12v Cigarette plug in back enough for fridge?

dreadlocks

ah, my MT80 don't have that capability it seems.. nor does the OG MT45 (U1), but the new MT45 does.. neat, yeah in that case running it on a ciggy plug is just asking for trouble IMO.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you read the Engle owners book it describes how to set the low voltage feature. I had to look myself.
Depends on which Engel you have. My greater than a decade old MT45 has no low voltage shut off.

The Engels with a digital temperature display have a low voltage cut-off. The old ones with just a dial and no other display (and I would assume ARBs of the similar vintage) do not.

I had a battery fail where the positive terminal had cracked internally and was making intermittent contact with the plates. My fridge was trying to run even at voltages indicated as less than 4V at the fridge outlet. This is not good, so certainly not trying to sell it as a feature...

ZMagic97

Explorer
I used the rear plug in my 04 WJ, dash plug in my JK, and center console plug in my GMT800: all worked perfectly fine.

gfe jeep

Or you could wire in a power inverter to use. It has a shut off so you dont drain your only battery if thats the case. I have a dual battery kit and a 2000 watt power inverter under the passenger seat. I also installed a fuse box behind the glove box for additional power spots for other items - CB, foot well lights, etc

dreadlocks

Inverters will gladly drain your battery to the point of no recovery.. there low voltage cut offs are very low, like 10v.. because a 2k inverter will pull hte voltage waaaay down if you actually put 2k watts on it.

shade

Don't inverters offer about 80% efficiency? If power consumption is already a concern, throwing away 20% of the available power as heat doesn't seem like a good idea.

dreadlocks

easy.. and yeah its dumb as a box of rocks to convert 12VDC to 120VAC back to 12VDC to run a fridge.. especially since you can buy a Solid State Low Voltage Disconnect for like $25 off Amazon if thats what your after.

TacticalBBQ

I am a weekender and run my ARB in just the stock plug in my 2dr. No issues so far. But just for a piece of mind I a man going to run the ARB wiring kit. Just need to find the time to install.

greg.potter

Adventurer
The rear 12vdc outlet in my JK has powered my 50qrt ARB adequately on trips of up to 2 weeks. I am planning on installing drawers/fridge slide and a dedicated circuit and battery for the fridge in the future. I have had the connector come unplugged a couple of times and have gotten into the habit of checking that the fridge is running (LED display active) every time I get out of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles