'16 Tacoma Build & Adventure Thread

DesertFZJ80

Observer
So this all started by looking online at the new Tacoma's, about a week went by and the decision was made to try and find one.

My dad and I went to the local Toyota dealer and I test drove an SR5 with the v6 and auto trans, while it wasn't the options I was looking for it gave me a good feel for the truck and I got to experience the power of the v6. I discussed ordering one with the sales guys inside and they assured me that there was absolutely no TRD Off-Road 4x4's in Arizona, they had done an inventory check and it showed none in 'their system'.

It would be a three month wait if I was going to order one so I went home and decided to check out of state and a few other dealers in town. To my surprise a dealer in Phoenix had posted two TRD Off-road 4x4's on their website, both blue in color. My goal was to have one in white with the 6 speed manual trans, but I could settle for blue to not have to wait three months.
I call in and they confirm two blue Tacoma's meeting my specs that they will pull out for me to test drive, on they way over there I get a text saying "It turns out the one you're looking at is white" :drool:

We pull up at the dealer and both tacoma's are parked in the front lot, the blue one someone had just claimed and was starting their paperwork.
Walked over to the white one to find out that it's a 6 speed manual TRD Off-Road 4x4 with 2 miles on it, fresh off the transport! :sombrero:

For those of you that don't know the manual TRD-OR 4x4 does not come with crawl control or any of those features, but has a-trac, rear locker, clutch start cancel etc. Anyways, onto the good stuff. I'll keep this thread pic heavy just like the 80 series build!

3rdgentaco9.jpg

Test drove it around the block and did the paperwork!

Didn't take long for the mods to start, I was on a waiting list for my bed bars and ditch light brackets to be made at Relentless Fab, while waiting for those I had my Hankooks moved from my 2nd gen to the new truck and bought a matching spare.

3rdgentaco2.jpg

3rdgen1.jpg

About a month went by and my parts started to show up, box from Relentless Fab followed by two dually flood LED pods from Rigid Industries

3rdgentaco3.jpg

3rdgentaco.jpg

Got a Tepui RTT for X-mas and finally found the time to install it. Went to Flagstaff, AZ for an overnight with some friends and really got a feel for the truck, at this point it had around 2300 miles on the odo.

3rdgentaco4.jpg

3rdgen2.jpg

3rdgen3.jpg

That was my first time sleeping in a Rooftop Tent and what a difference, totally worth it!

3rdgentaco6.jpg

3rdgentaco8.jpg

3rdgentaco5.jpg

The next morning we cooked some breakfast and did some target shooting with the .22, explored the cinders some more and decided to roll through Sedona for some scenery and to go to Broken Arrow/ Schnebly Hill.

*Edit* This is not my normal average, this was the drive through Sedona which is all downhill
3rdgen6.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Schnebly Hill but I was cool to stretch the trucks legs and see what it could do, did broken arrow easily as well.

3rdgen4.jpg

3rdgen7.jpg

3rdgentaco7.jpg

3rdgen5.jpg

That's as recent as it gets, almost three months with the truck now and I'm super happy with it. Next up is sliders and a front skid once I decide which ones to go with. I'm currently planning a week long trip from AZ to Moab and into Colorado, camping the entire time and exploring with the Tacoma.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
Sweet new truck. The new Tacomas are making me second guess keeping my 100 series till I die.

1BigJimmy

I have a 2013 Tacoma, V6, 6-Spd, I certainly am not getting 34. Is there that big a difference in gas mileage from '13 to '16 model years?

forty2

Adventurer
Lol at the moderate trolling. Just beyond believable is the way to do it. I obviously went too far when I tried it:

5RS6xM8h.jpg

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I got a set of sliders from White Knuckle Offroad, they are great. They fit with my Pelfreybilt skids perfectly.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
That's what I was wondering too

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

My fault for not clarifying, that was going from Flagstaff to Sedona, which is all down hill lol. I average 19 in the city going to work and between 16-18 on highway. I got it to 34mpg between 4th and 5th gear cruising through Sedona.

Bobbyb0322

That makes more sense. I get about the same in mine. Flat interstate at 70 I can get 21. Average about 18.

Great looking truck by the way. I had a tough time finding what I wanted. Seems like the TRD ORs move quick.

NitroExpress

Observer
That's exactly the truck I want. That exact combination seems to be a unicorn around me. I guess Gulf States Toyota does not want me to have one, which is probably OK for now, since I haven't had my Tundra long.

DesertFZJ80

Observer
That's exactly the truck I want. That exact combination seems to be a unicorn around me. I guess Gulf States Toyota does not want me to have one, which is probably OK for now, since I haven't had my Tundra long.

Yeah been reading on different forums about people having to hunt them down in other states and struggling to order them, I feel like I found gold with this one for sure.
Have a friend that has a '15 Tundra TRD 4x4, probably one of the most comfortable trucks I've driven!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Off to the Grand Canyon on Friday morning for an overnight camping trip, are there any trails that anyone can point me towards that allow camping? Trying to stay away from camp grounds and stick to the wild, taking my Tacoma and my dad is taking his 2nd gen. If I can't find anything we might just bring the kayak and go to Lake Powell since its only a few hours further north. I've heard there's some good camping on the rim so I'll start my research!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Nice find!
Any suspension upgrade in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually I'll probably go with Icon's stage II kit, with that will come Methods and a larger tire. For the time being I'm happy with the Bilsteins and they will see many more miles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior