$1400 Canon: What do you think?

TICAN

I'm on the fence on the new camera, currently have a film SLR & want to move to D-SLR. I can get a cheaper ($579) 6mp Nikon. Or pull out all the stops with the new Canon 50D 15mp, 6.3 fps. It will be in the FJ all the time when off roading & slightly worried about damage, I know there built fairly tough, but not sure what one to get. What do you think? BTW: I can get the Canon in my hands today for $37.00 per month, financed, but I can pay on the principal. Just looking for some thoughts & ideas to push me one way or the other. Tanx.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I went with a Canon Rebel XT for $400. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a camera and then be afraid to lose or damage it. I figure a camera isn't much good if you're afraid to take it with you. I can deal with losing $400, but over $1000, not cool.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I've got the 50D with a Tamron 18-270 lens. I love it. I have a trip/adventure report in-progess on the site, with tons of pictures from that camera interspersed with pics from a Nikon D300..

It's here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28546

I kept the camera next to my seat the entire trip, resting on the emergency brake lever, and wiped it down with a damp microfiber after a couple of really dusty days. Yesterday I finally picked up a good case for it that still fits in that spot:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Toploader-75-AW,2058,8.htm

I think the 50D is a great camera.

John

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
X2 on the 50D. I got one about 6 months ago and really like it. :victory: I'm still learning but you can see some the pictures I have taken at:

bgarland.smugmug.com

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
You might be able to save some money and go with the Rebel T1 which would also give you HD video capabilities. But make sure you hold both of them in your hand before making the decision.

One thing I hate about the Rebel is the small frame its housed in. After using the 1D series of cameras from Canon for so long, I cant go back to these small framed cameras

Another option if you're worried about hurting the camera (You shouldnt worry about this too much) is Camera Armor. Its basically a big, thick rubber housing that goes around the body to protect it from any bumps or dings that might happen from being in the passenger seat of your truck.

Not really sure what type of travel your doing that the thing is going to get hurt from sitting in your truck though. We've traveled for 3 years straight with a second mortage payment sitting either on the passenger seat, banging around the floor boards or sitting in the back seat beside our two dogs and we've yet to have any trouble with any of our gear. So worrying about that should be the least of your worries.

575135906_QSpc8-L-2.jpg

Another option is to look on POTN and check out their sell forum. I've bought almost all out gear off of there and you'll save a ton of coin by snatching up someone elses used gear rather than buy new.

Buying camera equipment these days is almost like buying computer equipment. Your gear will be outdated within a few months time and you'll be kicking yourself for paying top dollar

Good luck, and take lots of pictures

scarysharkface

Explorer
+1 on seeing what fits in your hands before buying.

I was all set on picking up either a D300 or D90 for myself, and hadn't even considered Canon due to the $$$. I've always shot Canon, and have an F1n {with motor} paperweight.. I didn't like how the D90 or Rebels fit my hand, and was ambivalent about the D300 menuing and ergos. A salesguy handed me an EOS 40D and that was the end of it. It fit. I tried the 50D and found the menus to be intuitive (to me, at least) and the ergos very good. I found a new USA 50D with warranty, etc., NIB on ebay for $1150 with the kit 28-135 lens (which I traded for the Tamron 18-270).. Everytime I pickup a D90 or Rebel I am reminded of what a fine machine the 50D is, and everytime I pickup a D300 I am reminded that I find it a confusing camera (for me) to operate..

Of course, if you are comfortable with a smaller body, either the D90 or the new Canon Rebel with the HD capabilities will make some very lovely images with very little work...

John

salsataco

Adventurer
XXD Canon bodies are great! However, I would not want to be financing one. Pick up a lightly used 20d-30D-40D for anywhere between 300 and 800 bucks and be very happy with it. Take the rest and put it towards some nice lenses!

TICAN

Thanks, Decision confirmed

Thanks for the input. It only confirms my decision. I originally went to "Best Buy" to check out the new Nikon, don't remember the model #, after reading a little about it in a mag. I just did not like the way it felt or how the shutter button worked. That's when I looked over & saw the Cannon it felt very different, (hard to believe, you would think a camera is a camera). The 6.3 fps, & the layout through the view finder was what sold me. I go off road at least every weekend & sometimes during the week as well, depending on work schedule, here in Pa. where I'm at there are plenty of old fire roads, quad trails, that sort of thing on Water Co. land. as well as Rausch Creek ORP, where I'm headed to 7-9,10,11-09 for a good size FJ meet. I have a Minolta SLR with 6 lens', no nothing will fit the D-SLR's, first thing I looked into, I guess that's by design to make you buy all new lens'. I don't even think Minolta makes a D-SLR, someone told me they were bought out by Sony or some other Co.. Hey! Thanks again for the help, now I just have to talk the wife around $1400. Wish me luck with that:yikes::yikes::yikes:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Look at Sony

Believe that modern Sonys, which are very nice, will take your Minolta lenses.

Found this quote on the 'net:

"All AF (precisely: Minolta A mount) lenses from Minolta, KonicaMinolta and Sony work on Sony Alpha DSLRs (and, of course, on the Minolta 7D and 5D, too). Minolta MC/MD (precisely: Minolta SR mount) lenses do not work on these cameras directly."

Sony makes most of Nikon's sensors and is making a MAJOR effort in the camera business. Doesn't mean you will like their stuff, but don't dismiss them out of hand if you have some nice Minolta glass. Besides, the new Sony glass is made by Zeiss.

Last edited:

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Just a few insights:

When making your purchase and decision, don't ask yourself "which camera?", but rather ask yourself "which lens system?"

A body stays with you a couple of years, a lens stays with you a couple of decades...

put the best glass you can afford on the camera

TICAN

Thanks, Again....

Two very good points from mauricio 28 & roktoys84. If you stay brand loyal,( & I'm sure most do), the Lens' are the most important thing. That is what shifted me to the Canon, the feel in my hands. I first went to the store only thinking Nikon. When I picked it up it just did not feel right for some reason. Then I picked up the Canon & liked it right away, then I read the stats. on it & liked it even more. So, thanks again & wish me luck with the wheel'in/ deal'in with the wife. She's being a real stick on this one, but I'm working on it. I'll post up when I have a break thru. Tican

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles