17x8" wheels w 3.5" BS & <-25 offset?

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm really loving the look of the SCS F5 fitment on Rickashay's Tundra. I'm trying to avoid spacers (more expense) and intend to run 255/75r17 (or 235/80r1) with potential to go up to 285/75r17 in the future. I'm worried that the 9" wheels will be too wide for anything less than 255's due to tread section width. I don't mind some stretch on the race car, but on a truck it looks goofy, and sucks when airing down.

That being said, I like the pizza cutter look.

Is anyone making an aggressive fitment (low BS and low offset) but narrow 17" wheel for the 6x5.5 toyotas?

So far I've found a Vision Steel wheels for $74 each in 17x8 -12 with 4" backspacing, but heavy. And US Wheel Crawler series in 17x8 with -19 offset for $180.

PHeller

Adventurer
I'd prefer to stick with the 17" simply because that's what my stock wheels are and I like the ability to swap tires between wheels if necessary.

If I can't find anything that matches the criteria in 17" then I'll probably go the 16" route.

scheefdog

Observer
I am running 34x10.5r17 KO2 on my Tundra without spacers. I did not want to run spacers and I wanted a 17x8 wheel because I don't plan on running a wider tire than 10.5 or 11 inches.

The wheels I ended up going with are 17x8 -10 offset Level 8 MK6 - weight is 25lbs (2 lbs lighter than the stock 17s that were on the truck). They are from discount tire - the benefit is that if I toast a wheel it is easy to get a replacement fast. I paid $480 for the wheels shipped to my door because Discount was doing their $100 off $450 or more at their Ebay store. Yes, SCS or FN Wheels are nice and maybe slightly lighter, but they cost a lot more and getting a replacement if needed might be a process. FN Wheels seems to have a better selection of backspacing and narrow wheels than SCS if you go that route.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

PHeller

Adventurer
Interesting. What lift have you got on there scheefdog?

Unfortunately the Level 8 MK6 is now down to $146/ea with only a $50 rebate on 4 wheels. Making them too close to the SCS or FN wheels. I can still find them listed for $474 for 4 on ebay, but that's still $120 a wheel. I feel like I'm going to spend big money on wheels/tires I might as well get something I like and something that somebody will pay good money for on the used market.

scheefdog

Observer
Interesting. What lift have you got on there scheefdog?

Unfortunately the Level 8 MK6 is now down to $146/ea with only a $50 rebate on 4 wheels. Making them too close to the SCS or FN wheels. I can still find them listed for $474 for 4 on ebay, but that's still $120 a wheel. I feel like I'm going to spend big money on wheels/tires I might as well get something I like and something that somebody will pay good money for on the used market.

The truck just has Bilstein 5100s from the previous owner netting about 1.5" of lift in the front - back is stock leaf springs. I haven't experienced any rubbing yet with the 34s and it looks like the pitch weld would be the only place they might under full stuff with a turned wheel. The truck is new to me so it is a build in progress. I just re-geared at the same time as installing the tires and wow, that is worth the money (used Tacoma 4.56 factory diffs).

Do you have a Tundra or what vehicle are you looking to put these new wheels on?

Also, that sounds like a significant price difference to me. $474 vs $899 for FN wheels including shipping for either option. If they were made in the USA or Japan then I could justify the price difference. I personally would prefer to run some flavor of factory wheels with a fresh powder coat because of the quality and factory lug nuts, but I don't want to run spacers.

JLee

Adventurer
The truck just has Bilstein 5100s from the previous owner netting about 1.5" of lift in the front - back is stock leaf springs. I haven't experienced any rubbing yet with the 34s and it looks like the pitch weld would be the only place they might under full stuff with a turned wheel. The truck is new to me so it is a build in progress. I just re-geared at the same time as installing the tires and wow, that is worth the money (used Tacoma 4.56 factory diffs).

Do you have a Tundra or what vehicle are you looking to put these new wheels on?

Also, that sounds like a significant price difference to me. $474 vs $899 for FN wheels including shipping for either option. If they were made in the USA or Japan then I could justify the price difference. I personally would prefer to run some flavor of factory wheels with a fresh powder coat because of the quality and factory lug nuts, but I don't want to run spacers.

My FN F(x) Pro's were $800 shipped to the east coast.

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Yeah my scs f5s were right at $800ish shipped to the Rockies.

I got the 16x8 3.5bs with a -25 offset.

I'd just bump down to a 16inch wheel just because you can find the exact fit you're looking for.

What truck are they going on? On my 06 Tundra with the flares on, they are exactly even with bottom of the flare.

JLee

Adventurer
Yeah my scs f5s were right at $800ish shipped to the Rockies.

I got the 16x8 3.5bs with a -25 offset.

I'd just bump down to a 16inch wheel just because you can find the exact fit you're looking for.

What truck are they going on? On my 06 Tundra with the flares on, they are exactly even with bottom of the flare.

I would go with 16's as well. The only reason I have 17's is because I can't fit 16's (brakes). Sidewall is good.

PHeller

Adventurer
I've got an 06 Tundra DC.

I think 16's it'll be. Seems like every tire available for 17's is available for 16's and a bit cheaper too. And due to the miles of washboard road I drive I can't see any advantage to having less sidewall on the 17's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online