12v Power - Batteries and Inverters

CGS

Observer
For the last few years I have been using a 4D industrial battery as a "generator" for camping, tailgating, etc. The 4D is a little heavy but if you are camping in or from a vehicle or don't have to carry it too far it's not too bad. I've been using a 500 watt inverter and that has been plenty enough for what I need. The tailgating setup usually consisted of a TV and some fans. The invert er also had the USB port for phone charging. The biggest current draw was the fan but I still had plenty of juice for a full day easily.

Most recently I used this same setup at Overland Expo East even though I could have charged most of my stuff in the truck, I didn't have to take any chances of killing a battery. My truck is still on a single starting battery. I used it to charge phones, a spot light, DSLR battery, and power some 12v landscaping lights that I used for campsite lighting. I ran that setup from Thursday night until Monday morning with no issues and minimal draw. The guys next to me managed to run down both batteries on diesel (Ford 7.3) and I still had plenty of juice to give them a jump. I didn't have it at the time, but I now also have a 12v fridge/freezer that I can use with this battery.

The 4D that I have is not a deep cycle, but I get a great deal on these as they are one year old. They are on the heavy side at 100 pounds, but I can still manage it alone even though a second set of hands are always welcome. One thing that is great about the setup is that if you don't have to recharge, it is dead silent. Not spoiling the quietness of the outdoors for your self and others is definitely worth a lot.

Right now, SAMs Club is running a special on their Sportsman 1000 inverter generator for $158 (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/1000w-...-inverter/prod20640113.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2). I can't comment on the quality of the unit, but I don't think anything else is in this price range for an inverter model.. It is 1000 watts peak, 800 continuous. I let the wife know and it looks like Santa is probably going to put one under the tree for me this year. This will be a good supplement to my 4D setup, especially for extended trips as I can use the batteries and then recharge with generator and a battery charger. It is also a sine wave inverter so you can power electronics safely from it. It also has a dedicated 12v outlet to give you other options as well. For you radio enthusiasts out there, you could run you Ham Radio setups directly off of this as it would have more than enough juice to handle a 100w radio, several infact.

The generator is also only around 25-30 pounds so its a lot more portable than the battery setup. Now I can chose which one I want depending on my needs, or both if the situation calls for it. Just thought I would pass that info along to anyone in case your were thinking of a battery setup or light duty generator. I get a great deal on the 4D, but if I were to buy one full price I might go with something lighter like a Group 31 or even 27 which should provide good power with the right energy management with reduced weight.

CGS

Observer
This is just what I need to charge the trolling batteries on the boat.

Yeah it should work great for that. I will probably bring ours on the boat when we decided to go island camping. Lot easier to load a 25# generator in and out of the boat and haul through sand than a 100# battery.

huachuca

Adventurer
Great price and decent specs from the info I found. Were you able to find this? All the Sam's Clubs I checked in my area showed 'not available at this club'.

CGS

Observer
Great price and decent specs from the info I found. Were you able to find this? All the Sam's Clubs I checked in my area showed 'not available at this club'.

Well dang. They must have sold out. The price was still available yesterday when I posted the link but it's gone now. For that price I was willing to buy to see if it will fit my needs because it wouldn't be much of a loss if it didn't.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So are you charging the big battery at home and bring it on trips and then replacing it on the charger?

CGS

Observer
I've been charging the big battery at home. If I take it tailgating or on a trip, it is fully charged before we leave. I have not had to charge the battery yet because I haven't had enough load for a long enough time. It was plenty enough without recharging for what I used it for at Overland Expo and still had enough juice to jump start a diesel.

CGS

Observer
Home Depot has this generator for $158 as well now. Santa brought mine yesterday and I gave it a quick use today with mild loads and it seems to work really well. I used it to charge some 12v batteries but the smart charger was only drawing about 100 watts since they were all nearly fully charged.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Home Depot has this generator for $158 as well now. Santa brought mine yesterday and I gave it a quick use today with mild loads and it seems to work really well. I used it to charge some 12v batteries but the smart charger was only drawing about 100 watts since they were all nearly fully charged.

Have a link to it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles