18 Jeep JLU Rubicon Possible World Travel

I'm slowly setting this thing up but really having trouble doing so.

I really want and NEED to bring my dirt bike. My initially plan was to build (building it now) a trailer to haul it up to BC and Alaska when I retire next year. Should have no problem doing so other then expensive ferry rides IF I find myself doing them.

BUT

I have found myself pondering something bigger trip-wise. Perhaps down to Chile and back? Maybe to Europe, then Asia, Australia? Why not, I'm retiring!? I came to thinking this after watching Dan "The road chose ME" youtube vids (although Africa doesn't interest me as much), also "The Way Overland", and some others. Looks like my idea of what it's like has been turned upside-down for much of it.

BUT how is a trailer going to work in those places? Not that I watch a tons of vids or read about every journey but I don't recall a single off road trailer?? Am I wrong.?

If a trailer is not a smart choice looks like I chose the wrong vehicle or did "The Wrong Vehicle Chose Me" ....sorry Dan. lol

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
How about something simple that covers both the motorcycle and gear. I cant remember where I saw it, but a fella had taken a M116 generator trailer, added some lockable cargo boxes on the sides (think fenders)...and had built a rack to hold his rtt. The rack allowed a MC to be secured underneath it. Now you have a basecamp and a trailer for the MC. Yes, it adds a little extra costs when crossing any water, but home is with you and the jeep is not jammed full of gear with a MC attached to the rear.

nickw

Adventurer
Those hitch carriers work well on localized trips or smooth highway use, I wouldnt trust one on consistent high speed gravel or unimproved roads like you'll find in parts of BC / Alaska and South America. That's not to mention your probably are going to seriously pushing your vehicle capacity with 300 lbs leveraged off the back.

A small enclosed trailer is an option, I'd make sure its enclosed though.

I've seen some crazy adventures with sub optimal gear. Trailer gets weight off rig at expense of maneuverability. Secured campsites give you option of dumping trailer. Citiy driving / parking wont work well lugging around a trailer.

Trade offs...but if people can travel the world with those huge MAN 4X4s you can too.

These folks had a trailer on part of their journey:

How about something simple that covers both the motorcycle and gear. I cant remember where I saw it, but a fella had taken a M116 generator trailer, added some lockable cargo boxes on the sides (think fenders)...and had built a rack to hold his rtt. The rack allowed a MC to be secured underneath it. Now you have a basecamp and a trailer for the MC. Yes, it adds a little extra costs when crossing any water, but home is with you and the jeep is not jammed full of gear with a MC attached to the rear.
This would be my first choice and I am building a trailer now for my Alaska BC trip. There is no way around towing being a PITA, but it for sure has bennys. My preference is to not load down the jeep too much if I can help it and have most of the gear in the trailer and use it as base camp while I explore on my dirt bike (ktm 300xcw) and jeep.

But shipping a jeep AND trailer has got to be probably double $$ to Australia, Europe, etc. Plus I just dont see many trailers in those places (the USA has plenty) in my brief scanning. Is that the reason or are they more hassle then they are worth?

Those hitch carriers work well on localized trips or smooth highway use, I wouldnt trust one on consistent high speed gravel or unimproved roads like you'll find in parts of BC / Alaska and South America. That's not to mention your probably are going to seriously pushing your vehicle capacity with 300 lbs leveraged off the back.

A small enclosed trailer is an option, I'd make sure its enclosed though.

I've seen some crazy adventures with sub optimal gear. Trailer gets weight off rig at expense of maneuverability. Secured campsites give you option of dumping trailer. Citiy driving / parking wont work well lugging around a trailer.

Trade offs...but if people can travel the world with those huge MAN 4X4s you can too.

These folks had a trailer on part of their journey:

yeah the jeeps tongue weight rating is 350. Dirt bike comes in at 250 ready to ride. Good points.

Yeah my trailer build is enclosed. And yeah, trailers are a mixed bag for sure. I hope to keep away from Cities but realize that may not be an option.

Thinking the dirt bike is the problem here. I hate the idea of not bringing it, I can cover unimaginable ground on it.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Thinking the dirt bike is the problem here. I hate the idea of not bringing it, I can cover unimaginable ground on it.

I hate to say it, but my initial thought was the same as @Jeep or Tacoma ‘s suggestion. Other than the fact you already have a JL and the added cost and PITA of switching vehicles, why not a JT? Not sure what mods you’ve made to the JL, but many of them can be swapped over (as I’m sure you know).

Jeep gladiator?
Yeah, I thought of that and dont rule it out but I really like this new jeep for it's better off road capability. Not sure if the bed is big enough anyway. If I were to go to another vehicle it would probably be a 4x4 van. Throw the bike back there and work out the interior logistics around it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You will have a hard time crossing some international borders with two vehicles registered in your name (i.e. the Jeep and the bike).

Some countries don't let you do that.

Also remember anything outside the vehicle will get absolutely hammered by the dust, mud and sun, to the point it will be destroyed in a couple of years.
I don't have a mountain bike for that reason.

-Dan

Jurfie

Adventurer
Yeah, I thought of that and dont rule it out but I really like this new jeep for it's better off road capability. Not sure if the bed is big enough anyway.

The Gladiator is still plenty capable; it’s still a Jeep after all. And the bed is big enough if you’re okay with leaving the tailgate down:

24A8AAEC-A795-4C5D-8468-36CDFE3BACA3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles