18's on range rover sport

Evomike

i have looked around and can't really find an answer since not a lot of people tend to modify these for off road use, but does anybody know will an 18 inch wheel fit on a 2013 range rover sport with the use of spacers.

Worms

If you go onto the rrsport.co.uk/forum you will find plenty of threads on wheels and tyres and lots of people modifying for off-road use.

Javelinadave

Adventurer
Anybody successfully use 19” wheels on a non-supercharged 2013 Sport? If so, wha are the biggest tires I can use with 2” lifting rods. I want more sidewall but don’t want to use spacers.

99Discovery

Adventurer
The problem with 90s isn't the sidewall advantage over 20s, it's the fact there is literally zero off-road options for 19" rims that aren't super expensive (and hard to find). I have 19's on my L322 and somedays I wish I had 20s.

I'm going to try to find a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's when my tread wears off (the only aggressive tire I can find are Blizzak snow tires!)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The problem with 90s isn't the sidewall advantage over 20s, it's the fact there is literally zero off-road options for 19" rims that aren't super expensive (and hard to find). I have 19's on my L322 and somedays I wish I had 20s.

I'm going to try to find a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ's when my tread wears off (the only aggressive tire I can find are Blizzak snow tires!)

19" offroad tire; don't forget about the Duratrac. It's brilliant on AND offroad; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=555QR9WDTXL&tab=Sizes

99Discovery

Adventurer
True, but the Duratrac's treadlife isn't where i"d like it and for $300/tire for XL-rated sidewall is embarrassing. Especially when you are looking at $140-160/tire for 265/65R16 (32") Load Range E Cooper ATPs.
I've found some brand name Auturo has a weird looking mud tire...I might give it a go, or go back to my Blizzaks.

This is about more what I'd expect at most to pay for a 30" XS/XL tire ($160), the question is....how good is it? Tread grade is 540 vs. 320 for the Duratracs, and it's half the price.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...ital&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=7913187

Jwestpro

Explorer
19" offroad tire; don't forget about the Duratrac. It's brilliant on AND offroad; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=555QR9WDTXL&tab=Sizes

Hey, you probably forgot that the 5800 lb stock LR3/4 are really just too heavy to be using a non E load range tire in off-road situations where you’d need that type of tire. You of all people with plenty of experience should already know this ;)

Also, all you other people going on about spacers, then you create a bunch of tire clearance problems that then limit the tire size.

Compomotive or similar aftermarket wheels with tight offsets or downsizing brake rotors is the best tire size/selection solution. It’s an annoying prospect but it’s worth it.

I understand the thought process as I’ve been through all the time wasting ideas you’re discussing here, many years ago though when there was almost nobody doing it yet.

Jwestpro

Explorer
265/65R16 (32")

In the name of forum data sharing accuracy, that’s s 31.5. 275/65 is 32

My EBC rotors and pads provide what has felt like essentially equal emergency stopping power and limb decent resilience as compared to factory parts/size previously.

Using the UK V6/tdi spec size brake rotors and carrier allows me to run factory 17” but the same idea should work for converting LR4/RRS to smaller size which would allow for factory 18”.

The benefit of factory wheels is their offset (narrowest) is the best of all for tucking the largest tire into the fenders during full articulations and tight turning.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hey, you probably forgot that the 5800 lb stock LR3/4 are really just too heavy to be using a non E load range tire in off-road situations where you’d need that type of tire. You of all people with plenty of experience should already know this ;)

Also, all you other people going on about spacers, then you create a bunch of tire clearance problems that then limit the tire size.

Compomotive or similar aftermarket wheels with tight offsets or downsizing brake rotors is the best tire size/selection solution. It’s an annoying prospect but it’s worth it.

I understand the thought process as I’ve been through all the time wasting ideas you’re discussing here, many years ago though when there was almost nobody doing it yet.

Hehe! However, I politely disagree...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=555QR9WDTXL&tab=Sizes
Load range is XL (2403lbs at 50psi max) and load index is 111 (2409lbs/tire). Sure, an E load (10ply, 80psi max pressure) can handle more load, but we're not talking big diesel vans/trucks here. You of all people should know that you should keep your load to a minimum ;); '08 LR3 GVWR is 7121lbs. So 2403lbs/corner x 4 = 9612lbs, which appears to be more than sufficient. Who runs at over 50psi on the highway anyways??

Links for others;
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/steves-tire-selections/best-10-ply-tires
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun-2/e-rated-10-ply-tires-for-heavy-duty-use-v1

Compomotive have come to the table with their PD1881's, allowing the big 6piston Brembo's up front on the SC(s/c'd) rigs to be retained (they say once the phonic dampers are removed). After lots of alternative wheel sourcing (few options, a wheel for a BMW X5 may work), and considering downgrading to the 4piston Brembo's up front which are still very good, I'd go with the Comp PD1881 to be able to retain the 6pots.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
True, but the Duratrac's treadlife isn't where i"d like it and for $300/tire for XL-rated sidewall is embarrassing. Especially when you are looking at $140-160/tire for 265/65R16 (32") Load Range E Cooper ATPs.
I've found some brand name Auturo has a weird looking mud tire...I might give it a go, or go back to my Blizzaks.

This is about more what I'd expect at most to pay for a 30" XS/XL tire ($160), the question is....how good is it? Tread grade is 540 vs. 320 for the Duratracs, and it's half the price.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...ital&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=7913187

Have you run on the Duratrac's before? What mileage did you get out of them?
How many miles are you expecting from a set of all terrain tires?
Again, who needs a load range E on an LR3/4?(sure, the extra measure of "protection" is great if you can get it, but is it really needed?) How much payload are you filling your rig with??

Jwestpro

Explorer
Mine and many other LR3 on trips are over 8000 lbs. XL maxed out at 50psi is morecrosk than I’m willing to try for no good reason.

I run 52-54 psi on the highway.

XL idea will not be doing so well when at 22 psi and heat starts to build up.

Add to that the E sidewall and overall carcass....again, why use an XL at its margins vs an E well within the margins.

99Discovery

Adventurer
What jwestpro said. For me, I'm not so heavy laden, but all the tire failures I've seen and have been involved in over the past 10 years have all been sidewall failures on "P" rated SUV tires, regardless of design. One was brand new 4Runner TRD Pro with the factory off-road tires, sidewall tore open on a rock on a rather benign trail.

The Blizzaks I have have some chunks missing and a scratch (small tear) on the sidewall of one of the tires. It's almost time to replace them. And I've seen Duratracs, I like them, but they are too expensive more my tastes. At 320 treadwear rating I don't see why they'd be worth $300 vs. Cooper Zeons LTZs at $222/tire and 500+ rated treadwear life. Both are absurdly expensive for the amount their sidewall protects, so most people will pay the extra $20/tire for "no questions asked warranty replacement" because it's highly likely you will destroy a sidewall on the trail. While my Discovery 2 on E-rated Cooper ATPs at 22-24psi, I have zero problems and traverse much more difficult and tire-damaging terrain without fear.

The whole 19"+ rim off-road market and selection is rather embarassing and it's part of the reason I'm heavily considering the L322 and D2 as my last Rovers. All of the 2020 Defender Mules are running on 20" rims. :(.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior