12 volt inline switch

RedF

Adventurer
Looking for a 12 volt inline switch, rocker, or push button (latched) I have a couple of projects in mind, but I simply cannot find the switch I want. I'm sure they're out there, but I just cannot find them. Any leads?

This would be great, in 12 volt, and in North America, or maybe even better from Ebay China.

The last ditch effort would be install my own switch in an enclosure, with strain reliefs on each end, but it will be bulky, and way more expensive.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
How much current does it need to carry?

If it's low current stuff, ACE Hardware carries decent switches of all types.

Or a real electrical house like Del City, Waytek etc

Or if you need to carry large currents a Marine battery switch from West Marine will do the job.

A briefsearch on Amazon came up with hundreds of choices. Start there.

Last edited:

RedF

Adventurer
I appreciate all the suggestions, but I don't think you comprehend what I'm looking for. With the exception of some 2-ish amp rated switches- typically with barrel connectors, I have found very few 12 volt inline switches. The few I have found, I'm skeptical that they are actually a 12 volt switch.

I'm hoping for something in the 10 amp range.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If it has two conductors, voltage doesnt matter.

You can even use household AC voltage inline switches if you want.

All you need to do is verify it is adequate for the intended amperage.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If you just need a basic inline IP-65 switch pretty simple to order from China (which is where they all come from anyways)

Something like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/204-waterproof-in-line-switch-cord-switch/32294714004.html

You can get five delivered for $17.95 (US, CA YMMV)

I order bunches of electrical stuff from China. As long as you can wait the couple of weeks to get it, it will be the same stuff you would get locally but much cheaper.

RedF

Adventurer
If you just need a basic inline IP-65 switch pretty simple to order from China (which is where they all come from anyways)

Something like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/204-waterproof-in-line-switch-cord-switch/32294714004.html

You can get five delivered for $17.95 (US, CA YMMV)

I order bunches of electrical stuff from China. As long as you can wait the couple of weeks to get it, it will be the same stuff you would get locally but much cheaper.

Never thought to check aliexpress. Thanks.

There are dozens of these type switches, But usually rated but a couple amps AC.
Leviton used to or still does make a 10A AC switch.
But remember,
If not specifically DC rating applied, rule of thumb is 60% derating if using an AC switch for DC. (Still within the AC voltage rating of course) Realistically one can get by exceeding that 60% rule quite alot, Just realise longevity may suffer somewhat.

Anyway, That switch linked to. Aside from apparently not a Listed or Recognised Component (Maybe it is,, I dunno.) claimed rating 6A.
But...
Its a double pole switch. If it suits your purposes to switch only a single pole, Its contacts could be doubled up. Essentially then 12A.

I've never heard the 60% rule. I've always followed the rule that AC is AC, and DC is DC, as running DC through an AC switch will arc and pit/erode the contacts, causing premature failure. To what extent, I've never known, but always surmised it would depend on the current.

Thanks for the info.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
One thing to keep in mind, especially when dealing with high amp applications, is you can use a relay. Put the high amp relay in your engine bay, near the battery, or wherever it's closest to it's application. Then run the low amp triggering switch into your cab, or control panel.

Then you don't have to worry about an improperly wired switch, corrosion, grounding, shorting or an other electrical issues turning your switch into a mini electric chair. Plus it can cut down on the lengths of high gauge wire you need to run.

RedF

Adventurer
One thing to keep in mind, especially when dealing with high amp applications, is you can use a relay. Put the high amp relay in your engine bay, near the battery, or wherever it's closest to it's application. Then run the low amp triggering switch into your cab, or control panel.

Then you don't have to worry about an improperly wired switch, corrosion, grounding, shorting or an other electrical issues turning your switch into a mini electric chair. Plus it can cut down on the lengths of high gauge wire you need to run.

For the intended purpose, a relay isn't realistic.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I appreciate the OP's request as I've recently installed a Blue Sea Systems 6 Circuit Blade Fuse Block with Cover

blue-sea-5028-6-circuit-blade-fuse-block-with-cover_580.jpg

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-5028-6-circuit-fuse-block?gclid=CPTjwp3N9M0CFZJlfgoduBgODA

I used 4 AWG (gauge) wire from the battery (positive & negative) running it to the back of my JKUR Jeep to the Fuse Block. I'd like very much to install a switch capable of supporting the up to 80A load possible to run to the fuse block.

Any suggestions?

RedF

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles