18 Jeep JLU Rubicon Possible World Travel

borison

Adventurer
Same thing happened to a coworker climbing in Canada. Struck in the face with ice and rock. The Canadian hospital wanted payment up front to fix his face. Go figure.

So what I have come up with so far is::

Bringing a trailer may or may not be allowed in some countries and if I really want to do this I need to investigate the countries I plan to visit.

Bringing a bike is the same as above. I know MX is trailer and bike friendly, Canada too, but the rest of the world who knows at the point

The JLUR payload is pretty lame, so if I go trailerless I will have to watch what I bring. I have a lift with 35s so that should help but I think payloads are like tow rating limits, they dont REALLY change no matter what mods you make.

ChasingOurTrunks

So what I have come up with so far is::

Bringing a trailer may or may not be allowed in some countries and if I really want to do this I need to investigate the countries I plan to visit.

Bringing a bike is the same as above. I know MX is trailer and bike friendly, Canada too, but the rest of the world who knows at the point

The JLUR payload is pretty lame, so if I go trailerless I will have to watch what I bring. I have a lift with 35s so that should help but I think payloads are like tow rating limits, they dont REALLY change no matter what mods you make.

I agree with you on payloads not changing. Some countries may also deny you required insurance if you are over your GVWR (what I’ve been told, not personal experience).

How much riding in various parts of the world do you plan to do? If it’s a once-in-a-while thing, or there are specific trails or places you want to ride in, perhaps renting a bike would be easier/more economical than towing/hauling your own bike?

And you mentioned you wanted to do a variety of trips. Are you planning on a few months on the road, and a few months at home, or a continuous journey? If you are doing a bit on the road and a bit at home, you could always do some trips via bike, and some trips via JLUR, rather than bring both all the time.

I agree with you on payloads not changing. Some countries may also deny you required insurance if you are over your GVWR (what I’ve been told, not personal experience).

How much riding in various parts of the world do you plan to do? If it’s a once-in-a-while thing, or there are specific trails or places you want to ride in, perhaps renting a bike would be easier/more economical than towing/hauling your own bike?

And you mentioned you wanted to do a variety of trips. Are you planning on a few months on the road, and a few months at home, or a continuous journey? If you are doing a bit on the road and a bit at home, you could always do some trips via bike, and some trips via JLUR, rather than bring both all the time.
Sorry it's been so long.
IF I could take a bike I'd be riding quite a bit. I can cover area's in a 10th of the time a jeep could do IF it could do it. So if I cant take a bike it sure would be a shame but I'm ok with it if it's too big a PITA.
My initial plans are to hit the western states, head up in and thru BC, Yukon, Alaska. I plan on a 4 month stint but this isnt locked in. In these areas I will be taking my bike, and trailer. A second trip will be Baja California. These will be shake down trips as much as adventure. From there it's either head down to South American, europe/asia, likely bikeless where I will likely rent one where I can.

Mean while I have been beefing up my jeep. 9k Winch and front bumper, rear steel bumper 4.88 gears, 37's RCV front axle shafts, Yukon rear axle shafts. Front steering is RPM 2.5 ton components and I trussed the front axle. Next is a beefed up tire carrier, trussed rear axle, and alum skid plate. Been watching weight, and so for I'm up 150lbs not including tires. The tire cxr net weight is about 35lbs and full skidplate 10lbs.

Have you thought about taking a full suspension high power e bike instead of a motorcycle
guessing an ebike is battery. No, never considered it. Not sure how I would charge it or if I ran out of juice how easy it would be to re-energize it in the bush, vs gas and just carrying a jug of gas. Still I look forward to a realistic battery power dirt bike. or 4wd rig for that matter. It would be very cool.

depending on thr bike but you could be up to 75 mile range possible solar recharge form your jeeps sola panels and if yourun out of juice you still have pedals.. I am onold district 37 desert racer and know well the draw of a good dirt bike. but this might be an option for you

luthj

Engineer In Residence
GVWR for the Wrangler is mostly limited by roll over and crash avoidance. Lifting it, and adding larger (taller sidewall) tires will actually reduce the GVWR, especially if you remove sway bars or put softer springs on.

If you are considering long term overland travel, I would get some experience under you belt with what you have currently. Don't spend a ton of money on changes until you have a feel for what your needs are. You may find you want something you can stand in. Truck bed camper, van, etc. Folks like to focus on the big modified awesome rock-crawl-super-maxi-lift 4x4 as the ultimate overland vehicle. The reality is that most choose something much closer to stock mechanically, and with more of the day-to-day comforts. Such as easy of operation for extended periods, driver comfort, and whatever specific needs the travel locale requires.

As for secondary transport. There are some great E bikes. A few are blurring the line between bicycle and pure motorcycle.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We brought a KTM down to Panama. The thing is though, there were two of us. The bike was under my friend's name who was traveling with me.
I believe there is a couple countries where you can't bring two vehicles at the time, although they may some ways around this.

You can read more here:

1576702943097.png

Last edited:
GVWR for the Wrangler is mostly limited by roll over and crash avoidance. Lifting it, and adding larger (taller sidewall) tires will actually reduce the GVWR, especially if you remove sway bars or put softer springs on.

If you are considering long term overland travel, I would get some experience under you belt with what you have currently. Don't spend a ton of money on changes until you have a feel for what your needs are. You may find you want something you can stand in. Truck bed camper, van, etc. Folks like to focus on the big modified awesome rock-crawl-super-maxi-lift 4x4 as the ultimate overland vehicle. The reality is that most choose something much closer to stock mechanically, and with more of the day-to-day comforts. Such as easy of operation for extended periods, driver comfort, and whatever specific needs the travel locale requires.

As for secondary transport. There are some great E bikes. A few are blurring the line between bicycle and pure motorcycle.
Good stuff.
I'm going to do as you suggested and go with my original plan of jeep and trailer/bike and MAYBE later just the jeep (without the bike and with ursa minor) see how things go. I do need the jeep set up the way I did for some reasonably tuff terrain I have planned in north america. Rubicon, Moab, a few others. A stock jeep just isnt going to cut it. So far comfort hasnt been affected in the least, capability is now amazing, the only negative is mpg seems to be down a bit, but my calibration is off too. Trips to far away lands would have me taking off the bigger tires and not searching out anything near as techical. The rest I've done I would consider essential.

Last edited:
depending on thr bike but you could be up to 75 mile range possible solar recharge form your jeeps sola panels and if yourun out of juice you still have pedals.. I am onold district 37 desert racer and know well the draw of a good dirt bike. but this might be an option for you
This is a possibility. My bud just bought one and he loves the darn thing. I'd still rather have my 18 300xcw but sounds like a PITA to bring it.

We brought a KTM down to Panama. The thing is though, there were two of us. The bike was under my friend's name who was traveling with me.
I believe there is a couple countries where you can't bring two vehicles at the time, although they may some ways around this.

You can read more here:

View attachment 556836
NICE rig and set up!! I'll read about your journey for sure. How did that hauler work for you long term? With the bike exposed like that did it get trashed at all?

That’s actually not the first question the triage nurse asks, the nurse doesn’t ask that question. I’m pretty familiar with the process. Good luck in your healthcare pursuits.
I think both you and billiebob are right. The first question I USED to get was insurance info but I was admitted recently and that must have changed. I immediately gave them the card and they did not want it until the end of my care.

I honestly dont care if they want it up front unless I'm in agonizing pain.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
This is a possibility. My bud just bought one and he loves the darn thing. I'd still rather have my 18 300xcw but sounds like a PITA to bring it.
I'm not so sure a high perf 2 stroke is the right bike. I'd go get a TW200 or a good used air cooled 4 stroke that can run on low grade fuel. I think a 2 stroke would be too limiting due to gas availability and comfort on longer rides. Not to mention, it would sting a lot worse getting your $10k KTM stolen vs a $3k something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94