18 Jeep JLU Rubicon Possible World Travel

This perfectly describes my experiences in Latin America and all around Africa. You said it better than I can.
It's exceedingly rare to meet an overlander in a 3rd world country that is intentionally going "wheeling" or seeking out the stupid technical stuff.
When your vehicle is your entire house and world, and you're thousands of miles away from parts, or even someone that speaks the same language as you, preserving the vehicle becomes very high on the priority list.

-Dan

I'll add that in the same vein as your " When your vehicle is your entire house and world, and you're thousands of miles away from parts, or even someone that speaks the same language as you, preserving the vehicle becomes very high on the priority list." I wonder how smart it is to take a dirt bike and risk injury. I'm an expert rider but things do happen. Of course guys ride adventure bikes all the time and have way more exposure to risk that I will ever have on a dirt bike, so there is that.

I think I'm going to do my Alaska/BC trip towing a trailer with the dirt bike and get my fill of it that way. Then go from there...trailerless. Thanks for the insights!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'll add that in the same vein as your " When your vehicle is your entire house and world, and you're thousands of miles away from parts, or even someone that speaks the same language as you, preserving the vehicle becomes very high on the priority list." I wonder how smart it is to take a dirt bike and risk injury. I'm an expert rider but things do happen. Of course guys ride adventure bikes all the time and have way more exposure to risk that I will ever have on a dirt bike, so there is that.

I think I'm going to do my Alaska/BC trip towing a trailer with the dirt bike and get my fill of it that way. Then go from there...trailerless. Thanks for the insights!

That's one of the reasons I didn't take a surfboard or mountain bike around Africa with me.
Even a small piece of coral in your foot in remote Gabon could turn into a very, very big problem. Not to mention getting swept onto rocks or otherwise, both of which are not uncommon in surfing.

In the past I've broken my nose mountain biking, and gone over the handle bars once... so the chance of injury there is also significant.

-Dan

nickw

Adventurer
I'm thinking many MANY jeep guys are going over the payload listed. Passengers RTT, tools, winches, bumpers, skid plates, rocker guards, spare parts such as axles, food, water, on and on these things are loaded to the gills and I really havent heard of any issues with doing so.

Not saying this is optimal or the right thing to do but the reality is there, jeeps are holding up doing so.

It just decreases your factor of safety, both mechanical and vehicle dynamic / handling along with things like wear and tear and fuel mileage. You probably won't have issues with axles, Tcases and tranny strength...I'd be more worried about balljoints, knuckles, steering joints, engine/tranny temps, suspension etc.

Jeeps were designed to deal with difficult trails and are great for that....not sustained, high speed rough terrain use at max (or over) capacity.

Like I said, based on what I've seen and conversations from folks.....but there are more than 1 way to skin a cat.

My guess is most bring what they know they need, try not to go overboard and dont even think about it. Speeds wont be an issue for me and for the reasons Dan gave. All ball joints should be new or newish prior to a big journey, and spares are small and easy to replace.

Again, of course one should adhere to limits (so you are right for sure) but when I see what guys carrying in their TJ's JK's and now JL's, payload really isnt a concern as far as broken parts. I'm more worried about the fun it takes away from a really fun vehicle. I'm looking at alum bumpers, skid plates, and other light weight dodads.

I have considered better brakes for the reasons your giving. The JL is already pretty good but with my 35s and added weight it might be smart. This is something the JT already has along with better cooling, beefed up tranny, probably more.

If it were me I go jt I absolutely love my Jl but for world wide travel given the aforementioned items the jt is probably better small securable camper it would be tough to beat

phsycle

Adventurer
How technical are these trails? Are locals traveling these roads outfitted with 37's and F&R lockers?

If you are able to figure a way to register two vehicles, I am wondering if something like a regular cab Ram 1500/2500 would be better. High-rise camper shell that fits the bike, which would double as a sleeping platform. With all the AEV/Mopar/aftermarket suspension and armor options available, they are very capable. Larger gas tank means better range. Better payload. The size of the truck is larger, for sure, but would that really impede your travels that much, if at all? Just throwing out thoughts.

Dodge-Ram-Prospector-by-AEV-0.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You will have a hard time crossing some international borders with two vehicles registered in your name (i.e. the Jeep and the bike).

Some countries don't let you do that.

Also remember anything outside the vehicle will get absolutely hammered by the dust, mud and sun, to the point it will be destroyed in a couple of years.
I don't have a mountain bike for that reason.

-Dan
Wouldn't the trailer make it three; Jeep, trailer, and motorcycle.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
This is why I scrapped my Jeep for a fullsize. Trucks are best with bikes. Don't forget 12' ramps. Sure you don't need ramps that nice with a dirtbike, until you have to load up a broken bent bike. A Jeep doesn't have, even remotely, enough cargo capacity for basic overland gear, a bike, ramps, boots, helmet, tires, tools, two fuel jugs, etc. etc.

Whatever the Jeep does better than a truck, the bike takes care of even better. But you ain't sleeping in the bed with the bike. Get a good ladder rack and a RTT.

Do you really plan on ditching your truck in a 3rd world country, to ride your bike? Especially when epic rides come with at least a 1% chance of major injuries. Foreign hospitals are nightmares.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't the trailer make it three; Jeep, trailer, and motorcycle.

I believe most countries don't write a Temp Import Permit for a trailer.

Friends did get a Carnet for theirs through Africa (Thought it was as big as their Jeep...)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Do you really plan on ditching your truck in a 3rd world country, to ride your bike? Especially when epic rides come with at least a 1% chance of major injuries. Foreign hospitals are nightmares.
I've been to hospitals in Ecuador, Mali, Angola, South Africa and met TONS of overlanders that have had everything from root canals to surgery around the developing/undeveloped world.
The care is good, and CHEAP.

For example: http://theroadchoseme.com/heath-care-in-a-third-world-country

-Dan

billiebob

I'd sooner need medical care in a third world country than the USA.
Their first triage question is not, "do you have insurance?"

How technical are these trails? Are locals traveling these roads outfitted with 37's and F&R lockers?

If you are able to figure a way to register two vehicles, I am wondering if something like a regular cab Ram 1500/2500 would be better. High-rise camper shell that fits the bike, which would double as a sleeping platform. With all the AEV/Mopar/aftermarket suspension and armor options available, they are very capable. Larger gas tank means better range. Better payload. The size of the truck is larger, for sure, but would that really impede your travels that much, if at all? Just throwing out thoughts.

Dodge-Ram-Prospector-by-AEV-0.jpg
I dont know. I wont be seeking out tech just want to be able to do it if it comes up. I'm a jeep guy but it is possible a full size truck might be better.

This is why I scrapped my Jeep for a fullsize. Trucks are best with bikes. Don't forget 12' ramps. Sure you don't need ramps that nice with a dirtbike, until you have to load up a broken bent bike. A Jeep doesn't have, even remotely, enough cargo capacity for basic overland gear, a bike, ramps, boots, helmet, tires, tools, two fuel jugs, etc. etc.

Whatever the Jeep does better than a truck, the bike takes care of even better. But you ain't sleeping in the bed with the bike. Get a good ladder rack and a RTT.

I dont know how safe my stuff will be.. it will likely be area depending. As far as room for stuff in the jeep, that's why I wanted to bring a trailer. Sounds like that might not be possible anyway along with the bike.

And your right the plan all along would not go off searching for hard core wheeling. The dirt bike was for that type of terrain and even more with a small 300 ktm.

and yeah injury is a concern and there is not better care in the world then here in the USA. I'm laid up now and have a Pro sports team doc who is very well regarded. I would have to be careful and not take chances but I cant live my life to carefully otherwise why would anyone consider overlanding in foreign places to begin with?

borison

Adventurer
I'd sooner need medical care in a third world country than the USA.
Their first triage question is not, "do you have insurance?"
That’s actually not the first question the triage nurse asks, the nurse doesn’t ask that question. I’m pretty familiar with the process. Good luck in your healthcare pursuits.

billiebob

That’s actually not the first question the triage nurse asks, the nurse doesn’t ask that question. I’m pretty familiar with the process. Good luck in your healthcare pursuits.
Been there with a broken arm, and yes, that is the first question at admitting.
I never said nurse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94