12v Fridges going "Mainstream?"

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Like many of us, I'm sure, I do a lot of my shopping on Amazon.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of bargain priced 12v fridges like this one:

(I laugh at the name "Kalamara" because I either want to say "Kalamata" - like the olive - or "Calamari" - like squid.)

Still, $329 shipped is a hell of a good price on a fridge this size. I paid $500 for a 41 quart TruckFridge in 2014 and another $50 or so to have it shipped.

I'm assuming that all these are made in the same Chinese factories as the likes of Indel-B (which is what mine is), Dometic, etc. Anybody have any experience with one?

Also in our camping group I'm seeing more and more "regular campers" (i.e. not self-identified "Overlanders") with 12v fridges too.

Our TF is running fine after 6 years of heavy use, no thought of replacing it yet, but it's nice to see that availability is going up and prices are going down. Back in 2014 when I got our Truckfridge, Amazon didn't sell anything like it.

EDITED TO ADD: Also seeing nice touches like this one that incorporates a long handle and wheels:

Obviously the wheels wouldn't be much use off road but when going to and from the truck, it would be nice to be able to roll the fridge vs. lugging it like I do now.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
They went mainstream when Truckfridge, Costway, Alpicool, Smittybilt, Stakol came on the scene. Engel, Dometic/Waeco, National Luna and Indel-B weren't all that well known beyond forums like this, at least outside of Australia or South Africa. In the end it's just an insulated box with a compressor. So what differentiates is quality of the components and post sale support.

john61ct

Adventurer
Indel-B is not in any way a cheap Chinese brand, actually Italian, make good stuff, including Truckfridge, Evakool, Isotherm, Vitrifrigo, Tundra, OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth.

Use genuine Danfoss/Secop compressors.

IMO better than Dometic

Nothing beats Engel though

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bought this 15 months ago and am happy with it. Got it during a flash sale and also got a credit by getting an Amazon credit card. Net price I paid was $213.

Reactions: plh

dreadlocks

Back in 2014 when I got our Truckfridge, Amazon didn't sell anything like it.

I just checked my purchase history, I grabbed up my ARB Fridge in 2011 off Amazon..

tho choice has most definitely gone up, at the time it was just ARB and Engel really, and ARB used to just be rebranded Engels and had only been making their own fridges for a few years.. but at $800 to get into the door with a 12VDC fridge it could never be mainstream until prices came down.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Indel-B is not in any way a cheap Chinese brand, actually Italian, make good stuff, including Truckfridge, Evakool, Isotherm, Vitrifrigo, Tundra, OEM for Peterbilt & Kenworth.

Use genuine Danfoss/Secop compressors.

IMO better than Dometic

Nothing beats Engel though

I have an Engel that’s run flawlessly for the 11 years I’ve had it and many years for the previous owner too. I’m guessing it’s been chugging away for 15+ years by now. The only reason the first owner sold it was because it wouldn’t fit his wife’s wine bottles. Before he put it in their Jeep it was in his work truck for an unspecified number of years. Mine stays in my 4Runner and even gets used to carry groceries home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Got my ancient Engel MT45 in 2007 and the only reason I knew about them from Australian 4WD Monthly and Christo Slee stocked them. It was $800 then and they list for north of $1,000 now, which is about the same price with inflation.

dreadlocks

Ive known of em for a long time but I think that's a consequence of owning a VW Bus.. at least since the late 90's ripping out that POS icebox Westfallia put in and installing an Engel has been the pinnacle of VW Bus luxury items, I lusted for an Engel for a very long time before I got one of my own. I cherish it so much I'll likely will it to my favorite kid, maybe the bus too :p

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I just checked my purchase history, I grabbed up my ARB Fridge in 2011 off Amazon..

tho choice has most definitely gone up, at the time it was just ARB and Engel really, and ARB used to just be rebranded Engels and had only been making their own fridges for a few years.. but at $800 to get into the door with a 12VDC fridge it could never be mainstream until prices came down.
Yep, The Blue and Grey Metal/Plastic ARB's came out in 2009, Can't fault mine, it's been chugging away none stop for 4 and a half years now, It still does every thing I ask of it,

There is a lot of camping gear we can do without and save weight and money but a good fridge is a must have item, Adding a Fridge for humans is a bit like adding another fuel tank to the truck, It means we can go away longer without having to restock as often, and when the power goes out at home they are a good backup plan, (y)

old_CWO

I bought one of those 21QT Alpicool fridges from Amazon a few years ago because of a really low flash price on it. At the time I was on the fence about complexity of refrigerator electrical system vs. inconvenience and mess of ice. The low entry fee pushed me over to the fridge. Honestly, the little thing is great. The useful space in it is about the same as my ice chest with ice, but much smaller footprint. It averages less than 1AH even in the desert and holds temperatures pretty well. Sure, it's got a plastic case and the controls are "unrefined" but dog gone if it isn't a great little addition to the arsenal.
If/when it dies and I can't fix it no biggie - it's already been worth the price to me and would probably buy another cheapie to replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94