12V chainsaw

Does anyone make, or has anybody here ever heard of a 12V chainsaw? I am not interested in cordless (don't need the dead battery at the wrong time issue) or gas powered (makes the Jeep smell funny inside). I picture a 12V version wired up with a 20 foot or so cord that plugs into my quick connect winch plug (front or back). If I can't get the rig within 20' of the tree, it's probably not in my way or it's too far to drag in for firewood anyway.

I have searched the 'net and this sight with no luck.

Thank you in advance for any leads you might have!

- Mike

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Nope, doesn't exist. There just isn't a market for it, when you can pick up a decent bow saw that will do just as much for $12 and not have to worry about a cord.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Never seen a 12v, interesting idea. You could get a home electric and a beefy inverter to drive it.

(japanese) pruning pull saws work wicked quick, though. As fast as bow saws and one handed too. And they take a lot less room.

FGD211.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
The 20' cord would weigh and cost a ton - 12v is not meant to go any distance with amperage behind it. The wire between my batteries and inverters is about 2 feet long and 1/0 copper.

Beefy inverter and you can have a nice long cord with a home version electric chainsaw, they're proven performers from big names like Makita.

You might be impressed by a muscle powered fast cut saw like my Silky katanaboy...

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
How big do you need to cut? It would be easy to pick up a battery powered sawzall with a long wood cutting blade. Get a 12V charger for the truck and always keep a battery on it. Not that difficult, and the sawzall could be adapted to a lot of other uses in a pinch with different blades/attachments.

DCS380M1_1_500X500.jpg

DCB119_1_500X500.jpg

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
How big do you need to cut? It would be easy to pick up a battery powered sawzall with a long wood cutting blade. Get a 12V charger for the truck and always keep a battery on it. Not that difficult, and the sawzall could be adapted to a lot of other uses in a pinch with different blades/attachments.

Besides a hatchet, and axe, this is the way I will be going. So convenient, and quite as well.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I just checked out the Lenox site and they make a 12" wood cutting blade. Should be enough to do an 8" or so cut

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Milwauke 12" pruning blade designed for cutting green wood, pack of 5 part number 48-00-1303, about $16

MILWAUKEE-48-00-1303-SAWZALL-RECIPROCATING-SAW-PRUNING-BLADES-CR18DL-BJR182-BJR181.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Hack away at it from a dozen different angles :D Most of the deadfalls I have encountered in my area have been about 10 or less.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I agree, that's why I carry a real saw (18" bar Husqvarna)

But for someone who is chainsaw-averse, it's the next best thing.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I have a hard time picturing any 12V saw being able to accomplish real work. A simple cut here and there, but not clearing debris from a roadway/trail or collecting firewood. My suggestion is to purchase a commercial grade Stihl chainsaw with at least a 20" bar. You'll be able to do serious work with that tool plus it'll last for decades of moderate use with a little routine maintenance. Of course simply owning the tool doesn't make you an expert, so seek professional saw training and purchase the proper PPE. In my 20 years of running saws for work and play, I can assure you chainsaws are not very forgiving when they come in contact with soft tissue and bone....

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I have gone the brush cutting blade on the 18V sawzall route before and been really underwhelmed. The stroke is simply not there. I could definitely cut faster with a handsaw, and the batteries never run out :)

binrat

Observer
I have a hard time picturing any 12V saw being able to accomplish real work. A simple cut here and there, but not clearing debris from a roadway/trail or collecting firewood. My suggestion is to purchase a commercial grade Stihl chainsaw with at least a 20" bar. You'll be able to do serious work with that tool plus it'll last for decades of moderate use with a little routine maintenance. Of course simply owning the tool doesn't make you an expert, so seek professional saw training and purchase the proper PPE. In my 20 years of running saws for work and play, I can assure you chainsaws are not very forgiving when they come in contact with soft tissue and bone....

Good idea. I would like to add, make a mount that is outside your vehicle. I think you stated a Jeep, then possibly off of the back someplace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94