18 months around Australia with Dan Grec / The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

The Frenchman's Track in Far North Queensland dished out mud, a very deep and fast flowing river crossing, tons of flexy bits and absolutely stunning landscapes.

This was easy the sketchiest riving crossing of my life, and we spent a very long time assessing the safest way to get across.

We again teamed up with a young couple in their 78 series Land Cruiser Troopie, and a BIG GU Patrol to get it done.
We had a great time comparing the different vehicles handled the obsticles, and the others simply couldn't believe how easy the Jeep made it look. While they would get BIG wheel lifts and wheel spin, the Jeep walked up everything at almost no speed.
I'm coming around to the automatic transmission for the technical stuff, and the low range Rubicon gearing is king for control.

Checkout the full video now on YT:

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

The "Old Tele" track is in the Far North East of Australia, and takes you up almost to the very tip of the continent (which is only 1,500kms from the Equator... (1000mi)) ... so it's hot, sticky and tropical up here, even in winter (which it is now in Australia)
The track took us four days and includes some of Australia's most famous 4x4 obstacles.

There are many deep water crossings, including Nolan's (almost up to the hood) and quite a few very steep/tricky creek entrances and exits with big mud walls that can cause panel damage.

I drove the Jeep Gladiator, and I teamed up with a new VDJ78 Land Cruiser (4.8 V8 TD), a GU Nissan Patrol (4.2 TD) and an older HZJ75 Land Cruiser. It was incredible to see how the different vehicles handles the different obstacles, and how they were driven differently based on the vehicles strengths.

We had an incredible time, and on the final day we all said "Should we go and do it again right now?" - we loved it that much. I can totally see why people come up every year to do it over and over.

This track has been on my "Top 10 global overland tracks" for a couple of decades, and I absolutely loved it and I'm so stoked I got to spend the time and do it right!

The full video of our adventure is on YouTube:
-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Driving the Old Tele Track with a rag tag team of adventurers was a whole lot of fun - not only did we make new friends and have a lot of laughs, we also got to compare vastly different vehicles.

In the latest YouTube episode I showcase the vehicles we drove the Tele with, running around each one to highlight the features I like the most, and what we can learn from each vehicle to apply to our own setups.
I really enjoying seeing how other people have outfitted their vehicles, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the best and well thought out features into my future vehicles and adventures.

Overland Rides - VDJ78 Land Cruiser / HZJ75 Land Cruiser / GU Nissan Patrol

Which one of these vehicles would you have and why?

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

On this week's episode we're exploring the remote "Gulf Country" across the top of Australia.
We find wild and remote hot springs, paddle in a stunning gorge, drive on plenty of dusty and corrugated remote roads and venture into what might be the most stunning rock formations I've ever seen.

The distances are HUGE up here and I'm extremely thankful for the aux fuel tank, without which we'd be filling up with $2.90/L gas ($7.48USD/Gal) often! Having such a long range means I can skip the smaller expensive ones and only fill up every 600 miles at the big cheaper stations.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

The Top End of Australia was everything I always dreamed it would be - hot, remote & dusty.
But it's also so much more!
There are plenty of stunning waterfalls to explore, crocs to dodge and wild places to camp.
This is the land of "Crocodile Dundee" from my memories and it absolutely did not disappoint!

Checkout all our adventures in the latest video, on YouTube now:

We've also rolled over 40,000kms on this adventure, with plenty more to come!
(That's about 25k miles)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

Katie and I learned of a "Secret Spring" in a remote location with waterfalls, swimming and some cool 4x4ing required to get in there.

This sounded like the perfect adventure for us, so we set out to see what was out there, and I filmed this episode about it.

Locals have sworn me to secrecy on this one, sothe goal of this video is to inspire you to get out on your own "Secret Spring" adventure!

I hope you enjoy seeing more of wild and remote Australia

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

The Gibb River Road in Northern Western Australia might actually be the pinnacle of remote long-distance 4x4 travel.
It certain is in the top five routes I've ever done in my life.

With tons to see and do, this was an epic 8 day trip that we won't soon forget
Join us as we take you on a journey that is 1300km long! (800mi)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

We're moving along the coastline of Western Australia, and we recently spent time in the Pilbara region.
This area is famous for bright red dirt, rock formations and extremely large distances and remoteness.
As we found out, they were not kidding!

We also tackle the longest river crossing of the expedition, find some warm springs and plenty of other stunning locations.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

We've been exploring in and around the stunning Karijini National Park in the Pilbara region of remote Western Australia.
The distances out here are staggering, and the long range fuel tank is getting a work out.

From stunning red rocks to canyons, waterfalls, wild camps and crazy Australian warning signs we checkout the stunning landscapes in the area.

Jump aboard to see what it's all about.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

Have you ever dreamed of driving around the world without shipping or flying your vehicle?
All you have to do is drive a Jeep that is also a boat, which is exactly what Ben & Elinore Carlin did in their amphibious Jeep named "Half-Safe"

Their journey and story is utterly mind-blowing, and while reading the book I just kept thinking it couldn't possibly be real.
The adventure is off the scale, the sights, the risks, the absurdity of it all.

And now I have the proof it really did all happen!
I visited Half-Safe, laying my eyes on the actual Jeep, and I'm still grinning like mad!

I don't believe this adventure will ever be topped, and is the pinnacle of "Drive Around The World".

Come along as I walk you through the entire story, showing off Half-Safe in it's final display location in Western Australia.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

The coastline of Western Australia is utterly breathtaking and includes some world-famous sights that have been a must visit for me for a couple of decades.

Driving to the edge of the earth in such spectacular scenery is one of many highlights on this continent, and has to be seen to be believed.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,
This adventure is nearing it's end, and I've listed the Gladiator for sale.
With over $24,000 USD in upgrades and gear you can take advantage of the strong US Dollar and have that Australian adventure you have always wanted. I'll pick you up at the Melbourne airport, you swing by a supermarket and your adventure begins.
For the Gladiator and all gear, I'm asking $75,000 USD.
Full details & photos in this Expo For Sale thread:
Fire away with any questions.
-Dan

billiebob

Since Australia won't let you land a left hand drive vehicle...
if you want to see Australia this is a "BEST BUY". period.

Awesome adventures Dan and Canada welcomes you back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94