$16 Chuck Box

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Here is my first attempt at a chuck box. I tested it last month n my week long moab trip and it worked flawlessly. It cost me $16, took from 9pm-3am (that included a quick wal-mart run) and a cold 6 pack. I was really suprised at how it turned out and even more suprised that it worked as well as it did.

I basically just got out all my cooking gear and started building around it. Pretty much an eyeball job, with a staple gun, circular saw, drill and basic knowledge anyone could do it. I even impressed my brother! (if you knew my brother the woodshop genius, you would be psyched too lol)

And now some pics:

Here it is closed. We had to sticker it up ofcourse.
P1010201.jpg

Opened up with everything in place. It holds: propane stove, 3 propane cans, plates, mugs, plastic forks and knives, pots, pans, towels, soap, scrubber, salt, pepper, tabasco's, random seasonings, chefs headlamp, etc.
P1010202.jpg

The top is just the right size to hold the stove and propane and sets it at just the right height when put on a camp table. With it open, all of the coking supplies are readily available and strapped in with bungees.
P1010203.jpg

In the future i would like to add a false top that hinges from the sides and would fold out to rest on the open doors. This would provide a little bit of "counter space" if you will lol.

So what do you think?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
i used a sheet of 1/2 inch cheapo plywood. i would have liked to use something of a higher grade but as a college student i tend to take the cheap way, regardless it works lol.
loaded i would estimate it to weigh about 35lbs or so. its also somewhat awkward to carry because of its size, its definately doable by 1 person but is easier with 2.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Very cool!! I might have to build one of those. Not only to be more organized w/ my camp kitchen gear, but also to have a place to put stickers like you did. Thanks for sharing the photos.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Thanks for all the kind words guys, like i said its fairly simple to built. What i would recommend is to do what i did and build the entire box (4 sides, top, bottom) then take your circular saw and cut the front off, then in half to make the doors. That way you know that the doors will be the exact same dimensions as the box.

if you have any questions, let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles