12v Fridge - Cheap Alternatives?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
These were $500 shipped to your door when I bought mine. They’ll likely outlast your van.

Average 1amp/hour draw. A cheaper fridge that consumes more power will cost more for batteries and solar.

Scotty D

The difference is not nearly that big . Mine uses 65 watts and a bit more when you add in the loss for converting with a pure sign inverter

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It all depends on your needs. A pair of Interstate Golf Cart batteries are $200 usd at Costco. They will get me 4-5 days without changing. If you’d need an extra pair, savings, isn’t a savings, do remember to factor in all costs and long term costs.

Reactions: WVI

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
my tf130 uses about 1 amp per hour over a 24 hour period. I got free shipping on cyber monday. it's not as easy to fit in a van as the smaller fridges but it's NICE having so much room.

Raul

Adventurer
I run a dorm fridge with no solar. Just two house 12v deep cycle batteries charging from the alternator. I don't do long stays in one place so they charge while on the road. It is 4 of us traveling so a good 12v fridge the size I need is more expensive than i can justify.
I've tried to insulate it as much as possible with the goal to be an efficient ice chest, with the added compressor cooling. Extra foam in the back, top, bottom and door. Compressor pushed slightly back to fit insulation. Reflectix on the inside. No insulation on the sides since the heat is dissipated there. I glued some CPU heat sinks to the sides. It runs out of a modified sine-wave inverter. IMG_5713.JPGIMG_5711.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94