12 Rubicon vs 14 Rubicon

rubicon91

Explorer
I posted this on a few Jeep forums but curious about thoughts here as well. I am pondering changing up and getting a new jeep. I have a couple of options and was curious on opinions. I kind of know which way I want to go however I just want to make sure I am not missing anything in regards to the different years. I am looking at a 12 Rubicon 410 gears 6 speed manual hardtop. 24xxx miles. Other option is a 14 Rubicon 373 gears automatic soft top less than 1k miles. So I have always had a stick. Love them however automatic kinda sounds nice as well but 373 gears and auto scares me. I am leaning towards the 12. Any reason not to? I have a 12 sport manual currently. Plan is a 2-3 inch lift 35's. I have a gobi rack on order for current jeep so I am thinking auto 373 would need regearing due to it being an auto. Pricing is close between them due to other options on 12 that 14 doesn't happen. Is there any reason I should look at 14 besides being 2 years newer? Thanks for the input.

Terex

Adventurer
Yeah, check a dedicated Jeep forum for cylinder head replacement issue. If in the production run that had a problem, and head's been replaced, shouldn't be a problem re other significant issues.

Idahoan

Adventurer
Why wouldn't you get the 14 with 410s? Is the 14 new?

Stick or auto... Driving conditions and your personal preference.

I have a 13 with auto, 410s and 34" tires.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It's odd that the '14 doesn't have 4:10 gearing. Sure it's a Ruby? If it for sure is a Ruby, I'd go that direction. You're going to want 4:88 gearing with 35's anyway, or possibly one notch down from there. Certainly with the 6 speed '12, which I think will want to change gearing as well. So given that, why wouldn't go with the newer MY? In my opinion, driving an auto through rocks is a MUCH smoother, gentler experience, which is easier on the man and the machine.

siebermd

Adventurer
I currently have a Sahara with the 373 and a Rubicon with the 410. The difference is significant, and I would not get a Rubicon without the lower gearing. Unless you are just planning on going to the mall.

Maxcustody

Explorer
The 14's do not come with 4.10 standard unless you get the 6 spd manual, like I did....An auto, you will most likely get the 3.73.......seems to be the norm for the Rubicon on dealer lots

lysol

Explorer
The 14's do not come with 4.10 standard unless you get the 6 spd manual, like I did....An auto, you will most likely get the 3.73.......seems to be the norm for the Rubicon on dealer lots

Unless you special order it with 4.10 in an Auto like I did. Certainly adds some pep to it.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The old days when all Rubicons had 4.10 is over. I'd go with the 3.73 as incentive to upgrade to the 4.88 they need.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Interesting, surprising, and honestly a bit disappointing. Seems like a dilution of what Rubicons are. Still a 4:1 transfer case or has that changed too?

As for 35's with a 4:10, yes, you can, but.... I did for several years with my 2006 Ruby LJ with an Auto trans and 4.0L motor. I wished for 4:88's nearly every day:)

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

I would go for a auto and it is great and it is slightly more "powerful" that the manual stick. It is also much easier to tackle difficult terrain with auto.

See gear chart here

6395189429_b39b861446_z.jpg

Compared to the older 3.8 engine, the Pentastar + 5 speed automatic have much more power, and probably thats why the went from standard 4.1 to 3.73 on auto Rubicon

643023d1373064828t-help-me-understand-3-21-vs-3-73-vs-4-10-axle-ratio-jks-iphone-bkp-12-june-2017-017.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
The reason the auto's come with a 3.73 standard in a Rubicon is because the transmission is lower geared than a stick. Looking at the axle ratio alone will tell you nothing compared to the bigger picture of overall gearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles