12v plug & socket

john61ct

Adventurer
aka BMW, Powerlet, Hella or Merit plug

much more solid than stick ciggie type

still pretty limited as to current, maybe a true 10A continuous?

john61ct

Adventurer
Hundreds of companies may use this plug type.

The list I gave are the names they are commonly referenced as, in various places around the world

more commonly than by the ISO number.

Florida Native

Hundreds of companies may use this plug type.

The list I gave are the names they are commonly referenced as, in various places around the world

more commonly than by the ISO number.
Yep. I just mentioned JD as years ago when I had BMW motorcycles, it was easier and cheaper to source the John Deere parts versus BMW. At least in the USA. Not sure if that's still the case.

-Mike

rkfoote

I've used these: https://www.amazon.com/CNLINKO-Industrial-Connector-Receptacles-Waterproof/dp/B06XFMQHWM
They are not 'standard', but if you're using all your own equipment you're good.
1/4 turn twist lock, 20 amp rating, and you can get with various terminal counts. (I'm using a 4-pin to connect to my solar controller, 2 pins battery, 2 pins to solar).
You could build adapters if you need (i.e. 2 pin CNLINKO to Anderson or Cig if needed to interoperate with others)

john61ct

Adventurer
20A ain't that much.

Anderson PowerPole are a good standard, many people overestimate the need for "waterproofing"

Deutsch DT / DTP is my go-to when I really want that.

mattpayne11

Thanks everyone that explained which connector that was I was asking about - I found an adaptor on Amazon and it works great! It helped me discover that it was directly wired to my 2nd battery and I can use it while my car is shut off. Now I need to get solar set-up to the battery under my hood. =)
P.S. Literally every auto parts store in town had never heard of this connection type before. Crazy.

AdAstra

These crimpers (PWRcrimp, TRIcrimp, Compass Marine, etc.) I believe are sourced through CMI (https://cmi-mkt.com), which is the intermediary in Taiwan representing various factories in Taiwan and China. So, sure, it's possible and maybe probable they are not exactly identical but it appears to me the design variants are superficial and the quality will of course depend perhaps on customer requirements. I very much doubt any of them are truly custom or proprietary designs to any one company, not at the price and volume they're selling them.

The Anderson tools (such as their p/n 1309G2 for PP15/30 and 1309G3 for PP45) do not appear to be made by CMI, at least utilizing the same frame design. For one I believe from import documentation that the Anderson tool is manufactured in China (presumably by the contractor Ideal uses, since Anderson is owned by them) and not apparently Taiwan (or at least through a Taiwanese company) like the CMI tools. Also they just don't look the same and the way the crimp pressure is adjusted is different.

I believe the official Anderson tool is made by Sargent. It appears to be this tool with custom dies: https://www.sargenttools.com/ToolsByTrade/Multi_Size_Copper_Power_Compression_Lug_Crimp_Tool/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles