16" Wheels on '94 E150?

burleyman

1994 E150 cargo, 5.8L, 355:1, original 15 inch wheels, plain jane dog dish hubcaps.

For greater tire choices, I'm looking online at 5 lug, 16" wheels that research indicates came on around 2004-2006 E150s that seem to match for lug pattern, offset, center hole, and backspacing. I wish to keep the original wheel/hubcap appearance. I've not looked for recycle yard wheels yet. Is this feasible? Do the 15 and 16" hubcaps interchange? Any info would be appreciated.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Dunno about hubcaps but I have 16" wheels from a 2004 E-150 on my 1989 E-150. I have steel wheels but aluminum ones were also made. My centercaps (original to 16" wheels) snap onto the lugnuts so I had to change lugnuts and my lug wrench too.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
OE 2004 Centercap front and rear

Attachments

• RESTOFKREATIVECENTERS069.jpg
    RESTOFKREATIVECENTERS069.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 2
  • RESTOFKREATIVECENTERS070.jpg
    RESTOFKREATIVECENTERS070.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 2

WVI

Adventurer
I've not seen 5lug 16" rim's for the Van's. I always thought all the 5 lug trims were 15".
I wonder what the pattern size is?!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I've not seen 5lug 16" rim's for the Van's. I always thought all the 5 lug trims were 15".
I wonder what the pattern size is?!

Burleyman found them while searching on his own. I have them physically installed on my van. Odds are, they DO exist.

The lug pattern is traditional Ford F100, F150, Bronco, E100, E150, etc: 5 x 5.5". It's the same as traditional Dodge half-ton stuff but the Ford center bore is usually larger.

The only other larger Ford wheel I know of is the 17" from 1st Gen Lightning trucks.

Dodge also had 16 and 17" wheels in the same bolt pattern but again, the bore size is an issue. Aluminum wheels could be milled but the steel Dodge 17s I measured would get very thin and/or lose their shoulder completely before the Ford hub would pass through them. I would prefer milling wheels over rotors and drums for easier replacement of wear parts.

burleyman

Thanks Mwilliamshs, just the info I needed, especially the pictures. I might could handle that look.

I tried an older 16" steel rim from my stash with the right everything, except it was blocked by the disc brake caliper.

Online sizing help. Must convert metric to inches.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Yeah some OLD Fords had the same bolt pattern in a 16" wheel. 1940s stuff, for example. Not only would those solid wheels hinder brake cooling but I wouldn't trust them under the heavy weight and magnified brake force of my van either. I've seen an old, factory riveted wheel from a 6 cylinder, drum brake truck shear the rivets and twist the rim under hard braking on a disc-brake diesel truck.

I have an '04 E150 with 16" factory steel wheels, but the van came with factory wheel covers. The bolt pattern is the same as older ford 1/2 ton vans, trucks, etc as has already been stated.
One thing I will mention on the tires, is that the stock size for the 04 is a 235/70/16. I upsized to LT245/75/16 cooper AT3's and definely rub on the sway bar at full lock both ways. still have the the stock front coils (at some point I will but putting in cc880 coils, but other things keep taking priority). Just something to pass along for stock wheels and oversized tires, stock front suspension.

With wheel covers:
IMG_0015.JPG

I lost one wheel cover after tire rotation earlier this summer and liked the look of the steel wheels better anyway, so I took the rest off for a family trip and have left them off.

IMG_3059_med.jpg

WVI

Adventurer
Man!
I have a old utility trailer that needs rim's and tires.
I've been thinking about turnig it into a camp trailer.
The rim's on it are 15" 5x5.5.
If I could find s set of those E150 rims, I'd be set! 16s are on my van now.
I haven't even been able to find an old set of Dodge trims for it anywhere around here..

Raul

Adventurer
I haven't even been able to find an old set of Dodge trims for it anywhere around here..
Careful the OEM Dodge or old Jeep rims have a smaller center bore. Unless you machine them you will to be able to use them. Aftermarket usually have a larger bore and rely on acorn nuts for centering so they are not an issue. I learned the hard way.

WVI

Adventurer
Il prolly go with 15" rims. Summit has them at a decent price.
They will be on a small trailer axle. I'll have to check the center hole size. The old rims look to be old trk rims..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz