17 inch vs 18 inch

Medracr

hey all-
I'm looking to make my current DD a little more offroad friendly, and was looking to get more practical tires. Since my stocks are 19", I need to downsize in order to have any real options as far as tires. So the question is this: Do I go to 17 or 18 inch wheels? I understand that fact that 17s (as a rule) will be lighter than 18s. Any drawbacks for either? Any specific benefit? Or, is it just a matter of how much rubber I wan between the rim and road? Thanks!

dreadlocks

17's are super common size for truck tires, there will be a wider selection of load ranges, brands, types at a lower cost for a given OD.. 18 is a good middle ground tho.

and yeah, more sidewall the better the ride.. mine came with 20's and I went to 17's, dramatic difference in comfort, selection and price.. however my rotors are so large the caliper required a tiny bit of modification to get em clearanced.. and 18's woulda fit w/out that hassle.. so keep that in mind depending on your vehicle.

rayra

Expedition Leader
that more common 17" will usually be a good bit cheaper than a comparable size tire in 18". Like '5 tires for the price of 4' cheaper.
Taller sidewall more better for real off-road use. If you're just going for flat-brim bro-dozer, buy whatever your settlement check will cover.

Another vote for 17s. 18s are nice if you are going larger than a 35 inch tire. I usually go by the rule wheel size half the tire size. It offers a nice sidewall for airing down and not too much that it effects on road manners with too much sidewall squirm or flex. As mentioned you will need to check brake caliper clearance when going smaller.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I'll vote for 18's.

17's for will be joining the smaller size tires and be on the way out IF you are talking tires for something a little more full size.

You didn't mention your DD so is it a car, truck, small SUV or large SUV?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
17 sized tires are dying off. Depending on brand, 18's offer more E rated options.

Also cast Al 17's will rub the calipers if you use stick on weights in the center of some trucks. You have to place them towards the rim. Some people have had rocks get stuck in there as well. The extra half inch of clearance with 18's might out weight the minuscule difference in ride quality.

I'm torn. Maybe if steel? Go 17.

If Al? Go 18.

85_Ranger4x4

Don't get weird sizes and you will be fine either way. I would vote 17's. Every base 3/4 ton and 1 ton is rolling on 17's.

My DD has 16's and my toy has 15's, I still have a huge selection of tires new for both rigs... not so much used anymore though.

shrineboy

When I was shopping for new wheels I wanted to stay steel, 17in was big as you go. Unless you have somebody custom build them. And steel is a whole lot less expensive.

dreadlocks

if you keep same rough OD as stock and downsize wheel from 19in car to 17 truck tires, this lets you bump up the PSI a bit the and any extra roll would be hardly noticeable.. 35psi w/flimsy sidewall all season passenger tires on 19's to 55psi heavy sidewall all terrains would make up for it.. I'm presuming he's not running truck tires now, because last I checked there was basically nothing 19in and up wheel size.

But yes, go too big OD tire and you can forget any performance characteristics, in both weight and handling.. if you have 37in tires, yeh kinda knew what yeh were getting into.

This thread would had been better if OP listed his darn vehicle :p

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
What car are we talking about? (No trucks come with 19s.) I'd highly doubt that 17s will clear the brakes.

Edit:
Are you talking about the Acura MDX you posted about a couple of weeks ago? If so, just get stock size ATs in your favorite flavor and call it a day.

shade

Are you talking about the Acura MDX you posted about a couple of weeks ago? If so, just get stock size ATs in your favorite flavor and call it a day.
That's my guess, and my recommendation if that's the case.

Add a shovel, small compressor, and an ARB style deflator. Done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94