1500 AWD EXPRESS DREAM AND BUILD

akskiffer

I STARTED THINKING ABOUT A CAMPERVAN AGAIN. Kids do not really want to go car camping with the folks nowadays. We had a '79 Westie before parenthood then an '86 syncro gl vanagon with a California conversion pop top. Sprinters and the volume within got me jazzed on the idea of a camper build. I began to quail though with the idea of using my roof for breakin' the trail in the tree canopy over secondary USFS roads, rather like trails with about no maintenance once the logging is over. the modern diesels seem like maintenance trouble with the sensors and spendy filters. The 4x4 Mercedes van idea too impractical and I'd never forgive myself for the inevitable scratches on a new rig.
I knew about awd astros but didn't want a minivan; I have too much gear nowadays. I wanted the space, payload, power, parts availability, reliability ,towing capability and safety features of an American AWD.
the Expo was the clear choice. Stabilitrak was standard starting in '09 and became a requirement if it could keep me and a big van out of trouble.
Bought a 2009 Chevy 1500 AWD express dual fuel passenger LT in September.
Passenger LT has it over the cargo models. I like the windows. Driver side cargo doors seemed neat but would suck up wall space for a camper build.
I wanted a bed in back and to be able to reach my stove from the bed to utilize the stovetop espresso pot as a snooze alarm. It worked so well back in the westie days.00202_2c9TlGmwfyF_600x450.jpg00M0M_6HQAfGLy3cH_600x450.jpg

The dealer had put these chevy 18" mags on with wrangler sr a 265/65 rubber.

I had my work laid out for me.

Thanks,
Tod
'09 express 1500 H1(awd) LT

akskiffer

A bent and broken rear shock was discovered with bump stops disintegrating. Replaced with Gabriel Max-control rear shocks. Spare hanger cable a fraying mess with broken off hanger zipped to chassis is now held together with a Crosby clip and the cable wrapped and frapped. .IMG_3011.JPG
I removed the rear benches and gutted the interior panels and rear headliner. Keeping the airbags, I have began polyiso insulation, r6.6/inch, in the overhead and sides.
IMG_2968.JPGIMG_2961.JPGinsul.JPG
Thanks,
Tod
'09 express 1500 H1(awd) LT

Attachments

• vanright.jpg
    vanright.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 113

akskiffer

Instant results from the insulation! I cut reflectix panels for the windows as well
I used Loctite foam board adhesive for the foil faced insulation instead of the contact cement I have seen others using. expanding foam is holding the insulation in place. I have some failures in the overhead arches; lost 1/4" head space.
I would like to get the rails out of the floor before I sound, heat insulate and cover it; PITA! I removed the nuts from all of the driver side seat rail and can pry up on the rear but it remains stuck.
any readers out there have luck removing these?

Len.Barron

Observer
unless you got under your rig and removed some sections of the exhaust heat shield you don't have all the fasteners removed

akskiffer

unless you got under your rig and removed some sections of the exhaust heat shield you don't have all the fasteners removed
len, no shield on the drivers side, the bolts are just athwart of the frame. The nuts have been removed. Are the rails sealed or glued, to avoid CO infiltration?

fire_strom

Adventurer
I don't remember any challenges getting the seat rails out once I removed the nuts from underneath. I only did the back section though, I left the front in to hold the first row. That was on a 2013.
-G

45Kevin

Adventurer
len, no shield on the drivers side, the bolts are just athwart of the frame. The nuts have been removed. Are the rails sealed or glued, to avoid CO infiltration?

I think you do not have all the nuts removed.
IIR, there was one quite far forward, like almost under the driver's seat that was hidden by a body mount or something.
It certainly is a PITA though.

akskiffer

I think you do not have all the nuts removed.
IIR, there was one quite far forward, like almost under the driver's seat that was hidden by a body mount or something.
It certainly is a PITA though.
thanks 45KEVIN.
CHRISTMAS IS PAST RAIN HAS STOPPED FOR NOW. I'M GOING BACK UNDER THE VAN

akskiffer

INVERTER AND CHARGE CONTROLLER ARE IN! CAMPING BATTERY APPEARS TO BE ON ITS LAST LEGS. ;( WONDERING IF I SHOULD INVEST IN A TILTING PV MOUNT INSTEAD OF "Z" BRACKET FLAT MOUNT.)
MY FLUKE METER AND THE RENOGY ROVER DO NOT AGREE ON VOLTS (DOUBLE DARN)

akskiffer

I found the last hidden bolt and still a metal strap extending from the front had to be cut. 11 nuts and the strap.
FINALLY OUT driver side only.railout.JPG

trimmed about 100# from the payload.

akskiffer

I spent too much time in the woodshop building my wanigan. It came out allrightwani shut.JPGwan open.JPG
My idea is for a removable kitchen. In the Westie days we cooked then ate and hung out inside when outside weather was fine. We will be able to dismount and cook from exterior locations. The bottom compartment holds my widest, propane, or thickest, gas, coleman stove and has hinged leaves for workspace. Needs steel wool and oiling.
Now I need to work on the floor so the "furniture" can be installed.

akskiffer

the Funmobile
got my : lucas power steering leak stop
new uncloudy r headlamp assy
front fox shocks n spendy brake pads
turned rotors (make braking so! smooth)
2/3 cranked torsion bars-7/8"lift
key fobs
remote start to warm up the 5.3
floor filled with aircore and covered .5" polyiso
thin wood floor -stained
wannigan in
solar panel gathering ~20 ah per day
Ran wires through body channels from camping battery
maxxfan blows my mind and what hair is left
added cig lighter outlets to channels in rear
cig lighter led maplights for indirect, reading, better, not bothering my lady's eyes or brain with the cheap RGB strip lights, etc lighting
Sumo Spring rear bumpstops
bright led worklights from northern freight installed in the top of the rear plastic arch are aimable to rear and sides
groovy ancient Bokhara rug

We camped for the dead show at the Gorge. With the awning it kicked ass in blazing sun, wind and rain

gotta go work on the van...

akskiffer

been buisy with the funmobile:
lucas power steering leak stop
new non clouded R headlight assy
front shocks, turned rotors and spendy brake pads
7/8" crank to t bars
key fobs
remote stare to warm the 5.3
kilmat sound insulation in some doors, floor and tire wells really works
filled floor channels with air core and covered with .5" poly iso
Thin ply flooris stained
~20 ah a day from solar
wannigan installed
wired cig outlets in rear body channels from camping battery
cig outlet led maplights for indirect, map, work, non RGB led strip etc lighting
Sumo Spring rear bumpstops
Maxxfan is good
led worklights on black rear arch aimable to sides or rear
heavy vinyl floor at back doors

the awning kicks ass in sun, wind, rain.
incognito works well. folks don't notice us in there partying

Gotta go work on the van...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior