12V Jump Start Packs?

Bravo30

im looking to get a jump pack that i can use for both of my vehicles. I have a 2013 Sprinter Van with 6 litre diesel and a 2015 G550 with a 5 litre V8. Ive read good things about the Noco units and if i were to go with them im not sure which model to get, the 1000 amp or the 1500 amp. ive watched a few videos where the 1000 amp had trouble starting a V8 and ive also watched and read dozens of other videos and posts were it worked fine.

thoughts? feel free to recommend any other units as well.

https://no.co/gb40 (1,000 amp)

https://no.co/gb50 (1,500 amp)

image uploading site

1,500 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
The GB50 is an ultra-portable, lightweight and compact lithium-ion jump starter for 12-volt batteries. With it, you can safely jump start a dead battery in seconds - up to 30 times on a single charge. The Boost XL is safe for anyone to use, featuring spark-proof technology, as well as reverse polarity protection. The GB50 lithium jump starter integrates with a high-output 200 lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, holds its charge for up to one year and features a USB battery pack for recharging personal devices on the go - up to 6 smartphone recharges. Hot and Cold LED indicators of the internal battery determine when your Boost is outside operating temperatures to help protect your batteries and devices. It's rated at 1,500 Amps, and suitable for use on gasoline engines up to 7 liters and up to 4.5 liter diesel engines, such as a car, van, boat, SUV, truck and more. Included with the GB50, the new HD Precision Boost Battery Clamps easily connect to any 12V lead-acid battery from lawn mowers to trucks, USB charging cable, microfiber storage bag, our 1-year hassle-free limited warranty, and free lifetime customer support.
  • Compact, yet powerful lithium jump starter rated at 1,500 amps up to 30 jump starts on a single charge
  • Spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection.
  • An ultra-safe and mistake-proof design with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection, which allows it to safely connect to any battery.
  • An ultra-bright 200 lumen LED flashlight with 7 light modes including SOS and emergency strobe.
  • Recharge your personal devices on the go, like smartphones, tablets, e-watches and more - up to 6 smartphone recharges.
  • Designed for gas engines up to 7 liters and diesel engines up to 4.5 liters for small diesel cars, SUVs, boats, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles and more.
  • New Feature: Hot and Cold LED indicators of the internal battery operating temperatures to protect your batteries and devices.
  • New Accessory: Includes HD Precision Boost Battery Clamps designed to easily connect to any 12V lead-acid battery from powersports to trucks.
  • WARNING: California’s Proposition 65

1,000 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

The GB40 is a portable lithium-ion battery jump starter pack that delivers 1,000-amps (7,000 J3S) for jump starting a dead battery in seconds. It features a patented safety technology that provides spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection making safe and easy for anyone to use. It's a powerful battery booster that doubles as a portable power source for recharging USB devices, like a smartphone, tablet and more. Designed for a car, boat, RV, truck and more with gas engines up to 6 liters, and diesel engines up to 3 liters.
  • A lithium battery jump starter rated at 1,000 Amps (7,000 Joules3S).
  • Spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection.
  • Recharges USB devices, like smartphones, tablets, and more.
  • 100 lumen LED flashlight with multiple modes, including SOS.
  • Jump starts gas engines up to 6 liters, and diesel up to 3 liters.
  • Provides up to 20 jump starts on a single charge.
  • WARNING: California’s Proposition 65

Bravo30

More is always better

thats my though as well. the way i understand it is that these ratings are MAX ratings so lets say the starter only needs to pull 300 amps to start? then it only draws 300 amps. i want to have enough for a worst case scenario, completely dead battery with below zero temps etc etc

Bravo30

they have a 2000 amp model as well but im trying to stay within a certain budget unless it makes sense to go that route with the larger unit, in which case im willing to pay more.

shade

I have a Clore JNC660.

I've used it to start Ford V8s that have been sitting with dead batteries for months, and I use it to power a winch on a car hauler trailer. I've seen them used by shops and tow services. Unlike many jump packs, it has heavy gauge cable and clamps that can handle a sustained load without overheating. I haven't tried it, but I suspect I could run my truck off of the Clore if my start battery had a catastrophic failure.

I think the JNC660 could handle your uses, but Clore makes higher capacity models, too. They also sell replacement parts.

roving1

I have the GB40. I came back from being out of the country for about 6 months. I started out with 50% charge. Two of my vehicles had dead batteries so I jumped both of them. One of the vehicles batteries was totally pooched. So I used it to do parking shuffle duties with no vehicle battery at all for another 4-5 starts before I bought a new battery. At work I had a truck on a lift overnight and forgot it was in accessory all night so I jumped that. We had gotten two medium duty trucks delivered to my work that went flat and it jumped two V8 diesels with huge dual batteries after only being allowed to charge for maybe a minute on each truck. I think there was 30% charge left after that. So far I can't complain.

I see some bad reviews every now and then for the Nocos but I hope it's more a sales volume thing then a real quality problem. Knock on wood.

Mine has exceeded my expectations and still works great after 1 year.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
All these type of battery packs need to be "exercised". This was told to me from Microstart. This is easily accomplished by using the battery pack to charge your cell phone a couple of times to get a drain on the battery then you can charge it back up.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A big part of the limits of these jump packs is the cable, and contact resistance. If you have a weak connection between the pack and battery being boosted, you will have poor performance. Your best bet is dedicated jump terminals. Or for those more serious about it, a 150A anderson powerpole connector.

1573386937361.png

I have found its very difficult to get good contact with the little jumper clamps, especially on a battery terminal/post. Some vehicles have a dedicated jumper ring/clamping area, which can help. I have seen race cars with quick jump terminals like these. Properly installed they could be an option.

1573386913330.png

When its cold lithium (and lead) batteries will not output their peak power. Lithium packs can be warmed by doing a couple of start attempts (just don't drain the pack too far). Small loads like charging a laptop or phone will not warm the pack. For peak current the pack really needs to be 75F or warmer. The nice thing about the lithium packs is you can warm them in 30 minutes inside your coat.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Don't leave them in you vehicle in hot climates either. One I bought at expo here in Az swelled up after a few years under the front seat of my truck. Of course it gets well over 120* inside in the summer.seat

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I don't have Noco jump packs, but I do have three different Noco solar battery maintenance panels. Those just don't work, so I'm not a Noco fan. I have AntiGravity jump packs in two trucks, both 5.7 gassers. The packs usually start the trucks when they won't crank, but I sometimes need to leave the pack connected to the battery for a few minutes to get things going. As previously pointed out, bigger is better (especially with a diesel), so don't skimp. My AntiGravity units ride under the back seat in the Southwest, including southern AZ, and I have recorded interior temps as high as 185F in the cab, no swelling or obvious damage to the packs. I charge the packs a couple times per year just to keep them topped off. I also have a couple of cheaper generic packs from Amazon that seem to work OK.

shade

A big part of the limits of these jump packs is the cable, and contact resistance. If you have a weak connection between the pack and battery being boosted, you will have poor performance. Your best bet is dedicated jump terminals. Or for those more serious about it, a 150A anderson powerpole connector.

View attachment 549318

I have found its very difficult to get good contact with the little jumper clamps, especially on a battery terminal/post. Some vehicles have a dedicated jumper ring/clamping area, which can help. I have seen race cars with quick jump terminals like these. Properly installed they could be an option.

View attachment 549317
That's why I don't care for many of the lithium packs I've seen. Their cable and clamps must be rated for a few seconds of use at high output. With the packs I recommended, the #2 cable and clamps can maintain high loads.

roving1

That's why I don't care for many of the lithium packs I've seen. Their cable and clamps must be rated for a few seconds of use at high output. With the packs I recommended, the #2 cable and clamps can maintain high loads.

At almost 20lbs you might as well just put in another battery though.

At work we have lithium packs, regular battery on a cart with cables and packs like you recommended. Everybody just uses the lithium or the battery and cart because lugging around those style of packs suck. there is no way I would pack one of those full time. Too heavy for what you get IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online