1930's "Overlanding" or "RVing" or whatever around Africa...check out the pics

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie

The story is cool but the pics are a blast to look at. And to imagine life back then both for the traveler and those who had never seen anything like this couple.

I wish there were more interior pics of the Chevy but interesting how little "expedition" or "overland" gear is visible, no winch, no rope around the bumper, traction boards.

I do like the high opening windows for ventilation.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart

The story is cool but the pics are a blast to look at. And to imagine life back then both for the traveler and those who had never seen anything like this couple.

I wish there were more interior pics of the Chevy but interesting how little "expedition" or "overland" gear is visible, no winch, no rope around the bumper, traction boards.

The pop up adds in this story we’re crazy. I’ve gave up after looking at a few photos. But I agree this would have been a pretty amazing trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal

Indeed very cool!

About your comment of expedition gear lacking, keep in mind that in the 30s vast majority of Africa was still under colonial rule and the countries were travel destinations for rich Europeans/Americans (and so roads would have been maintained). On top of that, these folks probably could afford to hire a bunch of locals to get them out of any jam.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Indeed very cool!

About your comment of expedition gear lacking, keep in mind that in the 30s vast majority of Africa was still under colonial rule and the countries were travel destinations for rich Europeans/Americans (and so roads would have been maintained). On top of that, these folks probably could afford to hire a bunch of locals to get them out of any jam.
So true, especially about hiring locals, that is the best "recovery" gear you could get...."many hands make light work" as the saying goes

billiebob

Fabulous article, when men were men and adventure was adventure.

And to think now we think we need lifts and 33s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles