18's on range rover sport

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Mine and many other LR3 on trips are over 8000 lbs. XL maxed out at 50psi is morecrosk than I’m willing to try for no good reason.

I run 52-54 psi on the highway.

XL idea will not be doing so well when at 22 psi and heat starts to build up.

Add to that the E sidewall and overall carcass....again, why use an XL at its margins vs an E well within the margins.

Ok so you have 1612lbs payload remaining. Keep filling up your rig Jim! :p;)
Are you seeing more center-of-tire treadwear at those pressures? Man you must feel every pebble! As they say, YMMV(truly), but I've never run that high of pressures in my rigs.
How fast are you going at 22psi? ;)

FWIW, both myself and a friend have run these 255/55R19 XL 111Q, on our CayenneTurbo's, loaded up, aired down below 20psi, lots of jagged rocks, no issues. 38/42psi on the street.

It is sad the tire mfr's haven't done more with the 19" offroad market!

BikePilot

I think 18s are the way to go. The main options are compomotive which should be a direct bolt on, lr3 wheels + spacers, or BMW style 99 wheels (maybe, they clear on my LR4 with a bit of caliper fin grinding).

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_082258.jpg
    IMG_20181113_082258.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
I won't get into the highway speed convo with PSI because I do not traditionally run that high, however, I have in the past!

When airing down, the sidewall is making contact and there is friction working load just from the flex of the wheel as it makes one full revolution, regardless of contact with the surface. I traditionally run 22 PSI in the rear and many times down to 18 PSI in the front. I'm running a 17" KM2 E-Load and if you feel the heat on those tires after/during operation at low PSI, they are hot! These are at slow trail speeds and crawl speeds (sometimes 20mph in the sand dunes) but generally 15-20mph.

All of these factors are taken into play on weight, working load, friction, PSI, etc. I am well within the operational limit at "ALL" configurations of my LR3 with these tires and never approach the max unless I overloaded my vehicle.

Hope this helps!(y):unsure:

Howski

I think 18s are the way to go. The main options are compomotive which should be a direct bolt on, lr3 wheels + spacers, or BMW style 99 wheels (maybe, they clear on my LR4 with a bit of caliper fin grinding).
Can you utilize LR TPMS sensors with the BMW wheels?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ok so you have 1612lbs payload remaining. Keep filling up your rig Jim! :p;)
Are you seeing more center-of-tire treadwear at those pressures? Man you must feel every pebble! As they say, YMMV(truly), but I've never run that high of pressures in my rigs.
How fast are you going at 22psi? ;)

FWIW, both myself and a friend have run these 255/55R19 XL 111Q, on our CayenneTurbo's, loaded up, aired down below 20psi, lots of jagged rocks, no issues. 38/42psi on the street.

It is sad the tire mfr's haven't done more with the 19" offroad market!

The weight of a Cayenne is nothing like the lr3, even in stock form. 1600 lbs remaining? LOL that’s when onnperfectly level ground. 2409 load index. You’re following a bad idea for sake of argument I think. I’ve actually seen 8220 on a scale before and that was without a passenger and her gear. 8400/4 tires is 2100 each corner... on flat ground and assuming equal lbs front to rear... bad bad idea bud.

Cross axle with two tires dancing and you have 4000 lbs at the two doing the work.

Let’s say I keep the vehicle trim and I’m at 7400 lbs, then it’s barely within E load spec.

Why the heck would anyone choose a non E load is beyond comprehension.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Ideal highway psi is purely relative to vehicle weight. 42 would be a terrible idea under 7000 lbs. 5200 lbs sure, but even a stock Audi has 44 in the door sticker. Psi is not that linear across all combinations of vehicle and tire/wheel sizes. What did you use on your G or van? Surely it wasn’t XL tires.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Who runs at over 50psi on the highway anyways??
Almost everyone who's vehicle is always over 7000 lbs.

This is not about if the XL will roll fine or not. This is about why the hell use something inferior when you can simply use a much better choice? Are there not enough variables out of our control to waste time introducing an inferior product to the equation?

Take 20 psi on steep side angle slope and toss in a few rocks. How's that mall crawler XL tire sidewall going to handle something like a 70/30 loading? For 7500 lbs, 70% to one side puts 2625 onto each tire. Is that when you want to wonder how much better the 10 ply and it's stronger sidewall might be holding up? I'd rather not be bothered with that.

As for highway psi and treadwear, I did this on my last set of bfg at ko1 and they wore almost perfectly across aside from the inner edges getting more worn due to the rear camber. 75,000 is my average mileage on bfg at ko before selling them with 5-6mm depth.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The weight of a Cayenne is nothing like the lr3, even in stock form. 1600 lbs remaining? LOL that’s when onnperfectly level ground. 2409 load index. You’re following a bad idea for sake of argument I think. I’ve actually seen 8220 on a scale before and that was without a passenger and her gear. 8400/4 tires is 2100 each corner... on flat ground and assuming equal lbs front to rear... bad bad idea bud.

Cross axle with two tires dancing and you have 4000 lbs at the two doing the work.

Let’s say I keep the vehicle trim and I’m at 7400 lbs, then it’s barely within E load spec.

Why the heck would anyone choose a non E load is beyond comprehension.

I like pestering you Jim. :p:cool:

You're correct;
'08 LR3 curb is 5796, GVWR is 7121.
'12 Cayenne curb is 4784, GVWR is 6349 (look at that Cayenne payload, woot!).

4ton LR3, 1300lbs over GVWR, and downsized front brakes...bad bad idea bud. ;):p

Ok, so the 255/55/R19 Duratrac is maybe not the best idea for an LR3/4, RRS, or FFRR. Good thing there are some 18" wheel options, and all the 18" tire options I've spied (275/65/18, 265/70/18, or 275/70/18) are all E-load, 123-125/120Q-122Q! I'll probably go with the 275/70/18 Duratrac's or K02's.

G was 285/75/16 K0's, van was 35x12.5-17 Toyo MT's; both E's.

Very impressive mileage on the K01's!! For the record, in my ~7800lb expedition-weight G, I don't remember running that high of hwy pressure. Somewhere in the 40's IIRC.

PS--the topic I introduced was the 19" Duratrac. Which could be argued still ok for lighter duty use, IF the rig isn't heavily loaded, or overloaded.

Jwestpro

Explorer
“Downsized” brakes? LOL wrong. They may be smaller rotor size by few mm but they were an upgrade in design and pads. The braking is equal if not better now. Same bite, same feel, etc. Tire traction on pavement at speed is a much bigger limiting factor here.

Don’t be tryin to mess w newbies heads! ;) ?

Regarding tires on Cayennes, I had a heavier version, the V10 tdi and of course ran E load BFG at ko 265/65-18 ;) back then though there were fewer choices. Not much at all in 19 size.

Jwestpro

Explorer
As for pestering, bring it on ;) if we all learn something new it’s worth it.

I’d like to remind you of the size brakes a G55 has and they fit in 18’s just fine ;)

Come to think of it, I still have the aftermarket 18” Porsche replicas, turbo I think is the wheel design model. Looked pretty sweet. Porsche apparently never made an 18” cayenne version so that’s kinda funny too.

If I could easily put a 16” on I would .

Anyway, someone above mentioned the compo fitting over certain year rrs sc brakes ?

Also, I had the duratrac in E 275/65-18 for a few months and thought they wallowed a bit compared to the same size BFG at ko which was an interesting thing. The sidewall also seemed to squish out more easily, as if it was way less stiff. That was several years ago though.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
“Downsized” brakes? LOL wrong. They may be smaller rotor size by few mm but they were an upgrade in design and pads. The braking is equal if not better now. Same bite, same feel, etc. Tire traction on pavement at speed is a much bigger limiting factor here.

Don’t be tryin to mess w newbies heads! ;) ?

Regarding tires on Cayennes, I had a heavier version, the V10 tdi and of course ran E load BFG at ko 265/65-18 ;) back then though there were fewer choices. Not much at all in 19 size.

All for learning something new!
Ok, I'll give the EBC's some credit since you seem to have liked them.
V10 Treg was a heavy beast!
Actually I was surprised the G500 brakes performed so well, AND allowed 16" Hutchinson's! :)

I've read on other threads that the 18x8 et44 Compomotive PD1881 will fit over the RRS SC 6pot/14.2" Brembo's by removing the phonic damper(ie sound damper). I have an inquiry into Comp now to comfirm;

On the PD1881, these can fit over the RRS Supercharged 6piston Brembo's with 14.2" front rotors? Or do they only fit on the smaller HSE Lux's 4piston Brembo's and 13.3" front rotors?
https://www.comp.co.uk/news/index.asp?page=pd1880-8x18-available-for-limited-period-35
"If 5 litre then no chance of any 18” rim fitting."

Good to know on your Duratrac experience, thanks! BFG is 2lbs heavier, so perhaps that's some "carcass meat" there?
-275/70/18(33.2") sidewall is 7.6".
55lbs, E load, 125/122Q; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=77QR8WDT&tab=Sizes
57lbs, E load, 125/122R; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&sidewall=Raised White Letters&partnum=77R8KO2RWLV2&tab=Sizes
Lots of good press about both tires. Duratrac does have the snowflake branding going for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior