1949 International/Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawling & Overland Build

GoldiesGarage

Been thinking for awhile on where I want the spare tire to go. I know I don't want it in the bed of the truck anymore. With limited options I decided to mount it on the tailgate. With a little metal bending I was able to turn 2.5 inch square tubing, some 1/4 think flat stock and the old burnt hub into a tailgate mount spare tire carrier ended up becoming reality. I bolted the mount through the tail gate. To add a second form of safety, I welded some angle iron and use 8 grade bolts from the side.
20220405_124248.jpg
20220406_132717.jpg
20220405_163246.jpg

GoldiesGarage

Went camping at Goffs California because of an Olaf Event. The main reason for this event was to raise money for Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association (@TheMojaveRoad on Instagram) they manage the property and monitor most the Mojave Desert.

Shaine joined me on this trip we had a blast. So much cool history to check out. Mining equipment, functioning rock crushers, blacksmithing hands on demos, vintage vehicles and a museum with WWII artifacts and other vintage items.

Camping wise we tried some new gear we thought could make life a little easier. We also tried our hand at cooking a brisket in a dutch oven on a propane fire pit. it did not turn out well. The brisket was burnt and the fat didn't melt like we thought it would, lesson learned. We tried to eat as much as we could, It wasn't really edible.

The Event offered two Trail Runs on Saturday. Run 1 was to Fort Piute and Run 2 was a section of the Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail. I chose the EMHT. 70ish miles, chill-worry-free mile just driving through some scenic desert.
1st trail run ever

Saturday evening, Tacos and a raffle was held in the main area, Superwinch donated a lot of stuff. Sadly, I did not win anything but the taco were good and better than our brisket from the night before.

I was given this patch from the gentlemen who scouted out the Mojave Heritage Trail. First patch for this truck, Thank you.

GoldiesGarage

Went on a little trip to volunteer at Overland Expo West. I left my house Tuesday morning about 3:30 in the morning to make it to flagstaff around 7:30. I choose to volunteer because you can trade 12 hours of work for a camping pass in the volunteer camping section. In the 4.5 days I was there, I donated about 30 hours of my time. I was moving rocks, marking out vendor booths, finding camp spots for people and was the VIP/Overland Experience Camp host.
20220517_053756 50.jpg
20220518_181716 50.jpg

One of the biggest reasons I come to these events is for networking. There are so many amazing people you can meet, and everyone has a different rig and story. Plus, you get to see touch the products in person. So many new ideas in overland Expo. If you didn’t know, most companies have discounted their products around 10-15%. Other companies offer different benefits for ordering there as well.
Saturday morning my buddies came to check out the Expo. So, we walked around. It’s crazy how much Australia stuff has come to the American market. Saturday is the busiest day and almost every vendor has a line. After everyone was done checking the Expo, I packed up and headed for Sedona. The 89A is a must drive if you never have.
20220521_140639 50.jpg
20220521_140729 50.jpg
20220522_131722 50.jpg
For Sedona I planned to hit Schnebly Hill. (It is a Jeep Badge of Honor Trail) This overlook has fantastic views of Sedona and the trail to get there is super easy. Just watch your tire placement and you can make it up no problem. It took us about 1 ½ hours to make it to the top. You can camp all along the top which provides all the fantastic views or go further into the forest.
20220521_154147 50.jpg
20220521_194328 50.jpg
20220522_055115 50.jpg
For the Sunday I planned to hit Broken Arrow Trail. The others decided they didn’t want to drive back down Schnebly hill, so I went down by myself. I’ve been on Broken Arrow twice, but I was always a passenger, well not today. I finally have a vehicle that can tackle the trail. Even though the trail isn’t hard, it is just fun idling around all the big rocks in the driver seat.
20220522_105855 50.jpg
20220522_112546 50.jpg
Drove home with no problems but I did notice my driver side front axle seal is now leaking.

ITTOG

Great pics of the truck. Do you have any plans for a custom front bumper? I feel the flat bumper just isn't enough (aesthetically and functionally) for this truck. Personal opinion of course so tell me to get lost if you disagree. ;)

GoldiesGarage

Great pics of the truck. Do you have any plans for a custom front bumper? I feel the flat bumper just isn't enough (aesthetically and functionally) for this truck. Personal opinion of course so tell me to get lost if you disagree. ;)
Your opinion is safe here. No plans for a newer custom front bumper. In reality it isn't flat, It just might look like that in pictures. Remember I used a 70's or 80's Ice Cream Truck factory bumpers and cut it on the X and Y axis. Also, if you scroll back to when I had it next to my brother's 1950 Dodge front bumper (1960's Ford COE bumper) they are very similar and all we did was section it. From a functionality stand point it does everything I want- Covers the winch, hasn't ripped off the frame when winching my buddies and I think has a vintage look.

Personally I think that bumper is just about right for your truck. No extra bling. I used to have a’42 ton and a half international, same body style. I like the vintage look.
Mike
Thanks Mike,

Should I paint it something besides Primer Gray??

I think if you were able to patina it similarly to the truck would look awesome! Difficult but super cool, my .02¢ even though no one asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldiesGarage

I think if you were able to patina it similarly to the truck would look awesome! Difficult but super cool, my .02¢ even though no one asked
I was thinking of trying that. I would need to buy some paint and try to figure out all that fun stuff or... I can paint it silver to match the stacks...??

GoldiesGarage

I did some more damage to my truck relating to the rear fenders. I was on the trail from Pioneer Town to Big Bear. I was trying to catch up to my friend which was further up on the trail. I was driving way faster then I would normally drive this trail. I took a right instead of a left and it turned rough, compared to the normal road. Once I was able to turn around and back on the correct road, I kept hearing a rubbing noise and I got out to check it. To my amazement, the driver fender rolled. I didn’t have any crazy rubbing problems before. So, I don’t know what happened. On the passenger side the fender split and started cutting deep into the tire like in some places over an inch deep. At this point we are running behind for our appointment in Big Bear, Spartan Race Beast (12-mile race of death). I just continued listening to all the rubbing. I couldn’t fix the fender until I got back to Las Vegas. How I fixed it was I grabbed my c-clamp and bent the metal back into place as best as I could. I then cut an inch of the fender off. Not a super fan of the results but it is what it is. I might "massage" the fender some more...maybe.

20220514_092825 50.jpg
20220514_092829 50.jpg
20220513_172909 50.jpg
20220516_123709 50.jpg
20220516_065709.jpg

GoldiesGarage

It's has been some time...

I Just came off a trip from Utah Zion area. It was a weekend trip. My buddy Shaine was with me as well as a 1st time camper Chinelle. We were in the area, so we stopped by Sand Hollow State Park. Once you go through the tunnel Nasty Half (Rated 9) greets you. You have three choices left, right, and straight. I was thinking of finding an easier trail, but you would have to drive a bit and I didn't feel like driving. I know Shaine loves to do the harder technical stuff, so we straight to attempt Nasty Half. It's very mild starting off but the ledges get taller and taller. Shaine is on 33-inch tires with a mixed 2.5 inch. I am rolling on 37 at 10psi with a 6 inch lift up front and a 4 in the back. Going through the trail was a blast one obstacle after the other. Chinelle drove my truck 90% of the time. Its fun being outside of the truck watching what it can do. But we met and obstacle we couldn't get over it was a wall taller than my truck. I could only get my tire up 4 feet before sliding down. We turned around and found a way out. There was a nice ledge on the exit and knowing I don’t have a rear bumper, yet I didn’t go straight down. I turned the wheels to hopefully avoid dragging my spare tire tailgate thing. Well, that was the wrong choice. As I went down some how my passenger rear fender caught the ledge and got damaged. Once we navigated our way off the trail we went to the lake and made lunch. All and all Sand Hollow is always fun and I can’t wait to comeback in October for Trail Hero. Off to the next spot...Torquerville

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah you definitely need to update this thread more!! This is one one of my favorite ones on EP. My dad is a big IH guy and I was literally just telling him about your build the other day.

Come on, entertain us with a new build or something cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior