12 volt from vehicle to trailers battery.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I scanned over the thread, looks good.

Did you put a re-setable breaker or fuse under the hood as close to the main battery as possible?

4RunAmok

Explorer
That's a good point when we do this we usually put a 150 amp breaker at both ends of the cable as close to each battery as possible

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Yes I did, the connector from the truck goes to the second battery for emergency starting and jumping, which is in the bed of the truck. The breaker is about 8 inches from the battery, I can also isolate it from the main battery too. The starting battery is only connected to the rear battery when the truck is starting and running. If the main battery fails the Painless system is switched on and all comes alive again.

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
looks good. Did you use the smaller 50a or bigger 175a connectors? I still need to connect mine up.

cheers,

G

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I used the big blue connectors. I already had them from a jumper cable set I have, if I were to guess 175amp or so.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Well after the MTRV the system worked great. I arrived home plugged in the charger and it only ran for about an hour. In the past the charger would run for at least 5-8 hrs before the green charging would even come on dull. Very pleased.

4RunAmok

Explorer
That's awesome! I meant to take a closer look at your work at the MRV, but just hanging around not thinking about wires was more fun! :D

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I scanned over the thread, looks good.

Did you put a re-setable breaker or fuse under the hood as close to the main battery as possible?

Funny you mentioned that Martyn. Just did it last week end a few years late.

Attachments

• DSC03807.JPG
    DSC03807.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03806.JPG
    DSC03806.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
So I'm thinking about doing something similar. The idea though is to "bring up the charge" while at the campsite and not have the tailpipe pointed at the campsite. The connection would be inside the engine bay and I'd run it to the trailer. Shorter run from the battery/alternator to the trailer (nose close to wherever I would have the entry into the trailer).

To those that have done it - how much of an improvement have you seen? I'm thinking about either 4 gauge or 6 gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior