120 -> 200, anyone make the jump?

JLee

Adventurer
First off, I love my GX470. It's just about finished, built conservatively (hidden winch, aluminum skids, sliders, rear bumper). I bought my first one in Jan 2015 and my next two years ago, so I'm at nearly four years with them -- really couldn't ask for anything better (well, a stronger rear diff would be nice), yet I find myself eyeing LX570's.

I'm thinking a stock 200 w/good tires and sliders will probably do everything I want (and my suspicion is that it'll be more capable than my GX is with 32's and a 2" lift). I had an 80 years ago and the overbuilt nature of the LC line is alluring (not to mention the 5.7), plus stepping to something a few years newer would also be nice. Unfortunately I don't have the time to go exploring all that often anymore, so a couple of weekends a year is really all I can aim for now.

Really I suspect that I am getting bored and just want to change things up a bit. Has anyone else switched from a GX/4R to a 200? Thoughts / considerations?

bozochu

Hello. I went from a 15 Trail with icon coil over 2in front and 1 inch rear lift), sliders, 275/70/17 ko2 to a 17 200. My 4R was a awsome truck and did everything I needed to do. I owned both for a short time. Once I bought the 200, I drove it a lot more which led to me selling the 4R. The 200 will go on any trail the 4R can but I think the 4R is little bit more nimble on the tight trails due to weight and size. I wheeled the 200 when it was completely stock and it did everything I need it to do. I kept the 200 over the 4R due to power (for towing my Schutt Trailer...overkill but I will take a v8 over a 6 regardless of trailer size) and space (more then the 4R). The 200 drives like a tank and I feel it’s a simpler vehicle to operate on the trail (it is in 4wd full time so all you really have to do is go to 4lo when needed). The ATrac system is automatic in the 200 as to 4R you have to turn it on and off. Since I have larger tires on the 4R, I was getting about 15-17 mpg on 32’s, with the 200 I am getting about 14-16 on 33’s (current size).

I have recently added 285/70/17 kO2, skids with a basic Donbinson Suspension on its way. I will have to report back on it does on the trail.

JLee

Adventurer
Hello. I went from a 15 Trail with icon coil over 2in front and 1 inch rear lift), sliders, 275/70/17 ko2 to a 17 200. My 4R was a awsome truck and did everything I needed to do. I owned both for a short time. Once I bought the 200, I drove it a lot more which led to me selling the 4R. The 200 will go on any trail the 4R can but I think the 4R is little bit more nimble on the tight trails due to weight and size. I wheeled the 200 when it was completely stock and it did everything I need it to do. I kept the 200 over the 4R due to power (for towing my Schutt Trailer...overkill but I will take a v8 over a 6 regardless of trailer size) and space (more then the 4R). The 200 drives like a tank and I feel it’s a simpler vehicle to operate on the trail (it is in 4wd full time so all you really have to do is go to 4lo when needed). The ATrac system is automatic in the 200 as to 4R you have to turn it on and off. Since I have larger tires on the 4R, I was getting about 15-17 mpg on 32’s, with the 200 I am getting about 14-16 on 33’s (current size).

I have recently added 285/70/17 kO2, skids with a basic Donbinson Suspension on its way. I will have to report back on it does on the trail.

Thanks! My GX470 is full time 4wd with automatic ATRAC as well (and a V8), so a few of those high points are things I already have. I should probably go test drive one and see how it drives. Did you get a Landcruiser or LX570?

I'm getting ~12.5mpg city out of my GX, lol. You're doing pretty good.

bozochu

I have the LC. I went with the LC because I they way they look (I can’t see the front fascia handling trail rash very well), simplicity (lol...if there is such a thing with 200) and it’s less “flash” appeal then the LX. The weird thing about the 200 market is that the LC is cheaper new (not by much) but cost more used compared to a LX. I think it’s due to LC being less common then LX.

If I drive my LC in current config in city it would get around 13-14. Honestly though, if the do not have the need for a larger vehicle the GX is awesome. But if you tow (GX is no slouch), the weight and power increase with LC or LX will be beneficial.

JLee

Adventurer
I have the LC. I went with the LC because I they way they look (I can’t see the front fascia handling trail rash very well), simplicity (lol...if there is such a thing with 200) and it’s less “flash” appeal then the LX. The weird thing about the 200 market is that the LC is cheaper new (not by much) but cost more used compared to a LX. I think it’s due to LC being less common then LX.

If I drive my LC in current config in city it would get around 13-14. Honestly though, if the do not have the need for a larger vehicle the GX is awesome. But if you tow (GX is no slouch), the weight and power increase with LC or LX will be beneficial.
I'm leaning towards the LX due to AHC. Cheaper is nice, too!

13-14mpg city is better than I get in my GX, lol

hayde89

I do not think this is necessarily true. AHC is a very robust system that can definitely handle the weight. The problem is that people do not understand it. It's all just simple hydraulics. I had it on mu LX 470 and loved it. Unfortunately mine needed some repairs and I was a naysayer and ripped it out. I regret that now. Cost me 1800 to replace and the repair would have cost me 300. This is a failure after 174k so you tell me which is a better suspension? I would love to see any other suspension that is aftermarket go that long and still perform. But this is just my 2 cents. When I make the jump up to a 200 it will def be something I will consider. Not to mention there are plenty of guys that are running bigger tires, bumpers and sliders on these things.

bozochu

I agree. If you don’t mod, whether it’s the desire or the need, lx is fine. But if you want to to install aftermarket suspension you can’t with out running into issues. I do not know the AHC system, but I would imagine it being tied in to the electronics. If the OP want to get it and mod it, the AHC may be a limiting factor.)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I agree. If you don’t mod, whether it’s the desire or the need, lx is fine. But if you want to to install aftermarket suspension you can’t with out running into issues. I do not know the AHC system, but I would imagine it being tied in to the electronics. If the OP want to get it and mod it, the AHC may be a limiting factor.)

Pretty sure ahc is 100% hydraulic. Zero electronics involved in it.

MTSN

Explorer
Pretty sure ahc is 100% hydraulic. Zero electronics involved in it.

The AHC in the 200 series LX is so firmly ingrained in the stability control and electronics suite in the truck that it for all intents and purposes cannot be removed. Slee has used an LX for their shop truck for a couple of years and have not been able to do anything to remove it even though they’d like to. I have an LX570 and a 16 LC, and the LX is amazing for what it is but I still prefer the LC platform for modding. I’ve wheeled the LX stock on 34” KO2s and it does better than just about anything out there in stock form, but I put my build dollars into the LC.

CSG

Explorer
The only thing I can contribute to this thread is my own experience shopping for a used LC100 back in 2009. I ended up with an LX because of two reasons, they were, in general, available for less money with less miles for the same years. I found my 2002 LX with miles in the low 60's for something like $21-22k from a Lexus dealer no less. I couldn't find a similar LC for anything close. In hindsight, I'm glad I got the LX, it's a nicer ride for less money than the LC. The only "mod" I did was remove the running boards and changed the tires to KO2's a couple years ago from the C load AT Big O's that were on the vehicle when I bought it.

JLee

Adventurer

The more vehicles I own, the more they trend towards stock. If I do get an LX, it'll probably have stock/slightly oversized tires, sliders, and maybe skids (not sure what OEM skids are like) and that's it.

bozochu

The factory skids on my 200 made my factory 4Runner skids look like an upgrade. I don’t understand why they put a steel on the front section and plastic on the front diff skid. They could of made it of steel like the first section. I did manage to dinged up the steel section of my skid this last trip to Sedona. After seeing the ding on the steel...I did not want to find out what the plastic section would take. I installed the arb skids because it became a must for me.

JLee

Adventurer
The factory skids on my 200 made my factory 4Runner skids look like an upgrade. I don’t understand why they put a steel on the front section and plastic on the front diff skid. They could of made it of steel like the first section. I did manage to dinged up the steel section of my skid this last trip to Sedona. After seeing the ding on the steel...I did not want to find out what the plastic section would take. I installed the arb skids because it became a must for me.
Ok -- in that case, I would likely do the same. ARB skids, Slee sliders, stock or stock+1 tires and call it a day.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I recently sold my beloved 2006 4runner and a bought a 2013 Landcruiser.

The landcruiser is awesome. The power is huge, it’s so smooth. So far I’ve removed the third row and added 285/70/17 BFG ATs. I’m really liking it.

Comparing it to the 4runner is tough. I debated the move for a long time. The land cruiser is incrementally bigger, more powerful, more comfortable, offers better visabiilty, quieter. It’s much less efficient around town (11-13mpg) and slightly less efficient on the highway (16-19mpg). Range is reduced ~30-45 miles per tank.

The stock suspension of the 200 is much worse than the icon kit I had on my 4runner (duh!). But, I do like the road characteristics of the lc200 kdss. The braking feel is also worse and HID lights are worse than the xenondepot HIDs I had in my 4runner. The stock JBL stereo in the LC200 is also worse than the stock JBL from the 4runner.

The cargo area of the LC200 with the third row removed, had the same width as the 4runner wall to wall. It’s a few inches taller, and a few inches deeper.

The electronic nannies were not a reason I bought the lc200, but they are growing on me. Radar cruise is the ********, parking sensors, backup camera, front and rear cameras, all good (resolution sucks though). Kids love watching dvds and the radio headphones work great.

Lots is small betterment’s add up to a greater sum. I think on a scale of 1-10.

The LC is an 8.5. -1 for efficiency, -.5 for tank size, -.5 for no upgradeability of headunit

The 4runner is 7.75. Slightly worse in most categories, much in overall luxury and comfort. Much better in city efficiency and slightly better in highway efficiency

Both are great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles