuel and random we took out of the Volvo last minute. Halls Racing helped us with pit support. They fill up our Volvo during the Race. It took us 10 hours to complete the course and we came in 2nd place in our class. I have a more in depth write up of the Mint400/Volvo adventure on my *Travel Log*.
20220311_065625.jpg
20220311_092710.jpg
Resized_20220311_220725(1).jpeg
20220313_102943.jpg

Last edited:

GoldiesGarage

With the Volvo safe and sound back in Canada, It was time for me to do some maintenance on the International, tire rotation and added some more grease to the RCV axle shafts and axle tube seals. I noticed the wheels looked a little off. So I then took it to Firestone, and bought a lifetime alignment ($215). With the wheels pointing in the same direction again, life was good again.

20220322_102246.jpg
20220322_102413.jpg

GoldiesGarage

I got tired of having a half finished bed floor. So I decided to do something about it. This will be version 2 and version 2 will have a L-track border. I figured it would look nice and make it more functional. I went to Cali for my brother's birthday and in the down time I took the floor out and apart. LOTS of bolts. Ish and my neighbor helped me. Underneath the wooden planks a lot of debris was found. It was a good thing I decided to finish it. With all that cleaned up I had to cut all the wooden planks shorter and also shorten the main L-tracks. Drill out over 120 new holes and put all the hardware back. I like the way it came out and it is one less thing for me to do. The hardest thing of this was getting the floor back in the truck. For some reason the floor wouldn't fit back in the rail. Some dimension change just enough to make it a pain. This part alone took about 45 minutes and this floor weighs a lot.
Before
20220326_162429.jpg
Found under the wooden slates.
20220326_164717.jpg
After
20220327_102045.jpg
I'm contemplating replacing the edge pieces with a solid one piece for aesthetics but these L-tracks are expensive so I'm in no rush.

I think the floor looks great and adding the l track front and back really made it look “finished” good job on that!

ITTOG

I think the floor looks great and adding the l track front and back really made it look “finished” good job on that!

I agree adding the ends makes it look better.

Why did you have to drill so many new holes? What was wrong with the old holes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94