12v Compressor fridge at Costco.

maestroX2

Price drops again.. "manufacturer's savings is valid 9/2/20 through 9/7/20. While supplies last. "

I bought Massimo CX30 last time and really serves us well during road trip.

bunger

Adventurer
Nope, just an armchair critic. I think it makes most people assume I'm negative. Not at all, I just think some companies do a really lousy job. If you're looking at a house do you just want 10 pics of the outside?

86scotty, I get what you are saying and agree. Marketing these days has become dumbed down.

These also go by the brand name Alpicool, you can google them for more reviews or references. I've got a smaller version, they're actually pretty nice for the price if you don't have a ton to drop on a Dometic/ARB. The control panel is decent, with MAX and ECO modes, as well as L/M/H settings for battery protection and a USB out plug. I have mine running off a deep cycle isolated 2nd battery with no issues.

Gascan4X4

All chaps, no jeans.
Price drops again.. "manufacturer's savings is valid 9/2/20 through 9/7/20. While supplies last. "

I bought Massimo CX30 last time and really serves us well during road trip.

Damn it! Aaaand also thank you! Didn’t need to buy this but can’t pass up a good deal; just ordered the CX50. Worst case scenario, Costco has a great return policy.

Seeing how it has no strap mounting points, a point of concern for a car camper such as myself, I’m hoping removing the wheels and bolting a couple L brackets into their place will work to secure it to the ol’ Cruiser.

I’ve got a feeling this purchase will take me down the dual battery setup and/or solar panel rabbit hole.

Damn it! Aaaand also thank you! Didn’t need to buy this but can’t pass up a good deal; just ordered the CX50. Worst case scenario, Costco has a great return policy.

Seeing how it has no strap mounting points, a point of concern for a car camper such as myself, I’m hoping removing the wheels and bolting a couple L brackets into their place will work to secure it to the ol’ Cruiser.

I’ve got a feeling this purchase will take me down the dual battery setup and/or solar panel rabbit hole.
There's an area just to the left of the control panel/vent and to the right of the lid that you can run a ratchet strap over to secure it pretty well to the floor.

86scotty

Cynic
Whatever that new fangled style of DC plug is I despise them. I've bought 2 or 3 things with them and they just won't work with certain DC power points. I have cut them off and spliced in old school regular plugs which I have no shortage of. This usually gets me a few more feet of cord too.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Whatever that new fangled style of DC plug is I despise them. I've bought 2 or 3 things with them and they just won't work with certain DC power points. I have cut them off and spliced in old school regular plugs which I have no shortage of. This usually gets me a few more feet of cord too.
All the ones I have seen are removable. I forgot the explanation of their use...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Mine just arrived today. My först impressions...
Btw, turns out my ancient DC Ah meter wont work at 12V. Aside from fridge nameplate at 45W, Presently, I cant give any useful consumption averages.
I bought the 40 liter, $281 delivered. Should have been $259 had I been paying attention and send to my no salestax address...
Anyway, so far I like it. Here goes a bunch of random observations.
Firstly, Its shipped in typical packaging like anything else. Cardboard box with a couple big molded styrofoam inserts.
The fridge itself is all plastic cased. It bears no material codes its hard to know what it is. It feels like a HDPE, but I burnt a few shavings, it does not smell quite right. Regardless, its quite durable and decent resilience. I weigh about 14 stone, would not hesitate sitting on its lid with due care.
Its telescopic handle is Ok, but not robust like my Tumi suitcase for example. Nor is it robustly attached to the case. With due care, it should work fine to trolley the fridge itself, but should be cautious if adding something else carried on top for example. Its wheels & axel appear durable.
Everything electrical is behind six small sheetmetal screws attaching its compressor cover what thread into plastic bosses. Inside contains 15A ATO fuse, compressor, inverter, condensor, fan, etc.
The backside of its bubble menbrane button & LED control panel is raw PCB.
Its control panel appears not the same one as its instruction manual describes. Trying its button sequence, it wont change between F° and C°, or enter programming mode.
On side below the control buttons its 12-24v power is connected to a single inlet. A laptop style universal power ’brick supplies when plugged into mains. A combination cigar/Merit plug on 12’ of 16AWG SPT cable for plugging into a car.
That cigar plug has a unique fold out hook thingy. View attachment 611408
Never seen this kind. Maybe supposed to be fusepuller? But its styrene, I dont think its strong enough. Dunno...

More to come..
Planned modifications.
Attach tiedowns, perhaps footman loops or similar.
Change inlet configuration. I want to have both mains and car power plugged in at the same time. Using a relay as ATS for mains power primary, car power secondary.
Spray conformal on its PCB, perhaps make a guard or cover to protect its membrane buttons.

When I get around to those modifications, I should have some consumption data to share
Stay tuned.
14 stone? I was in Australia and a board shaper asked me how many stone I weighed? Excuse me? They all busted up! Old English I guess.

potfish

I imagine the hook is for when the red piece comes off the end of the plug and is stuck inside the outlet. (But it doesn't look long enough?)

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

The link shows the inside and detailed how many cans of beer, bottles of wine, etc. you could fit.

Qo398NxG_M.jpg

dGgqQ0vo_M.jpg

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

I had a cheaper unrelated version from back in the day, and it was great on road trips where you had to keep food cool. No roller so you had to break your back to haul it inside the motel room to plug it in to an outlet to keep it cool till morning. Then haul the beast back to the ride.

This thing looks pretty good, especially if it can get down below freezing. I am not a COSTCO member, is it available anywhere else for the good guy price? Is there an empty weight somewhere?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles