18 months around Australia with Dan Grec / The Road Chose Me

billiebob

Hi All,

Have you ever dreamed of driving around the world without shipping or flying your vehicle?
All you have to do is drive a Jeep that is also a boat, which is exactly what Ben & Elinore Carlin did in their amphibious Jeep named "Half-Safe"

Their journey and story is utterly mind-blowing, and while reading the book I just kept thinking it couldn't possibly be real.
The adventure is off the scale, the sights, the risks, the absurdity of it all.

And now I have the proof it really did all happen!
I visited Half-Safe, laying my eyes on the actual Jeep, and I'm still grinning like mad!

I don't believe this adventure will ever be topped, and is the pinnacle of "Drive Around The World".

Come along as I walk you through the entire story, showing off Half-Safe in it's final display location in Western Australia.

-Dan
On the half safe Jeep, I read this book in the 1960s...

13026.jpg

I was not a reader but this book hooked me on books followed by National Geographics tale of sailing around the world.

I think Robin was 15 when he left LA

51ljq11Oy8L._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Today.... this

51Vwr8IlmwS._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and this...

B0881QGFDL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

I'm feeling at a bit of a loose end now that Katie has flown back to Canada, so I caught up with Josh in his big Land Cruiser 78 Troopie and went out on a boys 4x4 trip for a few days!

Josh took me to stunning coastlines, deep sand and unbelievable campsites along the South Western coast of WA.

Check it out on the latest YouTube episode:

-Dan

Mules

Hi all,

I'm feeling at a bit of a loose end now that Katie has flown back to Canada, so I caught up with Josh in his big Land Cruiser 78 Troopie and went out on a boys 4x4 trip for a few days!

Josh took me to stunning coastlines, deep sand and unbelievable campsites along the South Western coast of WA.

-Dan
Great video Dan! Tell Josh I love his Troopy also. Keep the videos coming, as this one had some beautiful coast line.

Mike

alanymarce

Not true.
As a tourist, you can bring your LHD vehicle that is registered (and continues to be registered) overseas. You can not sell it in Australia and it must leave the country when you do.
Vehicles registered overseas temporarily being used in Queensland | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government (www.qld.gov.au)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
We travelled in our LHD Montero for 10 months around Australia. No problems at all; no need for a "LHD" sticker since it's less than 3500 Kg GVM. Didn't have to pay road tolls (thank you to Australian tax-payers) : )

Mules

Hi all,

-Dan
This video makes me wish I kept my 40th anniversary Landcruiser pictured below. I love my Gladiator, but my old Landcruiser was unstoppable and is still my all time favorite 4 wheel drive.

It would have been nice to convert to an overloading vehicle. I've seen a couple roof conversions on these 80 series.

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 7.35.15 AM.png

alanymarce

I love my Gladiator, but my old Landcruiser was unstoppable and is still my all time favorite 4 wheel drive.

It would have been nice to convert to an overloading vehicle. I've seen a couple roof conversions on these 80 series.
Here's ours. In hindsight we didn't need the second spare, nor the kit box.
LC 1 awning extended small.jpg

roamingyak

Observer
Good to see your still going Dan!
Hopefully see you back in Africa one day soon, Australia is a bit too safe and tame for me, but then as a Kiwi I have to say that ;-p

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I've been extremely busy in the last few weeks, including driving the world's most remote road with my Dad (video on that is still in the works), driving back 6,500km, returning the Gladiator to mostly stock and now selling it!

Here's a catch up:

Part 3 of my review series where I talk about the mistakes I made on the build and the lessons I've learned:

And now my "Final Thoughts" video as I've just sold the Jeep this morning:

It's been a HUGE adventure, and I'm scrambling to get back to Canada before Christmas. There's a ton of snow on the ground, which is going to be a shock.

-Dan

1000arms

Hi All,

I've been extremely busy in the last few weeks, including driving the world's most remote road with my Dad (video on that is still in the works), driving back 6,500km, returning the Gladiator to mostly stock and now selling it!

Here's a catch up:

Part 3 of my review series where I talk about the mistakes I made on the build and the lessons I've learned:

And now my "Final Thoughts" video as I've just sold the Jeep this morning:

It's been a HUGE adventure, and I'm scrambling to get back to Canada before Christmas. There's a ton of snow on the ground, which is going to be a shock.

-Dan
Will you be writing another book?

1000arms

Yep, for sure. Shockingly it will be called "The Road Chose Me Volume 3" :D

I've got a lot of irons in the fire and a lot on the go right now, so I am writing the book, but don't expect it in the next few months!

-Dan
Good to know! :)

DaveNay

Adventurer

-Dan
I've very interested to hear what your next truck and plans are! Can't wait for the first video of the new series.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

Tons of people have been asking why I choose to live in Canada.

Why would I subject myself to these freezing temperatures and nasty weather when I could be sitting on the beach in Australia... ?

It's a good question, and the topic of today's "Christmas Story" special video.
Join me on YouTube as I cross the world in 85 hours, spend time with an old friend and explain myself.

Also driving on snow & ice is completely insane.
I'm extremely thankful to have great winter tires!

-Dan

PS There is still one more mega video of Australian adventures to come.... But in the mean time I'm going to take a few weeks off YouTube. Merry Christmas everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles