12v or 115v air compressor ?

cameronsturgess

We are in the middle of a Fuso based truck build which will be used for getting to remote beaches where we would hope to Kiteboard and SUP. this means we will need to air down the tires and air back up as well as pump. up kites and SUP. given we have a 3000 watt inverter we could use standard 115V air compressors. something like https://www.amazon.com/California-A...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

interested in if there are downsides to using 115v vs a 12V ARB compressor.. thanks for input

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Personally, I believe that there are more AC options and that you get more for your money than you would for an equivilant air output DC model.
The compressor you linked to seems a bit small, @ 1.6 CFM. That amount of airflow will take a long time to inflate 4 tyres.
Maybe you could look for a workshop style, direct drive compressor, which would probably be more appropriate for the task. The size/capacity of the compressor really comes down to how much space you have to store/install it.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
ARB twin compressor 12v air compressors are fantastic. Have one in my Jeep, and airing up the 35" tires doesn't take long. Paid 500 bucks for mine at the Expo West show a few years ago, came with a flexible 20' air hose as part of the deal. Our Saurer 6dm has air brakes, and an outlet and factory hose to air up tires. Takes forever.

steve66

Observer
That Puma compressor looks identical to the Boss PX-07 we have here in Oz, they work a treat and will run on 24v as well, if you use a remote mounted tank(s) they take up very little room.

Cheers steve

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I started with a 240V compressor in the OKA for financial reasons. 10 years ago I changed to a Boss PX-07 to reduce weight and space. It does not have the output of the 240V compressor but it is good and has been totally reliable after lots of use on 305/70R19.5 tyres for 10 years.
Cheers,
Peter

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
When cheap China made compressors fail there are no parts so you might want to buy 2.

Like the Viair that is made in China? Like every other compressor that is also made in China? Who buys parts for a 12v compressor? Who actually has one fail?

Alloy

Like the Viair that is made in China? Like every other compressor that is also made in China? Who buys parts for a 12v compressor? Who actually has one fail?

I've had capacitors fail and a dump valve fail on 110V compressors. We did a temp fix with screwdriver on the dump valve but when the capacitors failed it was a drive out to re-fill the tires so we could tow.

We run two 400C Viair now.

dietert

I have an ARB twin compressor 12V. When I bought this compressor it was at a price higher than most. I expected it to pump up the 285 70 19.5 Toyos with ease. It has done this reasonably well, given I was naive as to how much it actually takes to pump tyres like this back up from 50psi to 85. It performed well last year when we tripped north to Cape York. Used it often enough with no issues. Read the operating manual, released pressure from the little air tank, etc, blah, blah blah. Didn’t need it for the next 8-10 months and when I went to use it this year, it would just cycle on and off. After much frustration I found the ‘L’ shaped couplings to the air tank had corrosion inside almost closing off the passage of air.

Don’t understand why ARB has a premium compressor with nice stainless braided hoses being let down by a cheap steel part. I mean for a little more the piece should be stainless, brass or other allow.

Anyway, Arb replaced it all under warranty and all is good. But I am looking to replace those parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles