12v Fridges going "Mainstream?"

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Proud owner of a Truckfridge TF-49 (vertical opening) since 2015. Aside from many years of faithful service in our campervan, it's now about 1 week away from also providing a full 1-year of continuous use. When COVID lockdown hit, the van fridge became the overflow for milk, eggs, butter, etc. so that I didn't have to go to the store more than once every couple of weeks. I'm sure my neighbors get a chuckle seeing me wander out to the driveway in my PJs and slippers at 7am to fetch another carton of milk, but it has provided a vital service to us.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Proud owner of a Truckfridge TF-49 (vertical opening) since 2015. Aside from many years of faithful service in our campervan, it's now about 1 week away from also providing a full 1-year of continuous use. When COVID lockdown hit, the van fridge became the overflow for milk, eggs, butter, etc. so that I didn't have to go to the store more than once every couple of weeks. I'm sure my neighbors get a chuckle seeing me wander out to the driveway in my PJs and slippers at 7am to fetch another carton of milk, but it has provided a vital service to us.

I did the same thing with my $75 Engel MT45 that I scored on CL back in July. It's been running ever since in the garage.

old_CWO

That has no meaning as written.

Do you mean it averages 1Ah per day or per hour?

I guess we should assume at 12V?
Yeah, that isn't precise as written; object lesson on not posting after having a G&T. It uses a little less than 1 amp per hour on average.

Of course 12V system, that's what's in common use for these applications. If we were to assume on a 120VAC system it probably wouldn't be on a web forum focused towards vehicle based adventure camping. 24VDC maybe a little less uncommon but still not the norm.

You knew that, no need to be intentionally obtuse.

86scotty

Cynic
I'm sure my neighbors get a chuckle seeing me wander out to the driveway in my PJs and slippers at 7am to fetch another carton of milk, but it has provided a vital service to us.

Lol Herbie, I keep a stocked T130 in my work truck. Since I tend to be home a few days, gone a few days, home a few days I usually walk out to the driveway at least twice on a home day to get something out of the Truckfridge. I would imagine it's pretty hard to surprise my neighbors by now though.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes we now can assume that average consumption at 12V of both

1A

and 1Ah per hour

is what was meant.

It was not at all obvious before.

1A per hour is indeed not correct, confusing.

And members properly understanding units is important, well worth picking nits when required.

That is a **very** low number, unless the delta from ambient is very low.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes we now can assume that average consumption at 12V of both

1A

and 1Ah per hour

is what was meant.

It was not at all obvious before.

1A per hour is indeed not correct, confusing.

And members properly understanding units is important, well worth picking nits when required.

That is a **very** low number, unless the delta from ambient is very low.
My Engel MT45 consumes about 1A-hr/hr set to 1.5 on the ancient dial. That keeps 40°F about in the middle in ambient summer mountain weather, maybe low 90s daytime, upper 40s night time. It consumes 2.1A running, the Sawafuji is reasonably frugal. Was seeing an average of about 1.65 A-hr/hr consumed over a 24 hour period (so around about 75% duty cycle) when we did White Rim in August, day times above 100°F (whilst driving generally, so fridge could very well have been running nearly 100% but didn't register as goesoutta), night time down into the upper 60s, low 70s. So indeed probably 1.5 A-hr/hr is a more reasonable assumption.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
My Engle MT45 is estimated at 15 years old (purchased used) but just keeps chugging along. A factory insulated cover helps. Not as good as it could though, my dog chewed off the zipper when she was a pup.

I do shut mine off at night, about 8 pm to 8 am to save the battery. Sometimes I forget to turn it on in the morning, but my stuff stays pretty cold all day.

TwinStick

Explorer
We have 2 ARB classic fridge/freezers. An 82 & a 50 qt. I purchased them about 2014/15. No regrets. They were not cheap but I got 2 transit bags for free plus free shipping plus. 2 free dash monitors. I like the fact that they will still operate at up to a 30* angle when some only operate at up to a 5* angle. It's like anything else, when they mass produce, prices go down. Big screen TVs are a perfect example. Our 2 have been plugged in since new, either 1 or the other. I clean them out with compressed air every few months.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
And those Engels are indeed wonderfully efficient units.

Seen 16Ah per day myself, but narrower temp deltas
I have seen my ARB 47L/50Qt record less than 10Ah in a 24 hour period, at the moment it is running around 11/12Ah per 24 hours,ARB 47L at 24 hrs @4c Ah.jpg

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I was thinking about getting a fridge, but there are so many to choose from. I have this one in my cart.

Fridge

I’m pretty sure it’s made by alpicool / parent company. I have the cf55 it’s dropped to low $300s it’s worked great and low power consumption.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I’m pretty sure it’s made by alpicool / parent company. I have the cf55 it’s dropped to low $300s it’s worked great and low power consumption.
Yes it is, Over here in the UK they changed the $ sign to a £ sign so it ends up costing about $470 USD.

tango_6

Do they make mounting hardware for the Costway and a blanket? I have the pull out rear cargo so I guess I would mount it to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior