12 volt from vehicle to trailers battery.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I want a better charge rate going to my trailer battery, meaning the 10ga wire from the 7 way plug is not cutting it. I have jumper cable style anderson plugs on the front and rear of the truck and I was going to make a harness out of 6ga wire from west marine. Question is what would be the best way for the wire to enter the nose box and still keeping it more or less water tight? I looked inside the trailer's control box no room for a 6ga wire. Not really wanting to drill a hole in the nose box but I might have to. Any ideas would be great, see pictures below of the harness I made. My thought was to drill 2 holes about 3/8 in the box use a plastic insert like on a cb radio mount to isolate the ssbolt from the inside of the holes metal, run external cable to that with a anderson plug so I can disconnect it. and then hard wire the inside of the box to the battery fused ect . Any thoughts.

Attachments

• DSC02828.JPG
    DSC02828.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02829.JPG
    DSC02829.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Thanks Mitch, I already have welding cable running to the plug on the truck 1 oo. The 6ga should be plenty to run from the truck to the new deka battery. I will look into grainger tonight, I really did not want to drill holes but looks like I have no choice. Your like Red the man who know how to find things,got a rock hammer?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Yep so many ways - 120 volt set-up

120 volt inverter hard wired to vehicle battery, 120 volt outdoor 12 gauge extension cord to rear of vehicle, another 12 guage extension cord from trailer tongue to trailer battery, charge trailer battery with a 120 volt battery charger.

Advantages:
Much thinner guage wires
Easy connection between trail and vehicle
Best way to fully charge the trailer battery
Inverter can be used for many other uses, like wife's hair dryer, drink mixer etc

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Not looking to add anything more electrical to my truck I have enough stuff already, neat idea.
Yep so many ways - 120 volt set-up

120 volt inverter hard wired to vehicle battery, 120 volt outdoor 12 gauge extension cord to rear of vehicle, another 12 guage extension cord from trailer tongue to trailer battery, charge trailer battery with a 120 volt battery charger.

Advantages:
Much thinner guage wires
Easy connection between trail and vehicle
Best way to fully charge the trailer battery
Inverter can be used for many other uses, like wife's hair dryer, drink mixer etc

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Project is now done, just a couple of pictures of the work.

Attachments

• DSC02830.JPG
    DSC02830.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02831.JPG
    DSC02831.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02832.JPG
    DSC02832.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 316

Forum statistics

Threads