1946 Spartan Polished Aluminum Trailer converted to LORENZindustries Ram Truck Camper

Lorenz

After 2 Lance hard side campers, 1 heavy 2800#ish and 1 lighter 2100#ish, and an Outfitter pop up (2000#ish), I have come to the conclusion that light and minimal is something I like. A pop up rear end and "patio" is in the cards because of the small floor footprint of the rig. She'll be getting a pass through like the Earthroamer for added liveable area.

The Spartan Aluminum shell was built aircraft light after WWII in Getty's then defunct airplane factory, and has the same aluminum over rib and spar design that most commercial aircraft use today. I fell in love with the radius'd rear end and wanted to make a camper out of her for my 3500 Dodge Cab and Chassis. The 3 main goals are to leave it in the truck full time and get 20MPG highway, be able to carry my T4 Kawasaki Race car inside via the "toy hauler" pop open rear end, and to ditch the trailer for the month long vacations the wife and I take in the summers.

She's a gutted and polished trailer and shell as she sits right now. What's your opinion of what end I should use for the truck camper? Front end which will be easier to fabricate the opening cargo door, or the radius'd rear end? I've changed my own mind 3x over thus far. And as of late have reservations about taking on a project this big without help from a big RV manufacture that knows plumbing and electrical like the back of their hand.

What's the consensus?

1 or 2

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I hate 2B. But 1B puts the door on the wrong side. But I'd live with that to get the better looks. The radius is no problem for the clamshell - just cut it between the door and rear side window. That would also allow nice and easy access from the side for tying down.

Lorenz

Either of them will have doors with portal hole windows on both sides of the truck camper. I love the vintage round window look and the trailer has 2 doors. I'd fab them into opposite sides of the camper.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
2B respects the unique to Spartan design features. Still, the whole project pains me, as it'll be one less Spartan trailer on the road and there's never going to be any more to replace it. I think that's sad.

But I understand what you're trying to do and what I'd have suggested as an alternative, an Avion truck camper, wouldn't do all you're looking for.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Wow - that will be a project. It looks like you'll be taking a fair amount out of the middle of to do either of your drawings.

I have a spartan as well (1957 Royal Manor) and you'll be doing a lot of work to keep the construction as clean as they did on the original - the construction was true aircraft level with the formed metal ribs and rivets.

I'd think the first one looks best - I would try to just cut off what not needed and use the rear section which would be much more aerodynamic. Then fabricate a new front section to fit up to the truck.

Not sure what the width of these trailers were in 1947 - mine is 8 feet but I think yours is more like 7 feet?

Seems like it will be pretty empty on the inside if your going to put a vehicle in there.... so not much plumbing and electrical needed.

here is some inspiration:

3adf5b5e8fddb6ec9ce83f97575696fa.jpg

Lorenz

I can make 2 truck campers out of the original Spartan Manor. The front cab over nose is all that needs to be fabricated for both. I don't like the renderings of the front nose piece so far. The reality is that I only need enough room over the cab to lay down in. The width of the truck roof is sufficient.

I don't want to go the width of the camper over the cab of the truck. I've learned that the MPG drops considerably because of the big noses' of the Lance Campers I've had in the past. Even the Outfitter Popup cab over nose had a pretty drastic effect on MPG. 16mpg with the Outfitter and 12.5mpg with both Lances'. I want this camper to be aerodynamic and will sacrifice sleeping room to get 20mpg if I can. The truck will get 21-22mpg on the freeway at 60-65mph with a 1000# pallet of leaf springs on the flat bed. Aerodynamics play the biggest role in good MPG. She doesn't flinch with a 1000# on her back.

IMG_1042-1.JPG

IMG_1043-1.JPG

Last edited:

PGGRS

Observer
I agree with mallthus. what you're trying is cool, but hacking up that intact shell is a crime!

Lorenz

I get that response from 1 out of 10 people, I kind of understand the response. "Hacking her up" is so short sided it's borderline funny at this point in the game. She would have died a horrible death in the back woods if I hadn't snatched her up and sunk some money into her. I saved her to be rebuilt better than new, and to see the light of every day for the next half century.

Here's a '73 Baja Bug that I've restored and brought back to better than new over the last 3 years. She's far from hacked up or a lost relic.

http://lorenzmotorsports.com/buildup/

PAGE-BUG-BUILD6.jpg

cocco78

Adventurer
No way i'd cut that up! I've been looking for a vintage trailer for ever, most i find are to far gone.

Also, both of those options just look terrible imho. they truck and trailer lines just don't go well together. Neat idea though.

Lorenz

No way i'd cut that up! I've been looking for a vintage trailer for ever, most i find are to far gone.

Also, both of those options just look terrible imho. they truck and trailer lines just don't go well together. Neat idea though.

I have 2 Spartans, how many would you like to buy?

Lorenz

Does anybody have real world experience with this Snow Peak Iron Grill Table System. I love the idea of being able to stow it away or use it outside. Setting it up inside to fold up into a wall would be killer. Kind of like truck tailgate fold up and out of the way flat against a wall.

This would cure some propane piping and plumbing inside the camper by having the stand alone stove insert. I'm not seeing a sink insert?

http://snowpeak.com/collections/all/products/igt-26-long-set?variant=671172773

ck-146-l3.jpg

ck-150-f1.jpg

Last edited:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I like the first one best, but goota tell you I think it would look best on an old rest mod kinda truck, ( like an early 70s ford with a 7.3 powerstroke ) but anyways I love the idea, as for the people who say don't do it, it takes a real man to cut up a classic, anyone can restore something !

Lorenz

I make a living off of the Dodge Ram and Performance Suspensions. I fell in love with the platform and the Cummins and know them inside and out. The Cab And Chassis 3500 has the payload, suspension, and a proven power train to do what I need to do when it come to pulling my race team and heavy trailer around. There isn't a better light duty platform out there than the Dodge/Cummins/G56 Trans. A full size domestic truck is a true "light duty" truck in he big scheme of things. A medium duty 4x4 f650 could be optioned out with the same ISB Cummins motor, but those things ride like a tank and it's just too much truck.

I have considered stepping the build up to a Cabover Argosy Semi, but the expense would be quadruple and the MPG would barely break double digits, AND it would be a dedicated highway beast. Small and simple is much better in my opinion for now.

And just to be clear, I have an amazing aluminum guy named Curt at CRB alumafab in San Diego. I'm not the man behind the shears.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke